5 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

Went out to the range yesterday to try out a new bullet load. I wanted a new lead round that I could use on big game and that would be fairly inexpensive to load. Had been using Nosler Ballistic tips, but have been reading how they don't penetrate deep enough on big game (bigger then deer). I bought a box of Hornady SST 140 grain and used my normal load data of 56.5 grains of H4831SC. Went out to the range yesterday. My Barnes and Nosler shot MOA at both 100 and 200 yards. Then I shot my 10 rounds of Hornady SST, first two shots look decent, then the rest just spread all over the target, we are talking 3 MOA at 100 yards, didn't even bother to take them out to 200 yards. Anybody else had that large of a difference? Was really bummed as I am becoming more and more of a Hornady fan over Nosler. Hornady VMax have replaced my Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .223 already. Curious to hear others thoughts on this.Darren

#2 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

Darren,Try seating the SST closer to land and see what happens. Hornady bullets has secant ogives and acts like VLD's whereas Noslers, Sierras and Barnes are tangents. I read somewhere that tangent ogival bullet can be easier to shoot accurately than a bullet with secant ogives. Maybe there lies your problem. It all boils down to what your rifle likes. Don't believe the rumors about the Nosler BT not penetrating deep on larger game. That got started when the Nosler BT first came out. Eversince then, Noslers made some improvement in the jacket design so it's a none issue anymore. Be aware though that there are two kinds of BT. One labeled varmint and the other hunting.

#3 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

I have a bunch of SST's loaded up for my 260 I need to take out and try I think I will be playing with the seating depth a lot but I hope not.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

I've had great luck with the SST in my 25-06 as well as the load I worked up for a friends 300wsm but I do prefer the Interbond in my 30-06. Like any other bullet you can't really throw a charge that worked well with one bullet and then expect it to shoot as well with a different bullet. The SST is tougher than the ballistic tip but the Noslers will penetrate as long as they aren't pushed to fast. I think you'd be fine with 140s in your .270. A ballistic tipped 130gr bullet that would work well in a standard .270 might come apart at close range when pushed to .270 weatherby velocities. One friends favorite elk and caribou load is a 165 grain ballistic tip in his .300 weatherby but he keeps the muzzle velocity to about 3100 fps. I blasted a 130 gr ballistic silver tip all the way thru a big hog with my 270wsm but he was out there a ways so the bullet had a chance to slow down. If the range were closer I would've felt more comfortable with a 140 or 150 but I still believe the 130 gr Nosler would've got the job done and that this bullet is tougher than some folks give it credit for.

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

I appreciate the advice. Will have to back it off the lands doing what we tell everyone to do with their Barnes bullets. Interesting thing is that I have the bullet to the same distance off of the lands are my 140 grain Barnes bullets. Will have to back it off a bit more.Darren

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

What about backing off the charge it might help your groups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users