7 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

Whadda you guys like for shooting yotes to deer w/ a .243? Hornady seems to be popular. I like to shoot heavier grains but am unsure what the Howa 20" - 1:14 twist barrel can stabilize. Thinking boattail is my best bet...am I wrong? Still trying to figure out all this ballistics stuff. TIA

#2 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

most likley your barrel in a 243 is a 1-9". One bullet to do both deer and coyote . I would use a remington 80 grain power lokt hollow points. Extremley accurate not cheap at 33.00 per box. I have killed lots of big boars with this and all are bang-flop.

#3 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

I questioned Howa via phone, they said 1:14.EDIT: Turns out it was not the Howa site but a cheap knock-off and the guy knew nothing. The twist IS 1:10. www.howa1500.com is not Howa the Mfr.Cleaned my desk out (something I do about once every 4 years or so) and found an old BassPro gift card w/ $50. on it so I ordered a couple of boxes. Wow! $78. (w/ shipping) for 40 rounds...this stuff ain't cheap!

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Boat tails are longer than regular spitzers bullets of similar weight so they require a faster twist. Remember that required twist is dependent upon the bullets length not weight. A 1:10" twist will stabilize a 100 grain spitzer hunting bullet but might not stabilize a 100 grain match bullet because the sleeker profile and boat tail makes them a lot longer.Personaly, I prefer the 85 and 95 grain Nosler Partitions bullets for medium game hunting with the 243. I have used the Hornady Interlocks for 30+ years and have never had a failure in them either. Try the 100 grain flatbase.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#5 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Sounds good, thanks Frank. Just got an email from BassPro cancelling my order-no stock.

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

Cleaned my desk out (something I do about once every 4 years or so) and found an old BassPro gift card w/ $50. on it so I ordered a couple of boxes. Wow! $78. (w/ shipping) for 40 rounds...this stuff ain't cheap!

That's why I load my own. I can reload my 243 with premium bullets and loaded for maximum accuracy in my gun for less than $20/box
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

I wish I had the time. Time is the currency I am in short supply of. Seems i must work longer, harder and smarter to make it these days.

#8 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

Well Bruce your not alone
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users