#1 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

i got this .22 rimfire round from someone who told me he thought it contained a small amount of birdshot, maybe for rattlers back in the day. The place where the bullet usually is is a continuation of the casing thats crimped at the end. Any idea what this is? I'm hesitant to shoot it in my 10/22 before i ID it.sorry for bad photo, best i could get.

Attached Files

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will never be needed until they try to take it away."-Thomas JeffersonWe've gone from Neo-Cons to Neo-Coms. Neither are desirable, if you ask me."The devil loaded it while you weren't looking"

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

The picture is so bad it is hard to tell. It looks like crimping at top, is that right? If so, my guess would be birdshot. But I wouldn't shoot it in the 10/22. It may not cycle well enough and could just jam. Why take a chance. If you want to shoot a snake with a 22 rifle, just hold the rifle at arms length with one hand and point it at the snakes head. Get the barrel about 8-10 from the snakes head and pull the trigger. I guarantee you will blow the head off, as the snake will line himself up with the barrel. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Works every time. We shoot a number of snakes up at the camp that way every year.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

Could be either. I've got .22 'birdshot' or 'snakeshot' that looks just like that. Most blanks are crimped as well. I use those shotshells to shoot pigeons and starlings inside of barns and buildings, as it won't hurt the tin. Also carry them in a .22 revolver for snakes.NB that those won't cycle though a 10/22 very well. I've done it, but it isn't recommended at all by Ruger, and generally you end up having to cycle each round as they won't eject, and often jam the gun. A revolver, or single shot rifle is about all they shoot well in.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#4 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

Might be a blank round also like for a starter pistol.

#5 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

if it wont cycle does that just mean ill have to manually cycle it each time and make sure the casing ejects or are there actual risks to the gun from firing it. Ive fired cb shorts from the 10/22 which dont cycle and they werent too much of a pain. I only have 1 of these rounds anyways. heres a slightly better picAttached File  IMG_0545.jpg   80.74KB   50 downloads
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will never be needed until they try to take it away."-Thomas JeffersonWe've gone from Neo-Cons to Neo-Coms. Neither are desirable, if you ask me."The devil loaded it while you weren't looking"

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

If you only have one, why fire it? Just put it on a shelf or something. Why take a chance on shooting it.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

For fun of course,I was mainly asking out of curiosity as to what it was and whether or not it would work in my gun (without damaging it). This particular one will stay in the collection tho.

#8 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

It is a shotshell. Federal makes these still today(#716). At one time there were several manufacturers of smooth-bore .22 rifles, Mossberg and Remington in the past and Savage up until about a year ago. These shells perform much better in these smooth-bores than the encapsulated CCI's. The CCI's are designed to function in standard rifled firearms.If you ever have ammunition that does not function your 10/22, just run your left hand under rifle and let the fingers hold the action closed. There is a small bump upon firing but it does not hurt. Then roll the rifle clockwise with the ejection port down and manually cycle the bolt.

#9 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the tip yodel dog, i'll keep that in mind when i ge my hands on some more bb caps. Any idea on the effective range of the shot? I would think that with rifling it would scatter too quickly to be effective past a few yards.Also, another question about the 10/22, can it handle CCI's hyper velocity loads?

#10 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:30 AM

It is a shotshell. Federal makes these still today(#716). At one time there were several manufacturers of smooth-bore .22 rifles, Mossberg and Remington in the past and Savage up until about a year ago. These shells perform much better in these smooth-bores than the encapsulated CCI's. The CCI's are designed to function in standard rifled firearms.If you ever have ammunition that does not function your 10/22, just run your left hand under rifle and let the fingers hold the action closed. There is a small bump upon firing but it does not hurt. Then roll the rifle clockwise with the ejection port down and manually cycle the bolt.

It definitely is birdshot and it will cleanly remove the head of a rattlesnake when fired from a pistol from around 6 ft. I have several boxes of these somewhere out in my garage. The shot size is designated as "sand."
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#11 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for the tip yodel dog, i'll keep that in mind when i ge my hands on some more bb caps. Any idea on the effective range of the shot? I would think that with rifling it would scatter too quickly to be effective past a few yards.Also, another question about the 10/22, can it handle CCI's hyper velocity loads?

10-22 will handle any lr you can buy, mine just shoots stingers :signs1180lq:

#12 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

The shot size is designated as "sand."

And is very probably steel not lead. I shoot rats with them and it kills very well out of an old iron sighted bolt action 22 I have.
Hunt with your kids not for them.

#13 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Any idea on the effective range of the shot? I would think that with rifling it would scatter too quickly to be effective past a few yards.Also, another question about the 10/22, can it handle CCI's hyper velocity loads?

I'm not sure of the performance of the Federal ammo, but the pattern of the CCI shotshells is listed as 1" per 12" travel. 10"@10'. The 10/22 can handle the hyper-velocity ammo. If you shoot lots of the hyper-velocity I would recommend replacing the "bolt stop pin" with a buffer, such as the one from Volquartsen(link). The bolt is stopped by the "bolt stop pin" and the "bolt stop pin" can be damaged and/or damage the receiver.

#14 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:07 AM

And is very probably steel not lead. I shoot rats with them and it kills very well out of an old iron sighted bolt action 22 I have.

Mine are lead.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#15 MeMe

MeMe

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

They are lead #12 shot. If you shake it you will hear the shot rattle around.

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

You can shoot them in the 10/22 but will have to pick them out with a small flat screw driver I did that with my marlin semi auto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users