24 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph64

Joseph64

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

I noticed the Calwell Lead Sled DFT has mixed reviews. Any advice from the forum?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

Unless you are working up loads for a really big caliber or have a problem with recoil I wouldn't get one. I've seen them crack stocks a few guns because there is no place for the recoil to go. People over load the sled trying to remove all recoil and something has to give. A couple of sand bags made from old denim pants work great. Of course this is from the guy that has at least a half dozen different types of mechanical rests.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

Amen on the sandbags John. Cheap and rock steady.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, there are many different ones that's for sure. But the Sand bags are very easy to make like I mentioned or you can buy one like these.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imageor you can go with a mechanical rest like this.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Time waits for no one--

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image I bought the one on the front at big five for 19.95
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

That had to be mismarked Bernie but good catch. They retail starting around $219.00 and weigh 15 1/2 lbs.http://www.battenfel...product=rock-brI've seen the Jr. on sale for $20.http://www.battenfel...product=Rock-Jr

Time waits for no one--

#7 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

If your into seriously investing in a good, rock solid rest, check out Hyskores. They are great, and even have some models with remote trigger release. Or you could get a cabela'scatalog and surf through it. They have some good buys as low as $60-$100 for an excellent rest system.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

That's not using a rest anymore when you have them strapped down like that. I like to have some control over the weapon.

Time waits for no one--

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

I use my backpack-even at the range. When I get hungry, I reach inside for a snack. I like practicing with what I use in the field. When sighting in though, I mount my Harris shorty bipods and use a small sand bag under the rifles' butt.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#10 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

I use sandbags and a sled. I prefer the sled for sighting in scopes and if you don't overload it, it's a great platform for this application. I usually put 50-90lbs of lead on it (depending on caliber of rifle) and my big bore gun still moves it. It's also padded in the rear so i am not concerned about it breaking my stock. The sled is also great for comparing different ammo. Many guys w/ different types of bags often ask to borrow my sled (when I'm not using it) so they have a place. Once i have my ammo & scope dialed in...I switch. For regular practice I use my shooting stix, Harris bipod or offhand.

#11 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

I use a Caldwell JR front rest and a sandbag my lovely bride sewed out of some denim pant leg for a rear rest. I've also used a number of homemade sand bags before for the front rest, works just fine. I doubt that most of us could shoot any better off of a $200 front rest than a good solid sandbag. They are just handier to adjust for different rifles.I shoot quite a bit at another friends house, he has a nice table built and a homemade front rest he built out of sissor jack. Has a nice leather front rest bag on it. That thing cost him a few dollars to build, weighs about 30lbs, and is the nicest rest to shoot off of I've ever seen.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#12 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

[quote name='ShooterJohn' date='Dec 30 2009, 04:28 PM' post='173923']That had to be mismarked Bernie but good catch. They retail starting around $219.00 and weigh 15 1/2 lbs.http://www.battenfel...product=rock-brMine is a saint Angelo sure rest retail 59.95
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#13 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

I myself use my gun case and an old sandbag with nothing at the rear but my shoulder. Works fine for me, and I consitently get 1 inch groups with my favorite guns. I personally have never owned a Hyskore, but my friend had one and I tried it out. I, too, like to be the one actually handling my gun, not the rest.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

don't laugh I use a pillow half filled with sand and a old leather bag filled with sand to but it works. A friend gave me a few money bags to that I am sure will make good sand bags.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Money bags work good. But old Levi pant legs from below the knee make some of the longest lasting and best bags. But you do have to sew them shut.

Time waits for no one--

#16 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Shot bags are good also if you reload shotgun ammo

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Money bags work good. But old Levi pant legs from below the knee make some of the longest lasting and best bags. But you do have to sew them shut.

I did the levi bags to but I left them out on the shooting table and the weather just destroyed them.What I need to do is set a small storage locker out there and hide it next to a tree.

#18 DonArkie

DonArkie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Owner of a company in the hunting industry

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

My business has a few of the lead sleds, we use them as gun craddles & siting in & pattern. I have zero complaints. Couldnt find a better solid rest for a firearm.
"Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." Col. Tom Kelly

#19 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

Here is my tightwad setup ;)Actually, it works very well. A more accomplished woodworker could easily make the rear rest adjustable to more tightly clamp the stock of the rifle, I was thinking something with a slide and a couple of wingnuts would work, or a padded woodworkers vise. I made these out of some scraps I had after building shelves in the gunroom, and they work just fine for my use. I just glued the felt to the wood with some fabric glue my bride uses for sewing projects.Attached File  1.jpg   9.94KB   17 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   9.88KB   15 downloads
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

Three 3/4" dowels & an O-ring.Posted Image :signs1180lq: Then all you need is a field full of burrowing rodents and a TC with a 17 AH barrel.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#21 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

I use the basic Lead Sled of a few years ago and like the option of adding weight to it to reduce recoil if needed. I usually use it as is b/c it does enough recoil reduction with its own weight. I got mine at Turners for $89 several yrs ago and unless you're really recoil sensitive...several other options including those pictures above would probably be a better option. SnS
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#22 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

I use this one:http://www.mtmcase-g...-rests-psr.htmllightweight, won't scratch or damage your rifle, cheap, and rock steady.

#23 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, there are many different ones that's for sure. But the Sand bags are very easy to make like I mentioned or you can buy one like these.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imageor you can go with a mechanical rest like this.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I think it's really neat that all of those different people let you take pics of thier guns.. :signs1242cn:

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

They wouldn't so I had to take a couple of mine. :two-cents:

Time waits for no one--

#25 Mitch

Mitch

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:I hunt anything you can buy a tag or a stamp for.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

What if your hunting? Do you bring sandbags with you on a deer hunt?
I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users