#1 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for the best quality Gore Tex for hunting in rain and/or snow.Needs to be dry and quiet. Anybody found gear they like?Thanks.EDIT: I'm using the term "Gore Tex" generically. I'm interested in breathable, vapor-barrier type rain gear. Something besides the old school rubberized waterproof rain gear that traps your own body moisture inside and makes you just as wet.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Why? It never rains in California.

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

I'll need something to wear while I'm shooting from the deck of the Ark I'm building!

#4 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Ken, I think the animals are suppose to be ALIVE when you load them on your Ark.

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

I use the stuff called bone dry but I don't remember who makes it. It works well for what rain I am out in.

#6 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

There are a lot of varieties of rain quiet gear available now that surpasses gortex. Seems all of the Gortex I have had has started leaking within 3 months of purchasing it and I have had several Gortex pants and Parkas. I Like Cabelas "Silent Suede series", it's breathable, quiet, waterproof, multitude of camo patterns and you can return it if you don't like it. I usually wear "Drake" for waterfowl but also wear it hunting Yotes or ? it's pretty quiet. Been in some Monsoons all day long and never got wet and both are breathable. You may also look into "Rivers west" It's great stuff but a little expensive....They have a great warranty though. When shopping, make sure it says "Waterproof" and not "Water resistant" there is a big difference. Hope this helpsAlan

#7 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Ken, I think the animals are suppose to be ALIVE when you load them on your Ark.

Yeah but floaters are much easier to shoot and you never have to worry about the wind giving you away.

#8 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

I've got the Kings Shadow Camo Rain Gear, I don't recall who actually makes it, but its decent stuff.Not a very quiet fabric though, unless its raining then the rain drowns out the sound pretty well.I hunted in the rain for the past week, & survived several flat out down pours bone dry from the rain, its fairly breathable aswell.But yesterday my right knee got SOAKED, I can't find a cut or tear but its deffinentally seeping through.I'm gonna look into the Cabelas silent suede rain gear soon. Lee

#9 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

I have a Cabelas Gor-tex rain camo jacket my friend found at goodwill, barely used for $7... I am very happy with it but would probably not pay the full pricetag of it.. I am pretty broke right now though.

#10 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

I use Frogg Toggs. they are wind and water proof, just get them oversized and wear your warm clothes under them. I used them in an all day rain while fishing at Amador and never got wet at all! no problems with sweat as they breathe so you don't get clammy and cold. cheap too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users