• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

LilShooter strikes again with her camo technique. This one is my Savage 17 HMR.She says the shop is too hot for her in the summer, but the paint dries faster.Maybe I should get her air conditioning and a business license. :blink: dbPosted Image
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

Dave She does nice work. I think they call it a sweat shop.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:52 PM

That looks awesome! Please tell her we are all envious of the great looking paint jobs on that rifle.

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:14 PM

She is talented!!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

She does a terrific job. You should get her that air conditioner.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

When she starts taking orders let us know!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

I think my Ford 4X4 would look good in that pattern. :wub:

Time waits for no one--

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:31 PM

How much would she charge to do my CJ?
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

WOW thats nice did she do that free hand .

#10 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

WOW thats nice did she do that free hand .

She cuts out designs with copy paper, holds them over the base colors as a mask, and then sprays away, moves the mask, sprays again.db

#11 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

Thats a great job and I like the pattern :wub:
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:32 AM

VERRY NICE , Super job :wub: Get Her the conditioner my 223 is going to need a new coat soon.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:16 AM

That is definately a great looking paint job! I would be the proudest father on Earth if my young child had a talent like that! (though I am still very,very proud of the little stick figures my son draws :) )

#14 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

Here is Lil'Shooter with the latest. This is her new HM2. I'm jealous. Now I have to convince my wife I need one for me as well. :) You all know, if we are going to be hunting buddies, Dad has to have a matching one too!!!dbPosted Image

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:21 PM

Looks good. :) She'll have to do yours too. Would that be Lil Dave? :)

Time waits for no one--

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:29 PM

Looks great!!

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:23 PM

Super cool. :D
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#18 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:30 PM

How about... Ol' Dad.

#19 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:49 AM

Wow! An excellent camo job. What paint does she use?Jason

#20 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

Wow! An excellent camo job. What paint does she use?Jason

Krylon has five colors of ultra flat camo paint. Those are the ones she uses. Of course when I am helping her hold some of the masks down, I get a fair amount sprayed on my fingers and hands. I would guess it is the price of being both a Dad and helper. :D db

#21 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

That's exactly what I use. Do you put a sealant over the Krylon paint? The reason I ask is that my brother and I have noticed that our sunscreen is having a reaction with the Krylon Camo pant. It makes it sticky again months after we painted it and then starts peeling off. I'm repainting a couple spots for the third time today and this time I'm going to go over the whole thing with a flat polyurathane coat to see if it helps any. I was curious to see if you put a sealant on or not. For the record we are using the Coppertone Sport Dry SPF #48 that seems to be reacting with the paint.

#22 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:50 PM

That's exactly what I use. Do you put a sealant over the Krylon paint? The reason I ask is that my brother and I have noticed that our sunscreen is having a reaction with the Krylon Camo pant. It makes it sticky again months after we painted it and then starts peeling off. I'm repainting a couple spots for the third time today and this time I'm going to go over the whole thing with a flat polyurathane coat to see if it helps any. I was curious to see if you put a sealant on or not. For the record we are using the Coppertone Sport Dry SPF #48 that seems to be reacting with the paint.

Thanks for the notation. I don't use sunscreen, but Lil'Shooter does on occassion. If you are going to place another coat of paint over your gun, I would make sure to clean the sunblock left on the surface before recoating or the same issue may arise.She hasn't sealed the paint jobs with anything because we didn't want any glare from the surface of the stock. I'll have to see how they wear, and make adjustments accordingly.db

#23 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the advice. I ended up using some fine sandpaper on the parts that were pealing from the reaction the the sunscreen. Mainly on the stock where my cheek rests and on the forestock where my hand goes. The light sandpaper removed the effected paint. I then repainted with the Krylon paint. I used Canary Palm Fonds as my stencil as I have in the past. Then I put about four coats of Polyurethane over it to hopefully protect the paint from getting that reaction again. Because of my English, Scotch, Irish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish ancestory I have to wear sunblock or I suffer badly. I used the polyurethan that is not glossy but it still makes it look shinier than I like but it is the price I guess I must pay. If this doesn't work I'm thinking of stripping it all back down to how I got it and giving up. I try and post a picture later. Thanks once again for the advice about removing the sunscreen.Jason

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

Just a hint here on clear coats to cover your flat camo paints. The satin or flat finish spray should be used over a gloss polyurethane finish. You put the gloss on over the flat camo and then the satin or flat clear coat on last. The reason being is the gloss finish is the hardest and most durable finish. But you want it non glare so you put the satin or flat over the clear gloss. If you read the cans they tell you about this for exterior uses. I know this because my father owned paint stores and sold paints for over forty years. You're bound to learn something being around it so long. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#25 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:30 AM

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put the satin on first.............That's what I get for being the son of a farmer instead of a painter........ Oh well, there's always the next time I paint it.JasonHere's a couple of pics:Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

Just a hint here on clear coats to cover your flat camo paints. The satin or flat finish spray should be used over a gloss polyurethane finish. You put the gloss on over the flat camo and then the satin or flat clear coat on last. The reason being is the gloss finish is the hardest and most durable finish. But you want it non glare so you put the satin or flat over the clear gloss. If you read the cans they tell you about this for exterior uses. I know this because my father owned paint stores and sold paints for over forty years. You're bound to learn something being around it so long. :lol:

Good info!!

#27 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

Wow, very nice:She has talent ;)
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

0 user(s) are reading this topic