13 replies to this topic

#1 dirtnap

dirtnap

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

I have a few hides that need to be tanned. I would rather send them out to someone, rather than do it myself. Who do you use, and what do they charge? Thanks.

#2 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

Find a Tandy leather store near you. They carry a product called "Tannit". A bottle that says it will tan two deer hides costs about $40. I bought one and tanned a squirrel. It worked.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,147 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

I like and use USA Foxx & Furs. They are very good and a single coyote costs $22.http://www.usafoxx.c...g-pricelist.htm

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

Before you hit the tandy store WHAT are you wanting to do with these hides and what are they.. If this is coyotes/bobcats and you want them dry tanned nice and soft so you can drape over the sofa or hang on the wall send them to a tannery. You will need to split the eyes, lips nose and turn the ears and take the paws down to the last knuckle leaving the claw attached.. Also split the tail open clear to the tip.. Remove all meat, fat and membrane, Salt them real good for 24 hours,. shake off and resalt again once all fulids are drained and hide is getting ALMOST to the crispy stage you will need to fold it up skin side OUT and place in a box to dry the rest of the way..If you try and fold it when its completely dry it will break..Squirrels are small very thin skinned.. coyotes are thicker skinned ... then we have deer and such that actually need to be shaved thin.. WIldlife fur dressers in Ceres charges 42.00 for coyotes but there is a 50.00 minimum, has to be salt dried otherwise there is a prep/salt fee although Im pretty sure they dont take in raw... so figure if you do the prep yourself send 2 so you arent wasting the extra bucks..Also the shipping charges are extra so plan on that if you dont take them in yourself.. I charge 150.00 for coyote wall hangers.. I do everything you just bring in the skin or the whole animal and you get back a soft nice dry tanned skin.. There is one in TUrlock called Golden State that Ive not used before.. dont know what they charge.. Another in the bay area but I dont know their name.. should be in a phone book I would think.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,147 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Here is the website for Golden State Tannery in Turlock.http://www.goldensta...om/contact.htmlBut they don't show any prices.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:18 AM

Here is the website for Golden State Tannery in Turlock.http://www.goldensta...om/contact.htmlBut they don't show any prices.

I had them send me their price list a while back. If you email them they will shoot you a copy.I believe a coyote/bobcat was 35.00...very reasonable. I think Switch had a few done here.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#7 dirtnap

dirtnap

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the detailed information. I have a bobcat, and grey fox needing a tan.

#8 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Golden state did a great job on my stuff. About $35 per coyote/bobcat pelt. Check out post No. 28 on this post for a look at the finish product.http://www.californi...showtopic=17821

#9 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

I've used Golden State before. They do pretty good work and showed me the facility while I was there.

#10 spoolin01

spoolin01

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

The tanner in South San Francisco is New Method Fur Dressing (New Method FD). It's a big operation. I've had deer skins done there for a good price, but they raised prices to the public awhile back. They don't do or send out for leather any longer.

#11 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Coppertone? Hawaiian Tropic? :angry2:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#12 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

golden state tannery in turlock does a very good job if you just want a dry tan. something to hang on the wall or drape over something. prices are very reasonable compared to taxidermists. they except raw hides, the salting fee is $3.00 and splitting and turning is only like $10.00 to $12.00. for coyote and bobcats, you're looking at about $50.00 if you drop it off raw. as far as their wet tans, i have not been happy with them. i took in 3 deer hides last year(i normally do them myself) to be wet tanned for mounting and will never go back. they will still get my business for dry tans but for tans that need to be mounted, i will do them myself.

#13 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

supposed to say "hides that need to be mounted" and not "tans that need to be mounted". my bad.

#14 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:43 AM

Hey nje, next time you see an error in a post that you want to fix, just click on the edit button (bottom right). fix it then re post the edited version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users