24 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph64

Joseph64

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

I noticed the Calwell Lead Sled DFT has mixed reviews. Any advice from the forum?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

Unless you are working up loads for a really big caliber or have a problem with recoil I wouldn't get one. I've seen them crack stocks a few guns because there is no place for the recoil to go. People over load the sled trying to remove all recoil and something has to give. A couple of sand bags made from old denim pants work great. Of course this is from the guy that has at least a half dozen different types of mechanical rests.

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

Amen on the sandbags John. Cheap and rock steady.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, there are many different ones that's for sure. But the Sand bags are very easy to make like I mentioned or you can buy one like these.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imageor you can go with a mechanical rest like this.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image I bought the one on the front at big five for 19.95

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

That had to be mismarked Bernie but good catch. They retail starting around $219.00 and weigh 15 1/2 lbs.http://www.battenfel...product=rock-brI've seen the Jr. on sale for $20.http://www.battenfel...product=Rock-Jr

#7 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

If your into seriously investing in a good, rock solid rest, check out Hyskores. They are great, and even have some models with remote trigger release. Or you could get a cabela'scatalog and surf through it. They have some good buys as low as $60-$100 for an excellent rest system.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

That's not using a rest anymore when you have them strapped down like that. I like to have some control over the weapon.

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

I use my backpack-even at the range. When I get hungry, I reach inside for a snack. I like practicing with what I use in the field. When sighting in though, I mount my Harris shorty bipods and use a small sand bag under the rifles' butt.

#10 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

I use sandbags and a sled. I prefer the sled for sighting in scopes and if you don't overload it, it's a great platform for this application. I usually put 50-90lbs of lead on it (depending on caliber of rifle) and my big bore gun still moves it. It's also padded in the rear so i am not concerned about it breaking my stock. The sled is also great for comparing different ammo. Many guys w/ different types of bags often ask to borrow my sled (when I'm not using it) so they have a place. Once i have my ammo & scope dialed in...I switch. For regular practice I use my shooting stix, Harris bipod or offhand.

#11 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

I use a Caldwell JR front rest and a sandbag my lovely bride sewed out of some denim pant leg for a rear rest. I've also used a number of homemade sand bags before for the front rest, works just fine. I doubt that most of us could shoot any better off of a $200 front rest than a good solid sandbag. They are just handier to adjust for different rifles.I shoot quite a bit at another friends house, he has a nice table built and a homemade front rest he built out of sissor jack. Has a nice leather front rest bag on it. That thing cost him a few dollars to build, weighs about 30lbs, and is the nicest rest to shoot off of I've ever seen.

#12 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

[quote name='ShooterJohn' date='Dec 30 2009, 04:28 PM' post='173923']That had to be mismarked Bernie but good catch. They retail starting around $219.00 and weigh 15 1/2 lbs.http://www.battenfel...product=rock-brMine is a saint Angelo sure rest retail 59.95

#13 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

I myself use my gun case and an old sandbag with nothing at the rear but my shoulder. Works fine for me, and I consitently get 1 inch groups with my favorite guns. I personally have never owned a Hyskore, but my friend had one and I tried it out. I, too, like to be the one actually handling my gun, not the rest.

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

don't laugh I use a pillow half filled with sand and a old leather bag filled with sand to but it works. A friend gave me a few money bags to that I am sure will make good sand bags.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Money bags work good. But old Levi pant legs from below the knee make some of the longest lasting and best bags. But you do have to sew them shut.

#16 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Shot bags are good also if you reload shotgun ammo

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Money bags work good. But old Levi pant legs from below the knee make some of the longest lasting and best bags. But you do have to sew them shut.

I did the levi bags to but I left them out on the shooting table and the weather just destroyed them.What I need to do is set a small storage locker out there and hide it next to a tree.

#18 DonArkie

DonArkie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Owner of a company in the hunting industry

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

My business has a few of the lead sleds, we use them as gun craddles & siting in & pattern. I have zero complaints. Couldnt find a better solid rest for a firearm.

#19 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

Here is my tightwad setup ;)Actually, it works very well. A more accomplished woodworker could easily make the rear rest adjustable to more tightly clamp the stock of the rifle, I was thinking something with a slide and a couple of wingnuts would work, or a padded woodworkers vise. I made these out of some scraps I had after building shelves in the gunroom, and they work just fine for my use. I just glued the felt to the wood with some fabric glue my bride uses for sewing projects.Attached File  1.jpg   9.94KB   17 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   9.88KB   15 downloads

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

Three 3/4" dowels & an O-ring.Posted Image :signs1180lq: Then all you need is a field full of burrowing rodents and a TC with a 17 AH barrel.

#21 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

I use the basic Lead Sled of a few years ago and like the option of adding weight to it to reduce recoil if needed. I usually use it as is b/c it does enough recoil reduction with its own weight. I got mine at Turners for $89 several yrs ago and unless you're really recoil sensitive...several other options including those pictures above would probably be a better option. SnS

#22 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

I use this one:http://www.mtmcase-g...-rests-psr.htmllightweight, won't scratch or damage your rifle, cheap, and rock steady.

#23 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, there are many different ones that's for sure. But the Sand bags are very easy to make like I mentioned or you can buy one like these.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imageor you can go with a mechanical rest like this.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I think it's really neat that all of those different people let you take pics of thier guns.. :signs1242cn:

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

They wouldn't so I had to take a couple of mine. :two-cents:

#25 Mitch

Mitch

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:I hunt anything you can buy a tag or a stamp for.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

What if your hunting? Do you bring sandbags with you on a deer hunt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users