• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

So I inherited my grandfathers 16 gauge about a month after my 870 was stolen and of course went out shooting and on my second shot it had a problem cycling and got jammed. After a long darn time we got the shells out and put her back in the case. Gave her to my uncle (a smith) and he changed out the spring and gave her a total overhaul. I took her out and took a swing at a dove. Shot one was a little out front so i followed up with another pull and much to my dismay my shell had not ejected. What the heck. Well the bird is happy and alive still and I am stuck with a single shot autoloader. I can manually eject my shells by holding open the action and kind of pulling the shell out. It is almost as if there wasn't enough clearance for the shell. Tight squeeze. Kept on hunting but only one shell at a time. I dont have the $$ to get another rig this season and I want to keep using this gun for sentimental reasons and the fact that it is an awesome feeling/looking 16 gauge with a great pattern. I was using the only ammo i can find around here in 16. Federal Game Shok Lead 2 3/4in, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot, with 3 1/4 dram.If you have any tips, ideas or anything please let them roll!Happy hunting holidays,Bear
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#2 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

I had a Browning sweet sixteen for years and loved it. look inside the fore end where the spring is. there is a ring there that can be changed for heavy or lite loads. If the ring is in the foreward position with the chamfer facing the bolt, that is for heavy loads and with the ring at the bolt end it is for lighter loads like for skeet or trap shooting. Hope that helps. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: That is how I remember it but try both ways just incase one don't work try thge other, been 40 years since I fired it.

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

If you have any tips, ideas or anything please let them roll!

Hey Bear, I think the solution is simple. The rings on the magazine tube are a brake system to control how the barrel recoils. Clean and lightly lubricate the outside of the magazine tube. Empty cases should kick out +/- 6'.Here is a link to Browning, the rings need to be installed correctly. ~ LINKSquirt a little oil into a zip-lock bag to carry into the field, or if you're around the truck, just pull the dipstick for a little extra oil if needed.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:00 AM

I think these guys are right about the friction ring. Most browning will have a diagram inside the fore arm showing the proper way to install the ring.If that doesnt do it, it could be the catch that holds the bolt back while the barrel heads back to the forward position. If the barrel and bolt travel together back and fourth without separating the gun can't eject or pick up a fresh round.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

Thanks guys. I switched the rings around. They were set for hi-load. While we were taking it down we saw that there was a little problem in the receiver. the ramp is not going all the way down and thus not picking up my shells in the magazine. We are ordering new springs and hopefully that will work. I'm going out hunting tomorrow to see if it will eject shells but I'm pretty sure it will still be a single shot. I'll update with any new questions. Thank you all again and I hope your holidays were greatBear
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#6 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

I'd recommend setting the rings for the hi-load, in addition to cleaning and lubrication. If that does not work, then try changing the ring settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users