85 replies to this topic

#61 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to erect, 5-7 minutes to tear down which isn't too bad IMO. I have issues w/ snakes...was bit as a teen and it left a scar on my leg and a bigger mental scar in my head. I will admit I have purchased many things for "hunting" that I now pay to store. I guess that's part of the learning curve for newbies. Gotta GPS w/ a huge manual I have yet to read, 3 bipods and one monopod, packs and stuff I may never use. This tent won't be one of those things I don't use...of this I am sure. My girls like it too much.

#62 gregminor

gregminor

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

3 words. ROOF TOP TENT!- 3 minute set up (if that)- Thick foam mattress built in- Large interior- Off the ground away from critters- looks sweet..i.e. http://www.campingla...rpatecho02.html
"For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security." -Thomas Jefferson

#63 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

I use a Coleman BlackCat catalytic heater in my 10'x10' Kodiak, but I only turn it on for a few minutes before bed, and then long enough to warm the tent in the morning. It's designed for indoor use but I don't trust it enough to sleep with it on. I also sleep in a Cabelas Pine Ridge Classic sleeping bag that is rated to -20*, plus a roll of 2" memory foam that I lay between my bag & cot, and an old comforter if I need extra layering. If your face gets cold, you can always throw a jacket or blanket over your head. Another option is getting a few of those 12-hour-long body/sleeping bag warmers and stick them in your sleeping bag *see link*. Been tent camping in temperatures near 0* with no problems. I also keep a heavy wool blanket inside of every vehicle I own (including my work truck). You never know when you're going to be stranded in cold weather for an extended period of time.http://www.cabelas.c...h-box.jsp.form1
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#64 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

:) :) :wacko: :wacko:

#65 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

:) :) :wacko: :)

:) Who's beating a dead horse? I didn't see anyone else mention the jacket/blanket over your head idea, the body/sleeping bag warmer idea, or the suggestion of keeping a wool blanket with you at all times. Sure beats "pulling your truck up next to your campfire" (unless you actually prefer ash, smoke, and possibly sparks getting on your vehicle & tent)... :wacko:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#66 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

I didn't say you were beating a dead horse either. This topic is a dead horse

#67 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

Yep! I considered everyone's input and decided to play it safe. A Bedrug was installed yesterday...very nice! Like laying on a carpet. Covers the entire bed. I will lay a 50" X 90" 3" closed cell foam pad on top of it and the tent will work just fine. Already have sleeping bags, lights, those warmers and extra blankets. The basket I got for the towhitch will work as a step to make it easier to step uo into the tent (truck's gotta decent lift kit on it) so all I gotta do now is figure out whether to two tow the Jeep behind it or not.

#68 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Don't try and tow that Grand Cherokee! It is full time 4x4 and has to be towed off the ground. Not towable!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#69 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

There are two ways to tow one...on a trailer w/ all four tires off the ground or with the front tires off the ground and something that needs to be disconnected before towing. Been a long time since I owned a Gr. Cherokee and don't recall what we had disconnected. Anybody know? Think it was something to do with the tranny. Took a few minutes to reconnect.

#70 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

The driveline!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#71 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

Sounds like you already know. I just wanted to be sure. Some folks may think that it's a jeep, and so it can be towed. After they burn it up they start checking. Better to know up front.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#72 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

There are two ways to tow one...on a trailer w/ all four tires off the ground or with the front tires off the ground and something that needs to be disconnected before towing. Been a long time since I owned a Gr. Cherokee and don't recall what we had disconnected. Anybody know? Think it was something to do with the tranny. Took a few minutes to reconnect.

You're probably thinking of a REMCO driveshaft coupler.

#73 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

Don't try and tow that Grand Cherokee! It is full time 4x4 and has to be towed off the ground. Not towable!

Braz You are not correct. I pull a 2000 G. Cherokee behind my MH and have many years + many miles. Takes a few minutes manipulate the tranny and transfer case per the owners manual and to hook up with a Toad hookup hitch. I've also added a separate lighting system so I didn't have to go through the computer. If you search for Toads under Motorhomes you'll see.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#74 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

I was just making the comment based on how I remembered the owners manual in the 97 GC that I sold to Bruce. If I'm wrong, then I guess he can tow it. But that is sure not how I remembered the owners manual.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#75 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Buzz they have changed that with your later model GC. Jeeps especially the Grand Cherokee's were always the worst vehicle to tow with tow trucks as they did not ever have a "true" neutral in the transfer case assembly. That has been changed now. So the older ones need a dolly and to have the rear driveline removed. Newer model Grand Cherokee's you can tow with all four wheels on the ground after you put the transfer case in neutral, then with the engine shut off, put the transmission in Park. The key should be in the unlocked OFF position.

Time waits for no one--

#76 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

John, always the diplomat. We are both right. :welcomeani:
Handmade Calls by Braz

#77 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

Buzz they have changed that with your later model GC. Jeeps especially the Grand Cherokee's were always the worst vehicle to tow with tow trucks as they did not ever have a "true" neutral in the transfer case assembly. That has been changed now. So the older ones need a dolly and to have the rear driveline removed. Newer model Grand Cherokee's you can tow with all four wheels on the ground after you put the transfer case in neutral, then with the engine shut off, put the transmission in Park. The key should be in the unlocked OFF position.

John I've got a buddy with a 93' the first year they made them?? He tows it and has for 15 years and does the same thing as I do. He's the one that convinced me to get one. There was one model that had a different Trans. Case but most of them can be towed if they are four wheel drive.

#78 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

I called a neighbor who owns a used car business and she sent me to her repo guy and he told me basically what I wrote. I did a quick check of the internet and it said basically the same thing. Oh, my wifes parents own an earlier one and it had to be towed once. They came out with a normal tow truck but had to respond a flatbed. So that's my story. Since I don't own one I honestly don't care. But since we had an earlier GC in the family and it need a flatbed. I thought I'd check as I knew someone in the tow business. That's it from here.

Time waits for no one--

#79 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

I called my buddy and he said that they made them both ways. It's a different Trans. Case. One had a neutral and one didn't and the one's that have a neutral can be towed without doing anything to it but follow the Owners Manual. Easy to figure by looking at the 4WD shift lever inside. 2WD can't without modifications. Good ref. he said is Remco.

#80 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

Yep, it seems had we read lilwes278's post above we could have shortened this post substantially. Remco like Wes said shows which vehicle can and can't be towed. Apparently Braz's can't be towed without modification. Looks like you don't need to get those glasses checked after all Braz. :welcomeani:

Time waits for no one--

#81 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Yep

#82 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

Leave wife and kids at home take a hot women and stay worm. :smiley-outta-here: :doh[1]: :popcorn: :good: Warm I ment warm. But the hot women might give you worms.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#83 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

Get a low temp. sleeping bag like one for backpacking (I have a Mountain Hardware Lamina 20 for backpacking that i use). Then do jumping jacks or something to get your body heat up. The sleeping bag will hold your heat in if it's a good one for your temprature range.

#84 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

What? You mean this isn't cool??? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Posted Image

#85 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Yes I can picture Bruce with his drink in one hand and a nice big cigar in the other walking around the fire in that :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#86 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Naw...I'd just bring the wife.Attached File  1.jpg   20.09KB   6 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users