8 replies to this topic

#1 renaissancehunter

renaissancehunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

I put my game camera out where I saw tracks and got lots of photos of a single coyote, jacks, and crows galore. I shot a few rabbits and left them for the coyote. Apparently, they will take more then they can eat and will save it for later. This coyote took a rabbit then returned 8 minutes later, took another, then returned 8 minutes later, took another, then returned 8 minutes later. Very consistent. Is it fair to think he took them to his den? If so, I'm thinking his den is 1/3rd of a mile away. I figure a 5 mph trot of 4 minutes to get there means it's 1/3rd mile away. Does that sound reasonable?Let's see if I can figure out how to upload a photo...

#2 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

I would say that is a reasonable assumption and given your estimate on distance, perhaps it would be possible to backtrack the sucker back to his hidey hole. That would be very interesting. I'd like to hear what you find out.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#3 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:47 AM

:drool: waiting for the picstry reading this http://www.californi...?showtopic=1815
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

Soooooo... are you hunting this coyote?? Doing a study, biologist, just taking pics or what?because its illegal to bait in Calif..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:33 AM

I shot a few rabbits and left them for the coyote.

Just so you know all rabbits in California are considered game animals. So shooting and leaving them can get you cited.

257. Resident Small Game Defined."Resident small game" means the following resident game birds: Chinese spotted doves, Eurasian collared-doves, ringed turtle-doves of the family Columbidae, California quail and varieties thereof, Gambel's or desert quail, mountain quail and varieties thereof, sooty grouse and varieties thereof, ruffed grouse, sage grouse (sage hens), white-tailed ptarmigan, Hungarian partridges, red-legged partridges, including the chukar and other varieties, ring-necked pheasants and varieties, and wild turkeys of the order Galliformes; and the following game mammals: jackrabbits and varying hares (genus Lepus), cottontail rabbits, brush rabbits, pigmy rabbits (genus Sylvilagus), and tree squirrels (genus Sciurus and Tamiasciurus).

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

John, I think he meant to say that he set them down for a few minutes and the coyote took the rabbits before he returned to take them.

#7 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Watchout the Game Wardens are here. Becareful how you word things on the interweb.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

If you are doing something illegal you have more to watch out for than game wardens. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

shouldnt be scratching out a den yet,a couple of months they will be.they just packed it off to not eat it in front of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users