• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

I'm going to ask a question that is really quite embarassing to have to ask. I've been shooting shotguns my whole life but have never had to worry about shooting steel shot. Now with the lead free BS I do. If I shoot steel in a shotgun that isn't designed to shoot steel am I going to damage the barrel or just the choke or both. I need a little guidance. I don't want to mess up my shotties. Thanks.Ty :tinfoilhatsmile:

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Steel shot and full chokes don't work. Steel works better in open chokes Imp. Cyl. or Lt Mod. If you have screw in chokes do some experimenting. If you don't have screw in chokes you can send the barrel out to have them installed or have a smith ream out your barrel to a more open choke.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#3 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Need more info on what shotgun you are going to use, what are you going to use it on and the load you plan on using.

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

Steel does not work very good on coyotes. The Hevi-Shot "B" waterfowl loads or the Remington Wingmaster HD "BB" Waterfowl loads work much better and are not as hard on the barrel and chokes. The extra money that you spend on the good heavier than lead loads over the steel loads is just not that much when you figure in how many shotgun shells you use on coyotes per year.Keep your eyes open for sales and rebates in the off season for the good high density loads. Federal, Winchester, Hevi-Shot and Remington are all making heavier than lead loads that out perform steel by a long ways.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Gunorea and Dabob,I've been taking a Mossberg 500 with a straight pipe or a Winchester Model 50 with a cuts compensator. I haven't shot the Winchester with steel yet because I don't want to mess up my compensator. I'm hunting yotes. I usually carry #2 steel winchester loads at 1550fps in a 2.75" in shell. They are pretty good but I haven't tried the other loads you're talking about. So what you're telling me too is that if I have an improved barrel the steel won't hurt my gun? I really only need to worry about my choke for the most part?Ty :tinfoilhatsmile:

#6 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

Steel shot works for Coyotes. I killed two dogs, one right after the other using 31/2" #4 Kent fast steel at 70 yrds. One went down instantly and the other went about 80 yrds before he went down. At the time I had a Carlson's extended range Waterfowl choke in. When it comes to Steel shot, the problem is in the choke section. If your barrel isn't designed for steel shot and you try to "Compress" the shot by using a Mod-Full choke, it could cause the barrel to swell at the muzzle. I don't think you will have to much of a problem in the Mossberg since it's IC, but it also depends on how much steel shot your talking about, that's just my opinion. The Fast Steel shot loads like Kent and Federal pushing 1550 FPS are harder on the barrels of course but like I said, you should be fine since you have an IC. (but don't hold me to this! ) You should really ask a gun smith or even a dealer. Barrels with chokes are fairly cheap for those guns, or I would even consider just buying another gun that is designed for steel shot if you plan on shooting a lot of it. That my :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Do not shoot steel thru the model 50. They are probably one of the best designed autoloaders ever but it's just not a good idea to cram steel shot through the really thin forcing cone of the floating chamber. I shoot hevi-shot thru my 50 when I take it out duck hunting.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

I haven't shot any steel through the Model 50. I agree that the model 50 is one of the best autos ever made and I love it to much to hurt her. I feel that the model 50 is one of the most unknown and underrated shotguns of our time. Everyone always talks about all the new stuff but you can't find a nicer shooting and more reliable shotgun. I like the old ones call me crazy. Thanks for the input I really appreciate it.Ty :tinfoilhatsmile:

#9 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

I still take the M-59 out a couple times a year, the lightweight version of the 50.

#10 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

I shoot Remington Steel Shot through my Mossberg 500 all the time with a modified choke. Full Choke and tighter are not able to be used with steel shot at all. This was the first year where I put about 300 rounds of steel shot through it, so I will see next year how the barell does fairs out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users