4 replies to this topic

#1 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

I mounted up the Leatherwood 4-16 50mm obj 30mm tube the other day (with who knows what brand of rings (I think they're Weaver) but they weren't packaged and they were free).It looks really Tacticool on my Varmint AR and didn't seem to add much weight. I took it out today with Grant and we set up targets at 50, 100, and 200.The weather was piss poor in Tracy with heavy fog and mist. My scope was dripping while we were sighting in.I started out at 50yds and walked it in till I got her drilling the center out of the 1" diamond. The elevation turret has two allen screws on top that allow you to move your zero indicator once you're sighted in. The problem with top mounted screws is that it wants to turn the whole turret if you don't hold it in place. Falcon's screws are in the side of the top knob and this isn't a problem. Same is true with the windage adjustment.I shot at 100 and 200 and was happy with what clarity I could get considering the conditions and zero held true. I really like the reticle. Its the "no math mil dot" in the image below.After sighting in we started cruising the ranch looking for squeeks that were dumb enuf to be out on such a crappy day and we were rewarded with about 12-15 each. As the day went on the sun finally broke through and the clarity of the optics turned out to be very nice indeed from 4x (VERY NICE) to 16x (Nice but not as clear) I was able to make some pretty nice shots on squeeks out to about 225 +/-. The only thing I really didn't like and just have to keep an eye on when shooting is that the elevation turret is easy to move accidentally by brushing against my jacket or truck seat. I missed a few shots and looked to see the elevation was about five clicks off. Turned it back down and it was right back on.Over all I'm pretty happy with it considering the price. Once feature that I haven't played with yet is the "flags" that are on the elevation turret. These will allow me to have a marker for different ranges OR I could use them with different ammo assuming the windage didn't change or I noted the windage adjustments neeeded for each load.

Attached Files

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

If the elevation control can be moved by just bumping it, I would only use it as a bench scope. You sure don't want to have to check each and every time before taking a shot. That is just ridiculous.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hey Braz... this scope has target turrets, and You would be right if it happened in a hunting environment it would screw you up. We however were riding around on dirt roads, " Private,locked gates with no private access" and so when you set the rifle butt on the floor its not uncommon for the turrets to make contact with the seat. The turrits on my scope have caps, so thats not a problem for me. Im gonna put some target turrits on my Nikon that is on my Howa 1500 varminter, to see if the same thing happens. I had mentioned, maybe in a case like that, a piece of tape wrapped around the turrit would help. Were gonna mess with em and see what happens. These types of scopes are new to us... looks like fun to play with though !

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

What do you mean not bad? I would say that is real good, hitting ground squirrels at 200 +. As long as it returns to zero and track true when you play ithe the turrets I would not worry about it. It is smart to always look and see where you are at any ways when you start figureing out how to dial for elevation and windage on the long shots. Congrats and keep us informed.

#5 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

I had to have rubbed the rifle against my jacket when I moved them. As long as I was careful not to do that it never moved. I'm happy,,,thanks Bennie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users