• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Most of you are very familiar with most optical products available on today's hunting market. When it comes to features, options, etc. What new types of features (or improved features) would you like to see on future optics?Please address the following:1. Rifle scopes & reticles2. Spotting scopes and desired features3. Binoculars and binocular accessoriesDon't be shy. You may mention existing technologies or futire tech that you would like to see incorporated into the above optical products. Let your imagination run wild and let's see what your ideas are.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

I would like an affordable scope with a rangefinder such as a laser or whatever new tech would bring which would not be real large. But mostly affordable for the common person. It would also need to be weather proof for use in all weather conditions.

#3 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

These are the things I like to see:-More reticle options on rifle scopes without charging more for them (i.e. "varmint" reticle, "BDC" reticle, mil-dot etc). Make all reticles available on all models."Target" style turrets. I hate it when I am in the field, making an adjustment and don't have a coin or screw driver.Illuminated reticles. I don't care for them, but I know alot of people do for low-light situations.Side focus.And I think Diverhunter's idea is a great one. Thats my :lol:
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#4 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

Dito Dito
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#5 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hey Sagedog The Hawke scopes that Red sells have all that you mentioned at an affordable price!

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:20 AM

That's a great plug good job!

#7 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

1. CLEAR OPTICS throughout the magnification range2. SKELETONIZED SEE THROUGH side and vertical posts (see Falcon Menace)3. FLAG SYSTEM on elevation and windage (see Hi-Lux Leatherwood) allows multiple zero's for different loads/ranges4. SCREWS SIDE Mounted on target turrets so as not to disrupt settings while setting zero ( see Hi-Lux for example of how NOT to do it)5. REMOVABLE SUN SHADE6. QUALITY FLIP UP LENS covers7. INTERCHANGEABLE RETICLES - don't know how but it would be cool
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Id go with similar thinking here of Portagee Shooter, But Id also like to see more scopes with Target Reticles, a very fine crosshair. Shooting long distance I hate when the crosshair looks bigger than the intended target.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#9 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

This would be nice. I have a .223 with a cheap simmons scope that needs to be replaced because the reticle is just too fat for my tastes..

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

1. Rifle scopes - User changeable reticles would be nice. Excellent optics and repeatable adjustments at a reasonable price.2. Spotting scopes - Integrated cameras that don't interfere with the quality of the image you view.3. Binoculars - Integrated cameras that don't interfere with the quality of the image you view.Unertl quality at BSA prices would be my dream.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#11 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

OK - here's mine - an adjustable reticle. Plug the scope into a laptop at the range and zero each dot or crosshair individually for range and load (the computer program has all the different reticles there for downloading into the scope). As a bonus - on board memory to allow multiple loads to be stored in the scope, so when I change from 40 grain bullets to 75 grain bullets, all I have to do is flip a switch to set the reticle for that pre-zeroed load.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#12 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

What about a "fast focus style" focus similar to the bushnell elites, except with firm clicks and markings so you can know exactly where your focus needs to be? This would be good on binoculars for the focus ring on the back of one of the oculars as well as for rifle scopes.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,312 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Okay, how about target tracking, heat seeking and fire and forget capability as long as we're wishing.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

Check these out guys. I did a little looking at it turns out that some of this stuff is not only possible, but its being worked on as we speak.Guided BulletsGuided Bullets"Super" scope
This is Remington Country!

#15 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

OK - here's mine - an adjustable reticle. Plug the scope into a laptop at the range and zero each dot or crosshair individually for range and load (the computer program has all the different reticles there for downloading into the scope). As a bonus - on board memory to allow multiple loads to be stored in the scope, so when I change from 40 grain bullets to 75 grain bullets, all I have to do is flip a switch to set the reticle for that pre-zeroed load.

Just looking at some old threads the other day and thought I'd say something interesting, a scope like the one Baja Traveler mentioned has been designed and manufactured for several years. Though it doesn't have different reticles or a computerized feature, the Multizero scope by Kahles gives you the ability to sight in different bullet weights at several ranges. It retails for around $700. I don't have one, but they look cool.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,312 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

Leupolds Varmint series scopes allow for different bullet weight too. I have a couple but I rarely shoot different weights of bullets. I have one weight I shoot allot of so I know it inside and out and rarely have to guess at where it is going to hit.

Time waits for no one--

#17 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

Not just a shameless plug but all three of my Hawke scopes work with the Hawke BDC program. I can use any bullet weight I want, run the program and bullet drop is matched to specific points on my reticle. The horizontal bars are for drift @10 kts. of cross wind at those ranges.Attached File  SR_12_reticle_IR.jpg   38.16KB   29 downloads
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#18 daveinwoodland

daveinwoodland

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Obvious firearms and weapons. Computer networks and hardware Motorcycles (Street)

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

I would love to see a scope that is programmable for ballistic information and wind. This also would include an automatic range finder with automatic elevation and windage.As an example, you load data from you pc to the scope for various loads and based upon what you use you make a selection that is easy to do such as "load 1" load 2". At that point the scope calibrates itself for elevation and windage. Out in the field when in use the scope would automatically dope itself when a target is aquired.All of this would done in milliseconds and would have a connection between the trigger and the optics. Such as:Reticle placement, slight pressure on trigger scope auto ranges target, adjusts, fire.I know just a wish.

#19 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Burris is soon to release its "Eliminator" riflescope which ranges your target, calculate your specific bullet drop, and lights up holdover. Don't know if its programmable or how the built in BDC works, but this scope shows the advancement of optics. Not all advancements are good, but it does demonstrate it.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,312 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

So in other words the Eliminator will be illegal in California to hunt game with. The reason being because it is called by Burris a LaserScope. If it projects anything as in ranging it is illegal. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#21 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

How about a scope that comes with a screw-on scope cap for the objective lens? Now, this scope cap would not only have the snap-close feature, but it should also stay closed with magnetic force. You see, I own some Butler Creek scope caps for my rifle and the cap for the objective lens just won't stay closed. That makes me fire poker hot! It ain't the first one that's given me this problem. I've already turned the first one in to the Bass Pro Shop for a replacement and it still gives me grief.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#22 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

I know this is an old thread but here goes. There are a lot of scopes on the market that will provide the predator hunter with reasonable performance. some of them are very expensive. Some of them are surprisingly affordable. When it comes to affordable optics I see two categories. one category has scopes that are packed full of all the latest features. While the basics work just fine, the fancy features end up not making the grade.The second category has tough as nails scopes with decent glass and not a lot of ge-whiz stuff. A rifle with one of these won't win a bench-rest match but is more than up to the task of reducing a coyotes blood pressure to zero. These optics may not have premium quality glass but have more than enough resolution and detail for making shots out the ballistic limits of your average varmint round. The one feature I find missing from the latter category is matching reticle and turrets. If my scope has moa turrets, why not an moa reticle. Most of these scopes that do have a ranging reticle have either genuine mildot reticles or something else graduated in mils, why no 10th mil turrets. I don't the the cost of bringing these scopes to market would change if the turrets and reticles matched.

#23 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

The Hawke 1/2 Mil-Dot reticles are pretty cool. I own two scopes with that reticle and love them.

#24 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

Doest it have 10th mil turrets to match?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users