6 replies to this topic

#1 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

I'm looking to try my hand at Traditional archery/bow hunting. I'm new to it, although I do have an old compound I mess around with, I want to try the Trad route (long bow or recurve). Does anyone know of some good resources. I've looked at a lot of the websites, but I would like to meet with some folks who actually do this, rather than just read about it. I'm not sure where to start. Things like the pros/cons of recurve v longbow, length, etc. I'm in the Sacramento area, so if anyone has any tips or knows of any shops in the area, please let me know. Thanks.

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

Your in luck.. I have a buddy who is really into this.. Here is some info from him. some good info can be found here forums and articleshttp://stickbow.com/ some manufacturing sites or retailers have helpful informationhttp://www.3riversarchery.com/ Basic info needed You will need to know your drawlength (close approx is distance from finger to finger with arms spread /3)Draw weight (poundage) The above info will produce the spine of your arrow you need to avoid paradox of the riser Recurves should have a little more zip than a long bow. While they are shorter they also tend to snag more in brush due to the angle that the string approaches the limb of the bow. Recurves have more options also. Take downs allow you to swap limbs to have different poundages. Generally speaking you should be able to get a good used long bow (with no fancy wood) for around 100 to 300You should be able to get a good used recurve for around 200 to 400You should be able to get a good new long bow for around 300 to 500You should be able to get a good new recurve for around 400 to 600 For fancy wood and take-down limbs you can add anywhere from 30 to 50 % to these If you are buying a used bow – ensure that the limbs are straight and not warped. Other items – the length of the bow will determine finger pinch at full draw – (i.e. don’t go too short or at full draw it may pinch your 3 fingers)The length of the bow also has impact on how much mass is in the limb – too long of a bow versus weight will impact the cast of the bow (initial velocity of the arrow) (so will arrow weight)You will also want to know what type of string it is rated for (fast flight will need bone or mycarta strengthening laminates to protect the tips from cracking – versus – Dacron will not need any re-enforcements) Sorry this is so scattered – I am behind the ball at work.

#3 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info; that really helps

#4 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

It's Arm Span divided by 2.5 not 3. That will get you close.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#5 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:53 AM

I picked up a nice take-down from Cabela's a few years ago.

#6 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

I shoot a recurve and one of the best places to get all kinds of help is Trad Gang. Just an awsome site, check it out.http://tradgang.com/.../ultimatebb.cgiGot to the pow-wow section to get started.

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

Like lonehowl said look at Trad Gang . But be carfull you might start spending your reloading money on arrows and looking at trees trying to figure out wich side would be the bow. :good: . I shoot one self bow one long bow and four recurves :harhar1[1]: . A recurve will be easyer to shoot coming from a compond. but long bows are way cool.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users