10 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

I took my 9 year old step daughter out Saturday morning to let her shoot a firearm for the first time. She had shown interest in what I was doing so I was all too happy to take her out shooting! Posted Image She did very well and hit a lot more targets than I was suspecting. The only problem was the adult stock made it very hard for her to shoulder the rifle and get close enough to the scope to see anything.Anyway, I was hoping someone here might have found a youth sized stock for a 10/22 that they liked and could recommend. Any input is appreciated!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:05 PM

I would just cut it down to fit her. Not all the way but something she can shoot for awhile. Buy a replacement composite stock they're cheap. Then you can put a better barrel on it too. :(

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

Yep, a bandsaw and a rasp will make any factory beech stock,'kid friendly'. Some of the aftermarket synthetic stocks are actually an inch or so longer than stock and fit most people better. Just make sure that when you cut the stock down that the total length is longer than 26", to keep out of trouble with the BATFE.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I will know in the morning if this deal is going through or not... I've got one located for $100. The guy doesn't use it any more and wants to make room in his safe. If this goes through I will have her shoulder it and see if it will fit her... sounds like its stock may be a little shorter than most and just might fit her.I will also likely convert it to the 17 HM II if I get my hands on it. It would be a perfect little round for her to plink with and if she ever decides she wants hunt it would be a better all puprose round than that 22LR, IMHO.

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

Heath Save the piece you cut off so as she grows you can add back with alittle epoxy.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

Heath Save the piece you cut off so as she grows you can add back with alittle epoxy.

Good advice ... wil do!

#7 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:13 PM

Heath, You might take a look on E-bay. Wood stocks for the 10/22 go pretty cheap.

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

10-4 Rod. I know the gun shops always have a pile of them from restocking jobs. I bet Heath if you can't rustle up a original stock I know I can.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

I hadn't considered cutting down the one that is on it. That would work well, I think. I will know in the AM if the deal on this rifle is going to go through or not. Hopefully I the guy that was looking at it last week didnt return a call tonight and its mine in the AM!I've been reading lots of great things about the 17 HM 2 and will likely convert it down the road. She's very tender hearted and don't see her hunting any time soon, but if she does the that little 17 caliber would be ideal for rabbits and the ocassional ground squirrel!

#10 Sully

Sully

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Auto Racing

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:24 AM

I got a brand new youth 10 22 wood stock on Ebay, a few months ago for $20. I set it up for my 8 year old and the lenght is perfect.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

Thanks, Sully. I will go have a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users