16 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Yesterday, I was invited to shoot pigeons at a large cattle farm here in the valley. I will do this with my pellet guns and I do not want to just leave the pigeons on the ground to go to waste...I will cook them if I could find a GOOD and tasty method. Any ideas?============Why do gas trucks have to stop for gas?

#2 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

Sounds like you have a fun shoot coming up Mr Del. I have eaten plenty of them. Most of those shot do not make it to my skillet however. I only keep the slender ones. I always collect all the pigeons shot in a burlap bag and I take them out to a wooded place for coyote bait or just to feed any critters who happen upon them.I clean them like a dove taking only the breast meat. I have a couple methods of cooking them up. I'll dip them in egg and flower or milk and flower. I quick fry them in peanut oil with scallions and other veggies and mushrooms. I also have used some batter type coatings such as for deep frying mushrooms or hushpuppies and then deep fry them. I have also browned them in peanut oil and then use them in soup stock such as any campbell soup you like. I'll add a couple cans of soup with four cans of water and put that and multiple veggies in a slow cooker for the better part of a day. About a half hour before it's finished I'll add a cup or so of milk and some flower to thicken it up. Try the young slender ones and I think you'll be glad you did. Have fun shooting and I know the farmer will be glad to be rid of their mess.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

When I was a kid I lived on a ranch with a big old barn. That barn attracted pigeons like stink on a skunk. I would go out and spend the day at that barn. I would get inside with my 410, and when I heard them on the roof, would step out and shoot right up the roof. Wasn't uncommen to get 4 or 5 at a time. The group of them would dive off the barn on the opposite side from me, but they always few around the barn one time. That's when I would make my second shot into the group, again often times getting multiple birds. I would collect all the birds and go back into the barn to pick the birds and wait for the others to return. It was a great way for a 12 year old to spend a summer day. I would take all the pigeons in to my mom who would put them in a pot and boil them. She would then pull all the meat from the bones and make a pigeon pot pie, with lots of vegies and topped with biscuts. We loved that stuff and would eat the heck out of it. It was fare for several days.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

I never waste a pigeon. I would Google Pigeon recipes just to see if something sounds extra good to you. But you can use some of the dove recipes on here as well. I like pigeon pie too! We used to add chopped steak to it too and it is something else. My wife doesn't care for chicken pot pie but she likes pigeon. I made it for her parents to try once and they liked it so much they asked to keep the left overs.There's nothing quite as fun as removing pigeons from any barn or building. Have fun and stay hidden as much as possible they'll fly and hopefully come back quickly. You might even take some wild bird seed along and throw it out. I have a steel yard that has pigeons and they hate them because they mess on the equipment. So a couple of times a year they have me go remove as many as possible. It's fun and something an airgun was made to do.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

I would give my to a old mevican man he would make a stew out of them. I have a barn right now with equipment in it and they are cr@ping on it. I need a good beeman air gun to go after them. my Sheridan makes to much noise as you pump it.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Sounds like a road trip is in order. :lol:

#7 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

all thay are is a big dove eat them things Like SJ said cookem like doves :good: :lol:

#8 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

There was an Anthony Bourdain episode where they cooked pigeon. Maybe you can find the recipe at his website.In Egypt pigeons are raised for food and anybody with a rooftop raises them. They actually put decoys on the roofs in Cairo to try and lure other peoples' pigeons. I've had squab in my younger days but never adult pigeons. Can't imagine it being bad, tho, especially farm pigeons.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

pigeon makes good jerky also. Kook like dove like all the rest said.

#10 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

(Kook Them.). We were raised by ;) ;) :lol: the same pack.. I went back and fix my bo bo..

#11 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

Couple times a year I get invited to the SJC water reclamation district to thin the pigeons. They are excellent table fare..I fillet them, wrap with a piece of thick sliced bacon and BBQ.

#12 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

I've eaten them before. Like a big dove. I wouldn't eat any from a city. I use the Red Ryder to shoot them when they get in the shop because it won't punch a hole through the tin roof.

#13 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

They are really good to use as bait in crab pots. Crab is way better than Barneys. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#14 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:31 AM

I found that if you have dogs they really enjoy as an addition to the kibbies. Karl

#15 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

When I was a kid I lived on a ranch with a big old barn. That barn attracted pigeons like stink on a skunk. I would go out and spend the day at that barn. I would get inside with my 410, and when I heard them on the roof, would step out and shoot right up the roof. Wasn't uncommen to get 4 or 5 at a time. The group of them would dive off the barn on the opposite side from me, but they always few around the barn one time. That's when I would make my second shot into the group, again often times getting multiple birds. I would collect all the birds and go back into the barn to pick the birds and wait for the others to return. It was a great way for a 12 year old to spend a summer day. I would take all the pigeons in to my mom who would put them in a pot and boil them. She would then pull all the meat from the bones and make a pigeon pot pie, with lots of vegies and topped with biscuts. We loved that stuff and would eat the heck out of it. It was fare for several days.

Braz, God bless your mother!

#16 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

Pigeon is good eatin. I would not pass up the chance to shoot a few and make a meal out of them.

#17 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Shake & Bake pigeons FTW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users