• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

I want to camo my shotgun and I don't have any idea the proper way to do it. I have a Mossberg that I want to use for home defense and yote hunting and I want to paint it. What is the best way to do this. I figure I need to get all of the solvent and oil off of it beforehand but what else do I need to know. I know that one of the guys wrote a post a while back but I can't remember where. Thanks for the help and the wisdom of the guys on this forum. Ty :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

Take a look at this one I did:http://www.californi...d...ic=9143&hl=
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 brian.243

brian.243

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

Looks good, how long ago did you do that and how has it held up?

#4 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

That's a beautiful job. How exactly did you do it? Prep? Any tips would be great. Thanks.Ty

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

Here is a write-up I did over at Calguns:I only use Krylon Fusion Camouflage rattle can paint from Wal-mart.On this one, I used three colors....Tan as the base, then Green, then Brown.The paint will wear off over time in highly used area's (charging handle), but I have had mine for about a year and the small amounts of rubbing are barely noticeable (especially since I don't really care cause it's a hunting rig).The nice thing is if it gets messed up, just spray a bit of paint and it's fixed.As for the pattern, I think the BEST pattern to us is to take a straw style floor broom, trim the bristles off and fan them out. This gives you the fine lines. You have to have a bunch of these because once they get too wet from the paint you have to use a new bunch.Base coat I think is USUALLY 2-coats, but you just have to go by trial and error. You don't want to spray it on too thick, but you want full coverage as well. You want it JUST thick enough to cover without having it build up. Remember you are going to use two more colors, so if you miss a tiny spot with the tan, you can make up for it later. Paint the WHOLE rifle tan, wait for that to dry, then do your patterning with the green and brown. Be sparingly as you can cover a lot with the darker green and tan. Lastly, I have found that using Tan again at the end helps to lighten everyhting up. I had a bunch of light overspray from the green and brown so if you don't do the tan at the end, the whole gun takes on kind of a green/gray haze. Around here, tan/green/gray haze works perfect for hunting though.Good luck, I hope all that helps.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

Here is a little video of a little stock I built up for a friend. The end of it has a short piece on camo painting. By the way, it was for a 10/22.Posted Image
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I've never painted a firearm before but I figure what the hell if I'm going to be using it and it needs it. After all it isn't an expensive shotgun or anything. I really appreciate the tips. If I get it right I'll post some pics and get your opinion of what you think. Have a great day.Ty

#8 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:19 AM

Its really easy and don't worry about how it holds up...when it chips and flakes just paint it again..
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I've never painted a firearm before but I figure what the hell if I'm going to be using it and it needs it. After all it isn't an expensive shotgun or anything. I really appreciate the tips. If I get it right I'll post some pics and get your opinion of what you think. Have a great day.Ty

Don't be scared, just do it. I have painted my $1200 Beretta Shotgun, $600 Tikka T3 rifle, $850 Stag Ar-15 and a few more that I own plus a bunch for other people. All of my firearms are purpose built so I'm not worried about messing them up with a little paint. Beware though that painting them is supposed to lower the resale value by like $100.I really like the protection and NO glare that camoing gives my firearms.

#10 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

Maybe throw some clear coat after you are finished with the colors, that should help it hold up better.

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

It will hold up better, but I have found the clearcoat adds too much sheen (reflects). The krylon fusion camo holds up pretty well on it's own.

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

Go to this page on our website Camo It! and scroll down to the Camo It article. it's easy and fun. Wannakillacoyote is right. Don't clear coat, it gives the finish too much sheen and promotes flashing and glare.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Wannakillacoyote is right.

Just had to quote this. :rolleyes: lol

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,021 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

:rolleyes: Yep there's a first time for everything Chris! :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#15 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

Be very careful where you lay it it may be very hard to find :rolleyes:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#16 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

:lol: Yep there's a first time for everything Chris! :yikes[1]:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing lol "Every dog has his day".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users