4 replies to this topic

#1 camopaint

camopaint

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

So, Ive got one of them 6V optronics scope mount lights that Id like to use as a hand held light, while the factory batteries dont last as long as Id like them too, I belive that Red has led me to a solution in a larger battery. Now the question is, in order to preserve battery life and to extend the run time, Id like to find a rheostat for these optronics lights. I see that one of the lights that Red is selling has a rheo, but its a 12V light, and I havent been able to locate a 6V optronics rheo for these lights. Would the 12V rheo work on a 6V light/battery or is there a better option in purchasing or building a rheo? If building one is the only option, where the heck would I start? Lets work this out fellas, those optronics lights are pretty good for the price, the only downside being the run times on the battery, but purchasing a larger 6V battery from the link that Red posted in his for sale thread will solve that problem.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

There are lots of battery places like Batteries R Us and many others. Buy the largest one you can carry because with a 6 volt it will have to be with you. As for a rheostat they are expensive. You can find them on electronic sites on the web. But I think it's cheaper just to go with a bigger battery for the 6 volt light.

#3 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

Radio shack useto have them and I think a 12 volt would work fine on a 6 vole Battery

#4 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Might try surplus stores.If your are near Pasadena,there used to be one on Colorado Ave-C+H Surplus.Should check the phone book though.

#5 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Ohmite is one of the companies I have used that make rheostats. Like SJ said, they are not always cheap. You need to take care selecting rheostats. I used a 100 watt, 25 ohm, 250 VDC, 1.25 turn rheostat when helping a buddy make one for his spotlight several years ago that was mounted to his vehicles. His spotlight was approx. 55 watt and it tested out good. I found the rheostat in a electronics junkpile, so it only cost a couple of dollars as I recall.Happy Hunting,RickNewark is a distributor for Ohmite: http://www.newark.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users