• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:02 AM

I have not tied a fly in 3 years. The kids got out and I moved all my fly stuff in along with the reloading stuff in. Fur and fethers on the walls ,( ducks and geese and deer mounts). I started tieing . Man how I miss it. I do not need any more fly's ,but it relaxes me. Here are 2 of tonights flys . I love working with deer hair. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

Nice job. I'm a tier myself and used to own a little fly shop in Alaska. I tied all of my own stuff for a while but finally decided to let others tie for me when business got too good. I hate working with deer hair. lol I use elk for most of the patterns that call for deer hair. Much easier to work with.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

I did some tying 40 years ago, but wasn't good enough at it to keep it up. Peeker, you need to work on taking pictues. :two-cents:

#4 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

Back when I was tying flies, I learned a trick to make deer hair a little less annoying to trim. Keep a dryer "Bounce" sheet on your bench. Rub your fingers and the hair with it to kill the static charge. The deer hair won't cling to everything.Might also be good for keeping red filaments off your camera lens too. Worth a try anyway.Nice little bug. I want to see pix of what you catch with it.Ken

#5 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

I was getting too close . That red lines is a picture my grand daughter made for me in the back ground. Catching fish on your own fly. Is like taking a critter on a reload of yours, its always bigger . ;) ;) :lol:

#6 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

That red lines is a picture my grand daughter made for me in the back ground.

Oops! How did I not notice the little flower she drew in the midst of all her extra lines! ;) Her masterpiece deserves a spot on the world's Greatest Art Gallery... the refrigerator door!Ken(also a proud Grandpa)

#7 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

Yeah....when I taught classes I taught the Bounce sheet thing. Having rough, calloused hands is a bugger, too. I only tie flies I can't get from either the Fly Shop or Kauffman's. The callibaetis on the high lakes in above Bend, Or are darker than most places I've fished so I still tie my own flies for that fishery. Good damsel flies are hard to find, too. One of my favorites is the filoplume damsel.

#8 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

Yes ruff cracked fingers stink wen tieing. That filoplume damsel is a graet fly for pan fish . And bass, not just trout.

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:26 AM

How in the world do you guys clean a fly? are the good eating? what is the limit?

#10 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

soap and water . takes alot to fill you up.

#11 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Thanks I needed that :signbummer8tl:

#12 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

I remember some fly stories..... went something like this. You take a long stick and get dog poop on the end and then dab it on a blank piece of paper about 15 feet away. When the flies start coming to the poop... you shoot them with your air guns. You never seem to run out of small target this way. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ;) Any size dog will do. (pun intended)

#13 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

I was getting too close . That red lines is a picture my grand daughter made for me in the back ground. Catching fish on your own fly. Is like taking a critter on a reload of yours, its always bigger . :signs1180lq: :lol: :lol:

I used to do some tying when I was about 12 or 13 years old, I would walk down the Stanislaus river with some home made beetle flies made out of peacock feathers wrapped around a hook, or small grub flies made out of chenille, or even small ant flies.. Well I actually had them all. I would catch fish after fish drifting those flies in the current while wading the river. Man, those were good times. I mostly do spinning only now.. this is backwards from most fisherman haha. My fly rod has gone unused for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users