#1 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

Well I broke down & bought a Quiver Critter, it was cheap & its real simple to use.1 issue I had with it, was one of the area's I tried to use it in had a real rocky soil & I couldn't get the stake in the ground more than a few inch's.It worked fine but didn't look to realistic sticking out of the ground that far, so my first thought was to cut the stake shorter, so as to lower the profile.But what if I get into taller grass situations, or deep snow, so I put the Kybosh on that Idea.What I came up with was making a base for it to sit on. I figured on using a 2X6 about 6" square & drilling a hole in the center for the base to rest in.Then I read the reviews on the Cabelas site & alot of people complained about the lack of movement, so I thought about attaching a 2 or 3" tall spring to the board & then setting the base onto the spring.This should give it alot more movement.For hunting in deep snow, the stake isn't long enough to stabalize it properly, I read that some people take a block of styrofoam & set the base in it & pack snow around it.Anyone have any experience with this??Any better Idea's???Thanks Lee

#2 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

You will continue to have that problem with the stake because it is too fat and made of plastic. If you look into another decoy then look at the Mojo Critter. The battery life is better, the stake is made of strong METAL with a point that could double as a weapon if you run out of bullets and you can drive into just about anything.

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

Anybody have problems with the switch on the Mojo Critter? I've read a lot of negative reviews complaining about the cheap switch but maybe that has been improved.I've hunted with a guy who has one and his works fine. Are those Internet complaints bogus?

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

Funny you should mention switches dog. The first time I used my "Quiver Critter", the switch literally fell apart. I was so pissed I just threw the whole thing away. I should have sent it back and asked for a refund. Hopefully, they've improved the switch, etc.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

You will continue to have that problem with the stake because it is too fat and made of plastic. If you look into another decoy then look at the Mojo Critter. The battery life is better, the stake is made of strong METAL with a point that could double as a weapon if you run out of bullets and you can drive into just about anything.

Mojo spear?

#6 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

Funny you should mention switches dog. The first time I used my "Quiver Critter", the switch literally fell apart. I was so pissed I just threw the whole thing away. I should have sent it back and asked for a refund. Hopefully, they've improved the switch, etc.

Temper. Temper, Red!How about the switch on the MOJO Critter?This one:http://www.google.co...i...-8&oe=UTF-8

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

All you have to do is take one of your arrows :signbummer8tl: and dig a hole so the little rod thing fits in it and it will shake and turn in circles (on hard flat ground). I also just have it laying on the ground theres plenty of movement to get the coyote's eye. But most of the time I think that stuff is too much bother . And most places I hunt its realy open and they are watcing you set it up.IMO. The best decoy I had was a teal decoy with flapping wings but it did not last that long.

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Temper. Temper, Red!How about the switch on the MOJO Critter?This one:http://www.google.co...i...-8&oe=UTF-8

I don't own a Mojo Critter. Just call me Gandhi. Peace and love my brother. (then shoot them)

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

Works great for crows.

#10 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

Anybody have problems with the switch on the Mojo Critter? I've read a lot of negative reviews complaining about the cheap switch but maybe that has been improved.Changed the switch to a heaver toggle and works great, before the change it would turn on in my pack.

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

the switch is fine.Sometimes it's hard to tell if if it's on or off.I gave mine to tim to see if it works for bow hunting coyotes.

#12 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

Well it took 4 days worth of hunting to wear down the Batteries I used, might be the batteries, I dunno.New Duracell Rechargeable NiMH'sBeen hunting some new area's & the stake is not a problem here, lots of soft ground to stick it in.I'm still gonna work on a base platform for the area's where I can't get the stake in the ground.No problems with the switch, I just remember which side of the decoy its on.At times its a bit noisy, but if you take a second or 2 to make sure its centered up good in the base plate, you can eliminate 99% of the noise. Lee

#13 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

I posted about this decoy somewhere on the forum but I'm on my second one and it works great for me. The added noise it makes while rotating just adds to the attraction once the coyotes focus in on it from a distance. I put my Quiver Critter in some rabbit poop when it's new to eliminate that new smell and put some attractant on it. Then, I store it in a zip lock bag till I'm ready to use it. I lost my first one to a coyote that came in from my behind me on a dead run. Took it and didn't even break a stride while I just looked in awe! Hope he liked the empty fur and wire! Oops, he got lead poisoning from the batteries-yikes!!! :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users