15 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:02 PM

So far my favorite load in .204 is 40gr V-Max with 24.4-24.7grs of RL-10x. Works pretty good in Rem XR-100 Rangemaster, but I haven't quite figured out where I should zero it with my VX-III 6.5-20x40 w/ Varmint Reticle, 100 or 200... Anyway, anyone else have any loads they'd like to share (that aren't over max loads of course, you can PM me those. :lol: )

#2 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

I started with the H322 and the 32g Hornady and got good results. I now like the Sierra Blitzking in 39g. using Reloader 10X. You?ll have to work up loads to suit your gun. I got smaller groups with the Sierra and more explosive terminal results.The two sites below will give you an assortment of load combinations.Stevehttp://www.geocities...4/Ruger204.htmlhttp://www.rugerhunt...om/204_data.php

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

Magic, zero it at 200... it will be "approx" +1" high at 100, - 4" @ 300, -15" @ 400 & -34" @ 500 ydsThat's with a 40gr spitzer (aka; nosler ballistic tip) at approx 3850 fps or there abouts... I just picked up my 204 Remington rifle today, along with all the necessary reloading supplies. The Zeiss Conquest 3x9 scope is suppose to arrive on Monday.A little accuracy work, bedding, action trued & new trigger & I will be off to the range sometime in August... I'm dying :)OH... my powder of choice is the RL10X & 40gr nosler bullet... Each gun is different, but believe I should get close to 26.5 grs from what I've been reading. Of course will start lower & if I cannot reach that high, that is cool as the rifle will let me know. LOL Can't wait !Frank

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

Frank,I would set my scope up to shoot dead on at 256 yards with that load. That gives you a maximum point blank range of 296 yards. That's assuming a four inch kill zone and that's a fair size for shooting coyotes.Set up this way you are shooting.1.75 inches high at 100 yards 1.75 inches high again at 200 yards2.25 inches low at 300 yards11.0 inches low at 400 yards.This allows you more error in your estimates on distance. This info was using your load data and the 40gr. Nosler Ballistic tip. Personally I like Varget with that bullet. Varget isn't as sensitive to extremes in temperature. So you can shoot it cold or hot and get the same performance. :lol:

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:49 PM

hmmm, I will check that out, John... It does sound a little better... Thank YouOHHHH, BTW... That 204 Remington I bought is a LIMITED addition that was ordered by Acu Sport (sp?) distributor in Ohio... Unfortunately my friend did not find out "how many" were made but believe very few by Rem's rep tone. He's going to call them back. AND it is called a "VLST"... that won't be found anywhere... nutmeg laminated, Thumbhole stock with floor plate. 26" matt stainless barrel.Saw another one today at Fowlers, however it was their gray/black(?) coloring. Nice, but I like the wood looking nutmeg a tad better...Frank DOH... I meant EDITION.... not addition... time for my nap. LOL

#6 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hey John, how did you come up with that data?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

I use a ballistic trajectory program that gives you the information when you enter the ballistic coefficient of the bullet and the muzzle velocity. Uh no, I mean I do it in my head. I have a mind like a calculator, minus the batteries. :lol: :)

#8 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:43 PM

which program? :lol:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

which program? :lol:

It's called Point Blank. It works pretty well. There are many to choose from. :)

#10 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

JBMHeres a link to JBM ballistic program. You can also use the Sierra site. Never done it but thats what Ive been told. Between JBM and Point Blank you will find most every bullet known, and you can put in a custom one if you know BC,length etc. Keep in mind these do a good job, but you should always shoot that load in the real world to confirm comeups and such. They are close but not perfect.

#11 scubamike1974

scubamike1974

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:43 AM

I just purchased a .204 26" HVY Barrel for my T/C Encore. Can't wait to get the reloading bench set up again(recently moved) and try this round out. I hear very good things about it.

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

Scuba, you're going to enjoy that 204. I've seen one in action and can say I am impressed!

#13 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

I'll try some of these. I've only shot factory Hornady 32 grainers so far..................she shoots 1" groups at 200 yards. Better than 1/2 MOA, but I want .20" groups at that range! :o I'm just building a stockpile of fire formed brass - I'm up to 100. Then neck sizing, deburring flasholes, sizing primer pockets............... :o , but it's worth the effort.If I come up with some real winners, I'll share....................... :)

#14 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

OK, I'm ready to try the 50 gr Berger in the 9 twist 204 Rooger pacnor barrel. If you're loading for the heavy bullets, what powder are you using???A17Shooter

#15 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

Nice XR-100! Who did the paint?My XR-100 likes the 40gr better than the 32gr V-Max's. I have much better groups with the 40's.

#16 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Thanks! I'll try the 40's.I painted it. I bought one of those 'kits' from Sportsmans Warehouse with the stencil. The pattern I did works pretty good in the sagebrush out here (plus it matches my leafy camo suit in Rock-a-flage)It was REALLY easy.Solid Tan.Stripes of brown.Stripes of green (touching the brown).Then LIGHTLY hit with black over the leaf stencil.It's not done. I stil want to hand paint some stuff, then satin clear coat with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde epoxy.If it's too shiny, you just hit it lightly with 0000 steel wool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users