4 replies to this topic

#1 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Like many of you I also have an e-caller, mine happens to be a foxpro 416B with the TX5-LR remote. Bought it a few years ago and can't remember what I paid for it but I'm sure it was a few hundred dollars. Looking at what goes into these units, how do they justify the asking price. What makes an e-caller worth anywhere from a couple of hundred to nearly a thousand dollars? They don't seem to have that much technology in them compared to other electronic devices. You could get a pretty nice flat screen TV for the price of a Prairie Blaster.I was watching Predator Nation the other day and Fred shot a bobcat, and after processing the hide, I believe he said he sold it for $340.00. So a couple of bobcats and a coyote would pay for an e-caller pretty quick. Is that how the e-call companies justify their asking price? I don't know of anybody in Ca. selling fur for that kind of money, or if it's even legal.Don't get me wrong I do enjoy my e-caller, because I usually hunt alone and in thick cover it's nice to get the sound away from you. I just can't believe the asking price for something so simple. Basically a radio with a remote. I guess that's why alot of guys build or attempt to build their own.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

We have been using a homebuilt driven by an MP3 player for years and the sound quality, etc volume, is excellent (about $50 in it but it uses a 75' wire instead of a remote). My son is "designing' a new e-caller using one of our existing IPods for the next remote version. We will see how it goes.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

I would think that research of developement would be on the expensive side. There are FCC licenses im sure that are required to build the remotes. How about all of those animal sounds? Someone has to record/edit those as well. In all actuality the prices have come down in the last year. The Fury with more features is less expensive than an FX5 was 2 years ago. I guess it depends upon how you look at it?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

I would agree with Ornery. Plus you need a trappers license to sell pelts in California. There's a test and after you read the "California Department of Fish & Game Trapping License Examination Reference Guide." It's 185 pages by the way. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Then if you pass the test there is a $102.50 license fee.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

The sounds as MP3s for any calling sound are all available for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users