• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

Posted ImageI'm flipping through this book my kid dug out of my library. There are a couple of paragraphs describing a harpoon gun used by Explorer/Naturalist William Beebe. In 1928, Beebe wanted to collect small fish off the coast of Haiti but existing equipment was too large."In an attempt to find something capable of propelling a smaller harpoon underwater, Beebe hit upon the spring-powered BB gun. The idea intrigued Cass Hough (founder of Daisy), who personally constructed the three Beebe BB guns. Although harpoon travel could not be more than the four inches traveled by the plunger, the harpoons fitted to the heads proved effective at close ranges as fish clustered around Beebe's helmet. As one fish was collected, the diver tugged on the line tied to the gun and it and the fish were raised to the surface and another gun lowered. In this way Beebe collected the fish he wanted and recorded the first and only use of BB guns under the sea." The ad's in the book that relate to the story show guns that resemble the Model 25's.Trying an internet search on this story, I found another article some of you might enjoy.Sports Illustrated~April 1963

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

That was a great read thanks Kevin. Nice copy you have there 1971 if I'm not mistaken.

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

Correct on the 1971 date, I don't think there was another U.S. printing. The other books I have mention air-guns but do not have near as much detail as this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users