4 replies to this topic

#1 tubbyrob

tubbyrob

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

So i was wondering if the recoil of a gun can be a factor in causing the scope to become loose. i went to the range of sat and after about 20 shoots i noticed the scope was loose it was the tracks on the bottome that needed to be tightend not the actual rings. Is there something i can do to keep this from happening is there something i can buy. If i buy a new scope and new mounting hardware will i still have this problem? I have the savage combo pack in 30-06 that comes with a simmons scope. Thanks for any input.

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

You can put a little blue loctite or clear finger nail polish on the (clean) threads before you tighten them down to prevent them from coming loose.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Buy better rings and mounts.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#4 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

You can put a little blue loctite or clear finger nail polish on the (clean) threads before you tighten them down to prevent them from coming loose.

+1 to this solution. If that don't work listen to soreloser....and yes recoil can make cheaper mounts come loose.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#5 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

I always degrease the bases, screws and threads first. Then I install the bases with blue loc-tite. Lots of people say it is not needed and they may be correct but I like to use loc-tite. I alao use a small amount of blue loc-tite on the ring screws and tighten then pretty well.If you bought a combo gun with the scope already mounted I would definately take it off, degrease and re-install at least. Loc-tite if you like.
Hunt with your kids not for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users