4 replies to this topic

#1 tubbyrob

tubbyrob

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

So i was wondering if the recoil of a gun can be a factor in causing the scope to become loose. i went to the range of sat and after about 20 shoots i noticed the scope was loose it was the tracks on the bottome that needed to be tightend not the actual rings. Is there something i can do to keep this from happening is there something i can buy. If i buy a new scope and new mounting hardware will i still have this problem? I have the savage combo pack in 30-06 that comes with a simmons scope. Thanks for any input.

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

You can put a little blue loctite or clear finger nail polish on the (clean) threads before you tighten them down to prevent them from coming loose.

#3 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Buy better rings and mounts.

#4 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

You can put a little blue loctite or clear finger nail polish on the (clean) threads before you tighten them down to prevent them from coming loose.

+1 to this solution. If that don't work listen to soreloser....and yes recoil can make cheaper mounts come loose.

#5 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

I always degrease the bases, screws and threads first. Then I install the bases with blue loc-tite. Lots of people say it is not needed and they may be correct but I like to use loc-tite. I alao use a small amount of blue loc-tite on the ring screws and tighten then pretty well.If you bought a combo gun with the scope already mounted I would definately take it off, degrease and re-install at least. Loc-tite if you like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users