15 replies to this topic

#1 Philthy

Philthy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

I got a turkey hunting trip coming up end of march, and I saw that Big 5 has boots on sale, they are Coleman boots, both hiking and work, my question is two fold: 1) How important is it that your shoes match the rest of your camo, and more importantly, 2) am I wasting my money if I by $40 hiking boots from Big 5? I'm new to the outdoor camping/hunting sports, and Big 5 seems to have incredible deals, are they too good to be true? Thanks, I'll take all the advice I can get.

#2 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Having your camo "match" isn't nearly as big a deal as having camo that just breaks up your outline. BUT....I wouldn't wear big 5 boots if you paid me. Mainly because I am a firm believer in if my feet are happy so am I, when my feet hurt because of cheap or ill fitting footwear it can RUIN a great trip. If they fit and they COMFORTABLE might be worth it for you. I've looked at what they have to offer several times and have never been impressed.Personally I wear Rocky's and Danner's and have never been let down.Oh yeah...get the best most COMFORTABLE boots you can afford.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

..guess I had better not mention the Walmart shoe extravaganza... :signs1242cn:

#4 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

some people can wear cheap boots some cant I can wear some cheap boots but not very many all depends how picky you are about how your feet feel

#5 Guest_Shahan_*

Guest_Shahan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

i bought a pair of itascha devils ridge i think they are called for like 40 at big 5 and wore them to idaho deer hunting last year....did alot of walking steep stuff and i was impressed, ive bought a new pair of rockys that are more comfortable but for cheap boots my feet were warm and pretty comfy too id say go for it....i hear hi techs from big 5 arent bad either

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

I got the Timberland Earthkeepers...no break-in period, very comfy on long hikes...not too heavy and reasonably priced.http://www.metacafe....and_commercial/

#7 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

Big 5 Itasch brand, I bout some for 15 bucks, been hunting, atv hiking in them still comfortable a joy to wear! They even have them for 30 bucks in camo...just get em...wear em and pick em up and set em down!

#8 GVOllie

GVOllie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:44 AM

I've bought three different pairs of hiking boots at Big 5 in the last 2 months. Two for me and one for my kid. I've been out hiking a half a dozen times with one pair and they feel great. This pair isn't even the waterproof ones, and I've managed to keep the feet warm and dry. The waterproof ones I've worn a few times shoveling snow and they have been great. All that said, if I were going to spend a week in the woods with miles and miles a day of chasing prey, I would probably opt for for something better.

#9 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

I wear Coleman leather hiking boots from Big 5. This is my second pair and I've already purchased a third pair for when this one wears out. I've had these about a year and wear them just about every day. They are water proof which is great for the farm and for hunting. They fit me really good and are comfortable to wear plus they take a beating. They are a bit warm for summer wear though. I used to wear HITECH boots because my aunt works there but they cost more and didn't last as long as the Colemans I can get at Big 5.

#10 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

My Boy and I have both purchashed our hunting boots at Big5 and are happy with them, You can't beat their prices and so far the quality is very good.

#11 Hunter Dude

Hunter Dude

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

whatever boot you get make sure they are waterproof and that the tongue of the boot is sewen into the lacing area of the boot. This way the whole front of the boot is waterproof as well and not just the sides. If the tongue moves freely than any water coming over the sidewall of the shoe is coming in. I have a special orthodic for my feet since I destroyed my ankle. I have found that many shoes change once you remove the stock insole and replace it. Sometimes an uncomfortable pair of boots can melt your feet like butter with a simple change. Most of all get whats comfortable. You dont want to regret saving a few bucks on boots when your feet are dying and your a couple miles from the truck.

#12 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

I just replaced a 40 or 50 $$ pair of some " cant remember " from Sportsmart years ago . I put them through alot of wear / hiking , water , etc . I dove hunting & my feet were numb . turned out that the seam between the sole & body gave out . My feet get COLD & I am always the coldest person , period . I settled on Irish Setters (Red Wing makes them ) " I" like RedWings , wore them when I framed houses . But the boots are way watertight , 10" saved my ankles twice, insulated 1000 gram and I hiked , my a** of going fishing the last 2 days in the low 40's. thats what I needed in a boot so thats what I bought . I wanted the 1400 or even the 2000 gram but they don't carry them as "this is California " . their words . I say buy what fits your needs . the more $$ they are, the longer they should last , more comfort ,.... But thats just me , Andy

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

zippy take a look at cabelas they carry all the good line of hunting boots ,gortex insulated for the cold.

#14 travelin4fun

travelin4fun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Hunting,Guns,Boats, traveling, cooking, reading and just about anything outdoors. My hunting expirence has been waterfawl and upland game birds. Preditor hunting is a whole new thing for me.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

Check out these guys!!I got a $179.00 pair of Gor-tex Thinsulate Boots for $59.99. Name brand Boots and all outdoor clothing cheep!!! My Boot are great, light weight and super warm. super fast shipping and no tax.url="http://www.sierratradingpost.com

#15 travelin4fun

travelin4fun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Hunting,Guns,Boats, traveling, cooking, reading and just about anything outdoors. My hunting expirence has been waterfawl and upland game birds. Preditor hunting is a whole new thing for me.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

Check out these guys!!I got a $179.00 pair of Gor-tex Thinsulate Boots for $59.99. Name brand Boots and all outdoor clothing cheep!!! My Boot are great, light weight and super warm. super fast shipping and no tax. http://www.sierratradingpost.com

#16 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

I guess I'll put my two cents in here. I spent most of my summers in boots fighting brush fires and let me just say this is the one place not to be cheap. A good pair of boots lasted me two years and at the end of the time they were trashed. These boots cost around three hundred a pair and usually the vibram soles were gone because most of the time I was in Lava rock with these fires. Your feet are two important to wear cheap boots. I wear the cabelas light weight upland bird boot, because I found I'm too old to carry around a whole bunch of weight on my feet, however most of my hunting is bird hunting and I don't need really heavy boots. The worst possible thing is too go hunting and be miserable and have to walk with sore feet. The one inexpensive boot I found that was comfortable was the boots made by rocky and they were fairly durable. Save money other places rather than boots. Two items where you should buy the best you can afford, optics and boots, you depend on these more than your gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users