7 replies to this topic

#1 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

I, having recieved advice that you get what you pay for when it comes to scopes, have decided to shell out a little extra $ and get a nicer scope than I was planning on. I am looking at a Hawke or a mueller, but also am considering a Nikon Prostaff or Burris Fullfield II. Which of these types is best for medium range hunting?(200-500 yards)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#2 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

Literally just discovered this item, does anyone know about these redhead pursuit sereis scopes and if so are they comparable to the ones I mentioned above?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

The Redhead scope is a contract scope. That means that the mass retailer has contracted a factory in Asia to manufacture that scope for them. The scope is built to the quality standard set by the retailer (how much they want to pay per unit). It's probably a decent scope for under $100.00. Stick with the lower 3-9 model and you'll get the best clarity for $$ spent. Just don't mount it on some heavy recoiling rifle and you should be fine with it. Check the warranty details and enjoy. You must be a heck of a marksman if your idea of medium range hunting is 300 to 500 yards.Oh, and no, that scope would not be fairly compared to any of the scopes you mentioned above. It is built to sell and will most likely meet the needs of occasional shooters.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Yea, I gotta agree with Desert Dog on this one. If you are planning on shooting up to 500 yards, the whole discussion needs to be reworked. The cheap scopes just won't do it. You need to get yourself some really good glass. Give some careful consideration to what you are really going to be doing with this scope, post that and the discussion can begin again.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

What I mean by medium hunting range is that its not like those 1,000 yards shots you see on hunting shows that require specialized computer calculated bullet drop and wind-compensating scopes. I don't believe in that type of stuff as its not really hunting, the animal has no fair chance. The only time I took a 500 yard shot was on a Coues Deer, the wind was blowing downrange and I couldn't get to him so I had to take the shot (had a great rest and a nice Leupold scope that has sadly since broken). He knew soomething was up and was getting spooked. I hit him in the lungs with a broad side shot and will probably never shoot that far again, just saying I might have the occasion. Most shots out here are 100-250 yards, some further, though not much. And I'm still seeing if I can get a new Leupold but my budget won't allow for a $300-$900 scope. Thanks for the info.

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

If you broke a Leupold send it back to them and they will fix it. Also check out used ones on e-bay etc.

#7 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

I put a Leupold VX-II 3-9x50 on top of my Remington 700 .22-250 and I gotta say, that's some sweet glass. I think I paid around $389.00 for it at the Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas a few years back. It has 1/4 MOA adjustments, which I thought was pretty cool. I know you said that you don't have the dough for a scope in the $300.00 to $900.00 range, but I think that it's worth the money, even if you have to save up for it for a little while longer. What kind of thunder stick will you be putting yours on?
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#8 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

Putting it on my brand new Ruger m77 walnut stocked rocky mountain elk foundation special edition in 30-06.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users