1 reply to this topic

#1 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:24 PM

Whoo Hoo!!Yippie and etc!On our old board, we had a forum for ?This Old Gun?. I happen to have one and spent the better part of a half a day look?n for it. No joy with that effort.I have been doing a ?search and recovery? for most of my closet shelving today . . . getting rid of a butt load of empty scope boxes, organizing my scope rings and tools. Getting all of my fishing harness and belts packed in one (big assed) duffle bag and generally tossing stuff left and right.Lo and behold . . . I found it! I need to (and will) get some photo?s of it and post them here. OK folks . . . here is the story behind ?it?.My stepmother has lead a VERY interesting life . . . she has been all over the world with the military and as an engineer.In 1945 she was stationed at Ft. Carson in Panama with the American Red Cross. A very large and violent storm had taken several days to pass. There was a great deal of damage to trees, houses and Panama City in general. When the weather cleared and the sun came out, she and a couple of other Red Cross gals went out to the beach on the far outskirts of Panama City. While walking the beach and beach combing (there was a LOT of debris washed up), she noticed something barely sticking up out of the sand. She walked over to the object buried in the sand and dug it up.?It? is a muzzle loading cap and ball of Spanish manufacture (I think . . . it is inscribed in Latin). It is complete, save for one ?screw? at the base of the hand grip. The action is frozen cocked; all of the wood is still there, though it is cracked through just below the action. All of the metal is still there, though a bit oxidized and rusted. The barrel is hexagonal and the hammer and cap nipple is on the right side of the firearm. The ramrod to load it is missing but the under barrel metal ?holder? for it is intact. I have always wanted to have it x-rayed to see if there is a ball in it and it was lost loaded.The date inscribed on the pistol is 1854.I will get some pictures of it and post them directly. B) Kevin G.

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

Yes Pics Please:Sounds very Interseting, Glad you found it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users