#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:21 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading to a new Bow.I now shoot a PSE Thunderbolt, it is like new but it is 13 years old and I think I need to update.Right now I'm looking at the 07 Martin Bengal and the 06 Bear Code. I shot both of these yesturday and they feel pretty Sweet, and quite.Anyone have any input on these or others I should consider.I would really like to take a Yote and a Pig and a Bear with a Bow.Fishing with a Bow is a blast.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:34 PM

The latest FREE issue of Outdoor Life has at least a dozen bows listed and along with their Pros and Cons. They also list speed and decibel level.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

I was glancing over that issue yesterday and noticed the bows. They look so much more high tech than my old Bear compound that I still use. I am just amazed at where the technology has gone with these things. Let us know what you get and how it performs so we can drool all over the key board.Jason

#4 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

latest FREE issue of Outdoor Life

Where do I get one of these ?

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

Have you shot a Mathews?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Where do I get one of these ?

From the store and you pay I guess. :lol: How come you didn't send away for the free subscription when Stiff Neck told all of us. You must have been sick that day. ;)

#7 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:31 PM

From the store and you pay I guess. :P How come you didn't send away for the free subscription when Stiff Neck told all of us. You must have been sick that day. B)

I'm sick every day :lol: Well I went back to the Archery store today and wouldn't you know it, the sales guygives me a Jennings Strike to try. Whoo that thing sure shoots nice ;) Then he brings me a Mathew to try, They are supose to be the cream of the crop.It was a good shooter, but the Jennings was just much more smooth on the draw and the release.I think I see a Jennings Stike in my future :D

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

I've got free subscriptions to Outdoor life until Nov 06 and Field & Stream until Sept 07. I've been getting both free for the last two years already. ;) Yes, I'm a cheap bastard, but at least I tried to share with you all. :lol: The free signups should be happening soon, they usually do it in the fall. I'll let you guys know first thing I hear. They usually put out free subcriptions for Maxim and Golf World and a few others too, but I'm only interested in magazines with guns in them.

#9 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

I'm sick every day :P Well I went back to the Archery store today and wouldn't you know it, the sales guygives me a Jennings Strike to try. Whoo that thing sure shoots nice :P Then he brings me a Mathew to try, They are supose to be the cream of the crop.It was a good shooter, but the Jennings was just much more smooth on the draw and the release.I think I see a Jennings Stike in my future :lol:

I'm not sure which mathews he gave you to try, and believe me everything feels different to different people. But I assure you that the Jennings can not compare to any of the last three bows mathews has put out,( Outback, Switchback, SwitchBack XT). These days Bear Arhcery which owns and produces (Jennings, Bear, Buckmasters, and at least one more) is like driving a Pinto compared to a Cadillac. They do make nice bows, but just like certain guns there is a reason why they stay so much cheaper than the rest.There are some really awesome bows on the market right now and all of them are comparible to each other as far as price, speed, forgiveness, axle to axle length, etc.. Mathews, Bowtech, and Hoyt are where you are going to spend the most of your money. However I just bought my Dad a Parker Pheonix and it has turned out to be a sweet little shooter for the modest price.I currently shoot the Outback that I have made modifications to, in order to beef it up a little. But if I were buying a new one tomorrow, I would be buying the latest Bowtech, the Tribute..Here's my top 5 picks:Bowtech TributeMathews Switch Back XTHoyt TrykonParker Frontier, Frontier 2plus (same bows different lengths)Bowtech AllegianceI can sit and talk bows all day and have shot just about everyone out there right now, if you want to chat some more about this just shoot me a PM. I have a couple of places where you can probably find a sweet deal on a used last years model....tim

#10 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hey soreloser:Sorry, forgot to mention the Mathews model I tried.It was the Switch Back.The sales guy said the same thing you did, that the Mathews would feel and shoot better.But it didn't, like you said everything feels differant to differant people.After he said that I asked what Bow he shoots, he replies "Jennings Strike" :lol: I will shop around and try several more Bows for alittle while before I deside.I should mention my budget stops at $500.00My current Bow is 13yr. old and still like new.So I want the next one to last atleast 10yr.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

Bad thing about last years Mathews bows is that the lifetime warrant isn't transferable.

#12 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

Bad thing about last years Mathews bows is that the lifetime warrant isn't transferable.

Heath, not for sure. But I don't think they ever were transferrable. I'm probably wrong but I can't remember.Hylander, it is extremely important in archery for you to pick and buy the bow that best suits you. You can have a million experts tell you what the greatest bows in the world are, but it might not be for you. You absolutely have to keep going to pro shops and shoot every bow possible in your price range, only then will you be positive. Before I bought my Outback, I was shooting a BowTech Tech29 and thought it was the best bow ever and that I would never get rid of it. Then the Outback came out and my local shop had me try it because it was sooooo awesome.. I hated it at first, kept kicking left on the release for some reason. I said no thanks, then I shot a different one and he was right. At the time it was the greatest bow I had shot.. Turns out somebody in the shop had put a different hand grip on the display model that was kicking left. Just keep shooting them, one of them bows will eventually make you buy it. Unfortunately you won't see any new models for the rest of the year.. For some reason the genuises in the Achery business put all there new stuff out in Jan, Feb. Why not put out closer to bow season??????

#13 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:18 PM

I would look at it this way:What will be the primary use for your new bow? i.e., stand hunting, still hunting, open plains, tight brush, etc., etc..I have some property near Clear Lake that has some fat hogs on it. The brush is 10' tall in some areas and THICK!I wanted a short axle to axle bow so I could manuever the thick brush easier while still hunting.I went with the Mathews Outback with all of the SVL Limbsavers stuff, Spott Hog Hoggit Hunter sight (3 axis sighting ability) @ 70 lbs. I LOVE it! I can make a comfortable shot @ 50 yards.I chose a short axle bow to fit what environment I would be hunting most. I believe a longer axle bow may be more comfortable to shoot - but that depends on YOUR height. I'm 5' 9", so a 32" axle to axle fit me good.ALL of the modern bows are awesome. Pick what suits your needs and budget best.

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:06 AM

204,Now that you brought it up you've got to share pictures of your hog hunts!

#15 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

No don't, my key board can't take the Drool :lol:

#16 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

Well I just back back from Wilderness Archery.I put a Matthews Switch Back XT on layaway :lol: My brother took a new one home today :( Can't wait for Turkey season and some cooler weather for Yoting.I will be listing my PSE Thunderflight for sale soon if anyone needs a good Bow, it is in great condition.Here is the one I'm gettingSwitchBack

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

I take it you like the way that one shot? Great bow!

#18 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

Here's my Outback................Posted ImageDon't forget the light for your Spott Hogg sight!Posted Image

#19 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

Please cut the file size down on that last picture, Sniper. I love that sight!

#20 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

Please cut the file size down on that last picture, Sniper. I love that sight!

Thank you for doing that. I put the size @ 25% on photobucket, but for some reason when I cut and paste the IMG tag it comes up full size! :lol: WTF!Yeah - that sight is awesome. Money very well spent. I recommend as a 'must have'!

#21 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

Well I just back back from Wilderness Archery.I put a Matthews Switch Back XT on layaway :lol: My brother took a new one home today :lol: Can't wait for Turkey season and some cooler weather for Yoting.I will be listing my PSE Thunderflight for sale soon if anyone needs a good Bow, it is in great condition.Here is the one I'm gettingSwitchBack

So much for that Budget huh? The Switch back xt is awesome. You will love it.

Now Heath, I told you that shooting hogs was for the women and children. Go to this website and check out how to really hunt hogs. You got to RASTLE EM' and put in handcuffs. Check out pages 93,107,108 I'm the handsome fella with the lady (my wife). All hogs were alive and transferred to our pen for some corn feeding for a couple of months and then we get fat.Timhttp://www.baydog.com/photos.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users