18 replies to this topic

#1 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

I'm shooting a benelli nova no but I've been thinking about picking up an auto loader. What do you guy think of the auto compaired to the pump? Is it even worth considering to change?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Pumps are hard to beat for reliability. That Nova you have is an excellent gun. You're going to kill whatever you are shooting at with the first shot anyway. RIGHT! :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

And you can be back on target with a new shell in the chamber just about as fast, so why spend the money? Unless you have have too much and it's burning a hole, and in that case, shoot me a PM. I got a few places you can spend it. :roflmao3[1]:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Now this is the truth if you buy a good auto loader like beretta, rem 1100, browning. benelli, you will never shoot your pump again. Auto loaders are so much fun. The first shot is the most important like sj said. I just love my 391 beretta I can shoot the lightest cheap wallmart loads to the hot 3" duck loads and it ejects just fine.

#5 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

i have a pump that sits in the safe now that i bought a Remington 11-87,i can shoot light loads and i can shoot 3 1/2 mags.as mentioned, the first shot is the most important, but for follow up shots i dont even have to think about cycling the action i just focus on the target and shoot, now you can work pump almost as fast as an auto loader but not quite. i like my semi auto because i dont have to work the pump, doing that you have to move off line from the target, especially if they are moving, you would have to adjust to the animal,footing,up hill, down hill,reset your feet and if you have multiples, first one may be down then you have to cycle the pump,then realign on the target and if its a pair of coyotes well good luck they haul a%s. :roflmao3[1]:
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#6 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

recoil, :roflmao3[1]: my 2000 don't kick much, it's allways a dream to shoot, even the tm1 kicks harder and it's like ten pounds, have fun stephen

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

I must disagree with everybody here. I say own both. I am a gunho tho...I will buy guns just to keep others from having them.

#8 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

I like punps less problems :pirashoot:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

Now this is the truth if you buy a good auto loader like beretta, rem 1100, browning. benelli, you will never shoot your pump again.

I agree 100%. Stay with the three Bs (Browning, Beretta, Benelli) or the Winchester SX3 and you wont pull your pump out of the safe again. More than any other piece of hunting gear, the rule of "you get what you pay for" is paramount when it comes to auto loading shotguns. If you buy a good one, and you clean it every once in a while, it will be just as reliable as a pump. I love my old 870 but both of my Browning autoloaders are just as reliable, lighter, and don't kick as much. Heck, my Maxus is even easier to tear down for a complete cleaning than my 870.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#10 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Pumps are good especially if you shoot left handed like I do. Some auto-loaders I have shot have were frustrating because of the location of the trigger guard safety. After the first shot, I would squeze the safety on, so I was really not getting the shot recovery anyways. I am hoping to upgrade from my Mossberg 500 to a Benelli Nova before next waterfowl season. Pumps have taught me a lot of shot discipline, and I really make I take the right amount of time before I pull the trigger.

#11 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

+1 for the auto and +100 for the Beretta!!!!!!!! I love my xtrema II. I can shoot low base dove loads to 3 1/2" dead coyote loads. I'm not knocking pumps my 870 was a great gun but I can't help but love my auto.

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:50 AM

Ron, I say if you want an auto you should get it... Yes, pumps are normally more reliable & is what I use for predators (O/U for birds), however, the folks that make the MOST HITS on anything (birds, coyotes etc), are using auto's. That fast, 2nd follow up shot can make the difference between success or failure. Good LuckFrank

#13 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

If you don't have an auto loader get one, you already have a pump. Good advice already given on brands. Three B's + the Winny X3. The Remington 11-87's have been problematic. I would shoot them all before buying. Find a friend that has a few auto loaders and try them out.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#14 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Shotguns are for the Birds! Coyotes get Bullets ! :signlol2iu: :horse apples:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#15 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

i wouldn't mind an autoloader. i have a mossberg 500 maxi comboand a mossberg 590 A-1. i love both of them.
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#16 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:34 AM

IMHO you should have a pump and an over/under. Then if you can afford it, get an auto. Karl
Karl

#17 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

Pumps are for folks that don't mind the recoil and don't have a whole lot of cash.Autos are for folks that have the cash and like a little less recoil. O/U are for folks that have the cash and don't mind the recoil.I say get one or more of each kind. I have 2 pumps, 2 autos, and 1 O/U. Also, don't buy a cheap gun in a rush to judgement. If you have 10 guns and all of them are of a lesser quality, all you have is a safe full of cheap guns.

#18 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Pumps are for folks that don't mind the recoil and don't have a whole lot of cash.Autos are for folks that have the cash and like a little less recoil. O/U are for folks that have the cash and don't mind the recoil.

Are Single-Shots for folks who don't mind the recoil, save the cash and hit what they are aiming at? :lol: :roflmao3[1]:

#19 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

You have a valid point, but I like to shoot multiples when they come in. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users