35 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

Aside from looking for the best long range varmint caliber, I'm also looking to get a 17 HMR. As far as I've read, it has the best ballistics and range of the rimfire calibers. My 10/22 is fun, but I want more power out of a rimfire. :lol: I was looking at a Savage and a Marlin today, but I hate the Accu-Trigger and the action on the Marlin felt kinda rough and cheap. Granted these were only $220 rifles and there is definitely room for improvement with aftermarket parts.So what do you all like in 17 HMR? Thanks!
Eric - Newbie Varmint HunterMember NRA (life), CRPA, VHA, USPSA

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

Aside from looking for the best long range varmint caliber, I'm also looking to get a 17 HMR. As far as I've read, it has the best ballistics and range of the rimfire calibers. My 10/22 is fun, but I want more power out of a rimfire. :lol: I was looking at a Savage and a Marlin today, but I hate the Accu-Trigger and the action on the Marlin felt kinda rough and cheap. Granted these were only $220 rifles and there is definitely room for improvement with aftermarket parts.So what do you all like in 17 HMR? Thanks!

I like the looks of the Ruger bolt gun and the CZ 452. Since I'm left handed I bought the only one that came in lefty, the Savage 93 but I have a left handed CZ 22 lr now also.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

Ansch?tz makes a left handed .17HMR and it would be my choice.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

What's your price range, and what's the MOST important thing to you, accuracy or looks? In the rimfire world, you can't have both. :)You could buy a used pre-Accutrigger Savage, and then get an aftermarket trigger for it. A new Marlin with an aftermarket trigger would rock. A new Savage is just as good but you don't like the Accutrigger. Those are your inexpensive options. They shoot fantastic, but fit and finish is a bit lacking. Rugers look sweet but there's a lot of reports that they don't shoot well. CZ is good looking and most of them shoot good too. Anschutz are nice too. There's always a Cooper if you've got the cash, but I doubt they shoot well enough to justify the price considering how well a cheap ol' Savage/Marlin shoots. Those are your pricey options. They're easy on the eyes. I say, get the new Savage and get used to the Accutrigger.

#5 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

What's your price range, and what's the MOST important thing to you, accuracy or looks? In the rimfire world, you can't have both. :lol:

I'm not too worried about the looks as long as it's accurate, the looks can always be improved cheaper than accuracy.If price wasn't an option, I'd get the $900 Volquartsen with carbon fiber barrel and muzzle brake. But that's kind of insane for a rimfire in my opinion even if it is a semi-auto 17 HMR.

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

Looks like a CZ fits your bill, it's a nice looking rifle. It's about twice the price of a Savage or Marlin, but less than a Ruger. And the CZ will likely shoot middle-of-the-pack, better than a Ruger but probably not as well as a Savage or Marlin. Hurry up and buy it so you can take pics and post range reports. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to talk my father-in-law out of buying a Ruger 17HMR. He's in love with the looks of it, and he knows it won't shoot as good as my cheapie Marlin. But the whole reason he wants a 17HMR is because of the amazing accuracy he experienced with my Marlin, he can't stop talking about it. Yet he's going to purchase the least accurate brand out there... I can't talk him out of it... :lol:

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Marlin, Savage or CZ. Cz more $ but nice wood, fit, finish, trigger, etc. and very accurate. Stay away from the plastic stocks if possible. The SSS trigger on the old Savage or the RB trigger fixes that on the Savage and Marlin. There are also some aftermarket stocks out that help in the pretty dept. Don't underscope it.JMHO
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#8 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

Anyone have an opinion on the T/C G2 Contender in 17 HMR? If anyone has one, how hard are the barrel changes? Sounds like a cool concept to have virtually a new gun in 12 different calibers for $200-250 each.

#9 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:59 AM

Ben, my Ruger shoots like a lazer gun... I guess I got lucky? I will say though, that the bolt can be smoother, a bit rough.... I'd go with the VQ semi auto. Only because when I shoot with Capitol, he'll clean out an area faster before I can even rack the bolt :lol:

#10 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:23 AM

I don't like the trigger safety part of the Accu-Trigger. It feels like pulling 2 triggers to me. But I guess I'm weird.Is it possible to rebarrel a 10/22 to make it a 17 HMR?

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:36 AM

Is it possible to rebarrel a 10/22 to make it a 17 HMR?

You can rebarrel a .22mag but no you can't change the lowly 10/22LR. The action can't take the abuse of the mag cartridge hammering it.I could never figure the muzzle brakes on a .17HMR I mean they look cool and all. But do you really need one for that awesome recoil? :lol: Larger centerfires I can see it. But then anyone shooting with you will hate you for the noise and anything you kick up in their face. :) Sorry I read the wrong post earlier about left handed. But the Ansch?tz .17HMR would be my choice for the ultimate in accuracy in a bolt gun. Joel's Ruger is a specially made gun show him a picture Joel.

Time waits for no one--

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:38 AM

Yes, if you have a 10/22 mag and not the more common 10/22 LR receiver.

I beat you to the punch. :) :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:52 AM

looks and accuracy.....dont make me put a pic of the VQ 17HMR rifle here too, John :P

Explain why they have that muzzle brake on there would you? :lol: I mean the recoil must be horrendous right? ;) :) I'll reach into my bag of famous quotes for you.

You like sissy girl!

Ace Ventura - When Nature Calls. B) :P Sorry I couldn't help myself. :P

Time waits for no one--

#14 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:10 AM

I'm never shy showing off pics :)Posted ImageRuger X-17 17HMRPosted ImageRuger 10/22 converted with a Boyd's conversion kit to shoot 17HM2 (necked down 22lr). I just love this gun and slowly being accepted in the CPC ;)Posted ImageVQ 22lr rifle with muzzle brake just for John... This really does not need a brake. It does look cool though, but with the weight and the brake, the rifle doesn't move at all when on the bench. :lol:

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

VQ 22lr rifle with muzzle brake just for John... This really does not need a brake. It does look cool though, but with the weight and the brake, the rifle doesn't move at all when on the bench. ;)

Nice guns. :P The reason I wanted you to post that picture of your Ruger X-17 is it isn't your standard Ruger. :lol: I don't think it would move without the brake. :) :P At least my 10/22 doesn't. B)

Time waits for no one--

#16 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

Hey, I have a brake on my 10/22. It does make a difference. :lol: I think. Well, at least it looks cool.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

Hey, I have a brake on my 10/22. It does make a difference. :lol: I think. Well, at least it looks cool.

Yeah! I get the looks cool part. B)Not picking on you capitol If I spent that much money I'd want bitchin holes drilled in my barrel too. :) I mean look at the weight and blast reduction! B) :lol:I know I'm just jealous I don't have holes in my head I mean barrel too. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#18 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

I don't even think VQ offers their barrels without brakes? I'm sure some of their barrels do, but the fluted ones almost all come with brakes...

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:34 AM

I don't even think VQ offers their barrels without brakes? I'm sure some of their barrels do, but the fluted ones almost all come with brakes...

Their Standard model comes without the brake.Posted ImageI'm just giving everyone a hard time about the brakes. They look neat and I'd have one on mine if they came that way. Maybe I'll head out to the shop and fire up the drill press. Then again maybe I better not. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:05 PM

When are you getting a VQ, John?

#21 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

Yea John You've been talking about it for a year or more. Dive in the water's fine. :lol:

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,246 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

WOW those Volquartsen rifles are sure nice I like the snake fluted model they are just to expensive for me at this time. I will just buy the poor man gun a savage ..... :lol:

#23 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Anyone have an opinion on the T/C G2 Contender in 17 HMR? If anyone has one, how hard are the barrel changes? Sounds like a cool concept to have virtually a new gun in 12 different calibers for $200-250 each.

It is cool! It is addicting also. I have a 10" Bullberry and a 16.5" TC 17 HMR barrels for my old style Contenders and a 14" HM2 barrel also. Barrel changes are about a minute with either style. You're not limited to 12 calibers by anything except your wallet. I've taken PD out to 280 yds with the carbine.Then there are the four centerfire 17 barrels. :lol: Well you get the idea. :lol: A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

I sure got a bunch of them. But the part that really gripes me is you pay a pretty fair price for a good barrel. Then you have to buy a scope for each one. I'm working on a flat top rail like on my AR's so I can get a LaRue mount and swap one or two scopes around.

Time waits for no one--

#25 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:15 PM

I just use a Weaver 92a base and Weaver Rings. Not real pretty but, you can swap the scopes quickly and the zero is usually pretty close. And, it is cost effective.A17Shooter

#26 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:56 PM

I am glad that I live so far away from you folks .... if I were to get to shoot that VQ of Capitol's I'd have to get one of my own. That thing just looks TOUGH.

#27 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

There is a CZ 17 hmr on GGVG classifieds for $280 no rings.

#28 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

Joel 1316 - I love the way that X-17 looks. I'm going to contact Ruger to see if I can order a stock for my 77/17 All Weather.I bought a VQ 20" powder coated barrel from www.rimfiresports.com for about $300 bucks. They also have the VQ trigger sear for $30. The sear made my trigger come down to a sweet 1 1/2 lbs and took (literally) 45 seconds to install!My point is, the Ruger can be upgraded if you don't have the $$$ for the VQ.Out of the box my 77/17 shot between 1/2" - 3/4" at 100 yards. Not bad!The VQ barrel and sear brought it to 1/4" @ 100 yards (with no wind).If you can, get the VQ. Nothing like exterminating varmints as fast as you can pull the trigger! :lol:

#29 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

If you can, get the VQ. Nothing like exterminating varmints as fast as you can pull the trigger! :lol:

Yeah, I just saw that VQ has a semi auto .204 that can use AR mags. If that thing is CA legal, I'm almost considering it, but it's almost $2000. But a semi .204 with a 30 round AR mag would be the best varmint gun on the planet!!!

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

Well, it's not a .204 but it takes 30 round mags and even a 75 round drum. Plus it shoots 1/4 MOA at a hundred yards. :lol: Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users