19 replies to this topic

#1 scubamike1974

scubamike1974

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:51 AM

I have a 12' Zodiac boat w/a 40hp motor :lol: that I use to dive and do some fishing out of. Mainly I use it to go Abalone diving and spearfishing with. I was thinking of selling it and getting a Kayak to fish/dive out of. It looks like it would be a great time. Have any of you ever fished from one?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

Not a kayak, but I fish from a canoe every once in awhile. :lol: But I wouldn't take my canoe out in the ocean. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:24 AM

My uncle fished big time out of a kayak. He and his buddies would go a mile out and hook some big ones. They key here is to use a sea kayak not one of those river ones. One that you can sit on top of not the ones with the hole that can fill up and sink. My uncle would go after salmon and then go for a ride. A key was to have some good waterproof containers attached or drilled into the kayack, a clip for your pole in case you drop it or it gets hit by a wave so it doesn't go overboard, and a comfortable PFD. They make some models especially for Scuba diving and one of those would probably work good and you could use it for diving as well. It takes some practice to get on and off. Some of the people I dive with have looked into it and you usually just attach your dive gear to the kayak and put it on in the water but there are different methods. I never dived from one but considered it. If my usual dive buddies had them then I would probably get one too but since they do not it doesn't do me much good. My father has a sea kayak that I borrow on occassion. It is a pretty good two seater but a real bear to get back on top of if you and your buddy fall off. My brother and I were riding the waves over in Carmel and had a heck of a time getting back in it and out past where the water broke. We were soaked but that was the point.I've never been diving for abalone or with spear. Thought about it a few times. The brother in law wants to get into it since we are both Open Water certified but neither one of us has ponied up for a spear gun yet or figured out just how to get started. Any info you can share on getting started would be most welcome.Jason O.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

Back in the 70's when I was scuba diving, there was boat called a Royak. It was just perfect for use in the ocean. Like Jason said, you rode on top of it not in it, and it was great in the ocean. Here is the link to their site.http://www.royak.com/
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

Don't they call a sea kayak "SHARK BAIT?" When alpenliter and I were scuba diving back in the 70's there weren't as many sharks. I guess that's why I don't go out there any more. :lol: :)

Time waits for no one--

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

I fish out of Monterey alot and see them in the kayaks fishing. I just kinda wonder what they do to relieve themselves in that wetsuit, I know when you're in the water it's no big deal to let it loose in the wetsuit, but when you're dry? The other thing is how hot it must get in that black wetsuit baking in the sun, I watch them come back in at the Coast Guard pier with the rental kayaks and they look overheated. I think the Zodiac is a better deal but that's jmho, besides where do you put the ice chest? :lol:
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

And the beer.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

That goes without saying, what else do you put in a ice chest? :)
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#9 scubamike1974

scubamike1974

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

Not a kayak, but I fish from a canoe every once in awhile. ;) But I wouldn't take my canoe out in the ocean. :(

Might be fun for a wave or two...then start swimming :lol:

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:15 PM

Surf's UP! :lol: :(

Time waits for no one--

#11 scubamike1974

scubamike1974

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

Spearfishing is so much fun. I love it!! I have several spearguns. The size and type depend on what you will be shooting. I have a Riffe Metal Tech #1 for large fish like Halibut. It is a three band gun and will easily put a spear through a halibut at 20'. One draw back to this gun is loading the thing, its a killer. :( I do most of my diving up north. For this I like to use my pneumatic gun. Its much smaller...I holster it on the hip. It has enough power to take bigger Lingcod and Cabezone. It is also much easier to use up close in the reefs. I can also wear this while Abalone diving so I can get Abs and fish at the same time. I also really enjoy using my travel spear. This is a 6' Hawaiian Sling with a paralyzer tip. I have killed more fish with this than anything. One thing to remember is to trail your fish behind you so if a shark wants your kill, he can take them without taking part of you. I have seen a few sharks and I feel lucky to see them. They are not as dangerous as they are made out if you give them their space. I have more trouble with the seals than anything. The seals will bite and torment you none stop. They are a real pain. Too bad there is not a seal season.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

Mike, we used to free dive off the point across from Dillon's Beach where we have a house. Back when I was diving in the early 70's there weren't many seals or sea lions like there is today. But we also used to stick our abalone on our wet suits instead of in a bag. I learned the hard way that seals aren't very friendly animals when they want what you have. I only got nicked and really bruised. But did end up with a ruined wet suit and the wind knocked out of me. I guess when they bark at you under water it means give me your abalone or I'll kick the you know what out of you. I don't care for sea lions either as they swim up the Sacramento River and steal our striper's and salmon right off of the hook. I think they'd make a great varmint. :(

Time waits for no one--

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:01 AM

Good luck with that, John. The animal lovers here would never allow it.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:07 AM

I caught one in our net once trying to get a fish in real fast. Well, it was our net until he took off with it. We hooked them before when they swallow our fish too. Of course we immediately cut the line to set them free. :(

Time waits for no one--

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

Of course! Can you imagine how much of a fight they would put out if you didnt? Ah, but we will never know.

#16 Tundra

Tundra

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hunting<br />Computers<br />Sports<br />Banjo pickin

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

ive caught a few smallish halibut and rockish and of course cod out of my mokai jet kayak. when i use it in the rivers i float/drive where i want to go and get out and fish from shore. much easier.

#17 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:16 AM

I have a couple of pirogues that I fish from alot. They work great for getting in shallow water and around tight trees or floating down a creek or small river.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

Hey NechesBobcat, you must be swimming after all of the rains back that way. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#19 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

I definately am. Im right in the middle of all the flooding. My house is on pretty high ground though. I have had to travel a little in my little aluminum boat though and drive through some water up to my headlughts. We have seen record low water this year and record high water this year!

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

So you're getting the worst and worst of it! I hope it dries out for you. Nothing like flood water to ruin everything. It does bring the animals out though. ;)

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users