7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

I've been using Black Hills red box 50 gr. VMAX and recently purchased some of the reloaded Blue Box ammunition in the same 50 grain VMAX instead. Only did it to save a few bucks. Should I expect any differences with this reloaded stuff vs. the new production? I figure you reloaders could let me know if it's worth the extra few bucks or not to always go one way or the other. Just a random thought, thanks for any replies.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

I can't really answer that question because I only buy rimfire rounds I reload everything else. But I will say make sure you get out and shoot some to see how they perform in your particular gun. Any change in ammunition can and probably will change where it shoots and cause you to re-sight your gun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

That's kind of what I'm wondering John.I've got the rifle sighted in for this particular round, and it loves them.They are the same manufacturer, I would think the same output specifications and quality control, so should it perform any differently? Just reloaded brass (as far as I know).Since I'm not a reloader...does/can once fired and reloaded brass change how the gun shoots?
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

It can and often does change the way something shoots. Are they using the same cartridge cases? Often times they don't and cartridge cases vary in capacity therefore affecting accuracy.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

I assume (and obviously this means I could be wrong, and if anyone knows, correct me if I am) that they use the same cases. I can't find any info on their website. Maybe an email is in order.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

This fairly short article in Shooting Times is a good read on the subject. They mention that the Blue box is once fired brass.In a chart in the article it says that all new brass is Black Hills while the remans are Lake City Arsenal brass...so that may answer your question, John...and mine.http://www.google.co...mCADhc3Pq6g0UnQ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Jeff, I use the blue box, 50gr V-max in 223 exclusively in my mini 14. My mini loves that stuff, as does my bolt rifle, even though I use handloads 98%(?) of the time in all my bolt guns. I've never had a problem w/the blue box yet. And yes, you would want to test the blue box to compare how they shoot vs the red box. My "hunch" is that they will do well, however, proof will be in the pudding of course.Good LuckFrank

#8 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

I used to shoot a lot of that Black Hills blue box stuff. I always thought it was a fine product. While the POI may be a little different (I doubt much if any, but it is possible) I'd guess it will be just as accurate. I only shot a few boxes of the red box stuff, before I tried the blue box just to save money. It was just as accurate in my guns. I've reloaded that stuff many times since, as it is all LC brass that has already been reamed, and is good brass. From what I read Black Hills gets it's brass from a known source, so it is all a single headstamp, once fired. All of mine was LC.Some other reloaded ammo I bought from Cabela's had a hodgepodge of headstamps, some military, some commercial, and some LC '76'... I know brass doesn't go bad with age, but with brass that old who knows where they got it or how many times it had been reloaded. Kind of made me wonder, in a case as small as .223 the different case capacity can't be great for accuracy.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users