• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

Here is a clip from the 2006 Game Regulations book:'It is unlawful to use or possess at any timeany infrared or similar light used in connectionwith an electronic viewing device sometimesdesignated as a sniper scope to assist in thetaking of birds, mammals, amphibia or fish.'I gather it is specific to the IR illuminator that attaches to the scope, rather than the actual scope.Does anybody have any personal experience with this? I have a nice 3rd Gen scope on an Elcan mount I want to take coyote hunting.From what I've read, I'd say it's legal - just don't bring the illuminator with me (it's detachable).What about rifle attached varmint lights w/ red lenses? After all, they quote 'infrafred or similiar' which denotes a 780 nM spectrum lightwave which is invisible the the naked eye and veiwable ONLY with night vision devices.I know the limitation on varmint lights is no more than 2 cells with a total of no more than 9 volts.I want to hunt with my scope and have a red lens varmint light for illumination. From what I've read, this IS legal - I would appreciate some feedback before I put a $3k scope at risk.

#2 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:25 AM

I know you can't use any light attached to the rifle or scope. Two cell, nine volt only applies to specific areas of CA. Someone has submitted a map in previous posts for the area guidelines for light usage. You might want to search the sight. I don't think you can use the infrared or night vision either, but I am not certain about the removal of the illuminator. Shooter might chime in here. He is pretty well versed in DFG regs.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,389 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:37 AM

I just spoke with Fish & Game yesterday regarding these very questions. There was a similar post on another forum. Without going into all of the lawyer speak and legalese they are both illegal. Why they word their relegations the way they do I don't have a clue. But they are still in effect so if you don't mind going to court to change them or get your equipment back be my guest.The night vision question they answer by this regulation. Now everyone says but this is under game and not nongame but to DFG they classify them as mammals. So like I say, take it up with them if you want to dispute it.?353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.(h) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, "red-dot" scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted.As for the lights attached to your gun or scope it's illegal too. This is the sections they refer to and go by.?264.5. Use of Lights While Hunting--Remainder of State. Lights may be used, in those portions of the state not listed in Section 264, to take furbearers and nongame mammals under the following conditions only: (a) Only 9 volt lights or smaller, hand-held or worn on the head are permitted.So I wouldn't risk your investment as you will be sighted.Welcome to the forum too. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

You'll have to go to another state to use it. That's a shame. Just book a hunt in TX and get some use out of that thing!

#5 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

I had the chance to use some night vision binocs several years ago.I won't say where they came from ....we left the weapons and ammo in the cabin we went out and drove around at night, stalked and sat,trying to spot the areas the deer were using and feeding inI was impressed by what you could see with themeven deer bedded down in the sage was no problembut, even with that knowledge we didn't score that weekend, or the next.....these mulies were nocturnal and disappeared a couple hours before daybreak; tracking was next to impossible; only chance was to find their beds; now the area is part of Death Valley NP so it doesn't matter

#6 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info..................I'll keep hunting in Northern Nevada for the night shoots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users