#1 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

So i'm modding a bunch of stuff on my old 10/22 to rig it out for ground squirrels (it is already okay but im just having fun with it). I need a new scope for it (the one i have is old, small, and low power). Im thinking of getting the Bushnell banner dusk and dawn in 4-12x40mm off cabelas because it seems sufficient for 20-100 yd. ground squirrel and small game hunts. Its also quite cheap (99.99). My one worry is the 3" eye relief, that seems kind of short. The scopes ive used in the past have been low quality but I want a decent one for my modded 10/22. Would the Bushnell be enough for 100 yd. hunting and less? Is it worth more money for a better scope. I dont think i need a 50mm objective and the eye relief is the only spec thats different for 200$ nikon 3-9x40mmAlso, do you think that 4-12 is overkill for those low ranges. I havent used anything higher than 4x ever, which i know is not enough for 50-100 yd.Last question, can i use any 1" scope ring mounts, i already have the mount from the old scope and see no reason to buy a new one if i dont have to.thanks,Epick

#2 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

I've got a Mueller APV 4-14x40mm on a .17 hmr and now another one on a 10/22. Very pleased with the scope for the money, they run about $120. I've heard a lot of good things about them and I'm very happy with mine. Price wise they are a little cheaper than the cheapest Nikon you can find, but I think they are a little better scope. I wouldn't buy anything cheaper. I've learned the hard way that cheap scopes are well, cheap. You get what you pay for. The Mueller is the cheapest scope I'd recommend for anything, and I'd only suggest it for a rimfire gun. They do make other more expensive scopes, but I've not much experience with them. I'm not much of a fan of Bushnell, or Bushnell customer service. I hear on this site that the 3200 and 4200 scopes are good, but they are several hundred bucks or more. Just looked, Windwalker Outdoors still has the Mueller APV for $115, free sunshade and shipping.Give Kurt a call, he'll fix you up, bought mine from him. http://www.windwalke...p?idproduct=785

#3 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

alright ill check it out, i hesitated to buy the bushnell because i read that you definetly get what you pay for with scopes. for somereason i cant connect to the windwalker outdoors site

#4 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

+1 on the Mueller Scopes. I own one on my 10 22 and have shot others - good value.

#5 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

found it on another site for $115. Is it worth buying the polarized lens cap or not?

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:34 AM

Considering the fact that you will be experiencing significant bullet drop with a 10-22, a scope with a duplex reticle (as on the Mueller scope) may not be the best choice. I am an advertiser here and I can offer you a scope that is an incredible value for the money. A HAWKE SPORT HD 3 X 9 - 50mm RIFLESCOPE WITH MIL DOT RETICLE so you'll be able to consistently make the longer shots. See it here HAWKE Scope. It is presently on sale and features bright, crisp, clear optics. This is a great scope for the money. Other features: Spring gun rated (so you know it is rugged), 1/4-inch M.O.A. Turrets, Fully Coated HAWKE HD Lens System, 1-inch Matte Black, Anti-Glare Body Tube, Waterproof, Shockproof & Fog Proof, HAWKE Worldwide Warranty. This would be the perfect scope for your 10-22. I am an advertiser here and I frequent the forum. If you are not happy with something you purchase from me, it will be common knowledge. I would not recommend something that I did not think would perform for you. This HAWKE scope is a great value and it's not some cheesie piece of junk.If your budget permits, another great option (also with a Mil-Dot Reticle) specifically designed for the .22 caliber is this scope HAWKE Rimfire ScopeThe above are two great scopes that offer the best in features, optics, performance and value. If you have any questions, drop me a note.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users