24 replies to this topic

#1 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

I'm going to convert my 10/22 to a Mach2. They come in the factory 18" or the Bull in 20." Based on the round is the 20" necessary. Or is bigger always better.:lol: Check out the web site.Thanks,Stevehttp://www.eabco.com/hornady17hm2.html

#2 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:38 AM

Steve have you tried this site BoydsI got my voncersion kit and stock from them. I believe the cost was like getting a free stock compared to EabcoI have been real happy with it Robert

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

How are you going to be shooting it? Target, squirrels, cans ... and at what range? The extra two inches would likely help that small bullet reach out there a little further.

#4 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

I would go with the 20 bull. Let me know how it works Im thinking of coverting my 1022 too.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

Thanks Mark I had read that before and couldn't remember where I saw it. I ordered that eabco kit but am now having second thoughts after the posts I read over at rimfire central. :wub: Apparently there have been numerous reports of case separations due to slam fires. I wouldn't even give this a second thought except I'm left handed and my eyes and face are on the side where the bang occurs. Apparently the shells are catching on the lip of where the throat tapers and not seat properly. So I may buy a Savage .17HM2 semi auto instead. I feel their liability insurance is better than mine.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

Good reports on those Savage 17HM2's?

#7 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

Thanks to all. Boyds is the better deal and 18" looks like the way to go.Steve

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thanks Mark I had read that before and couldn't remember where I saw it. I ordered that eabco kit but am now having second thoughts after the posts I read over at rimfire central. :wub: Apparently there have been numerous reports of case separations due to slam fires. I wouldn't even give this a second thought except I'm left handed and my eyes and face are on the side where the bang occurs. Apparently the shells are catching on the lip of where the throat tapers and not seat properly. So I may buy a Savage .17HM2 semi auto instead. I feel their liability insurance is better than mine.

I did a lot of reading over there too before and while waiting for my kit from Boyds to come in. From what I've discerned EABCo also get their barrels from E.R. Shaw. I've had zero issues with mine so far. I was worried that I wouldn't like the round or it would turn out badly but it's awesome. If I didn't need the stock as well as the barrel/bolt handle I would have called EABCo w/o a second thought. There's a lot of tweakers (not the drug kind) over there and I would venture that they've done something else to enable the slam fires. I've read using a more powerful hammer spring causing this and after going back to the factory, problem gone. Bottom line, don't worry about until the problem arises just know that using an aftermarket firing pin or heavier hammer spring may cause issue.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:58 AM

Bottom line, don't worry about until the problem arises just know that using an aftermarket firing pin or heavier hammer spring may cause issue.

That's fine, but as I stated I'm left handed and my eyes would be on the side this occurs on. So not worrying about it until it happens isn't very reassuring. I'm not telling anyone what to do. Just making people aware that it has occurred. I personally don't want to take the chance that it will occur as it has happened on several occasions so far. If they made a left handed version of the action I wouldn't give it a second thought. I'm glad you're happy with yours but it doesn't change my mind about endangering my vision. :wub:

#10 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

The 17HM2 is finally getting the respect it deserves! :lol:I've got the Boyd's kit and its a looker! Can't go wrong....

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

I think it's a great caliber and will be shooting it in my Contender until I check out the Savage semi-auto. :)

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

Sj savage is coming out with a semi auto ?I would like too have one in the 17hmr.Capitol if we all just goggled than we would need this site .I think its better too ask the board and see what their thoughts are.

#13 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

I have the EABCO factory contour kit and I love it. Very light and reliable. I went through some difficulties with another brand 17HM2 barrel and ended up with this one (after getting over my fear of blow-ups). Either way, do not shoot this kit without shooting glasses and if you hold under the magazine, gloves. I did when I shot the other brand barrel and it saved my eyesight. My hand and arm ate alot of brass, but that can be fixed.btw, is is the Savage you are looking at John, or the Marlin 717?Eric A. Mayer ;)

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

I have the EABCO factory contour kit and I love it. Very light and reliable. I went through some difficulties with another brand 17HM2 barrel and ended up with this one (after getting over my fear of blow-ups). Either way, do not shoot this kit without shooting glasses and if you hold under the magazine, gloves. I did when I shot the other brand barrel and it saved my eyesight. My hand and arm ate alot of brass, but that can be fixed.btw, is is the Savage you are looking at John, or the Marlin 717?Eric A. Mayer :lol:

Eric, it's the Model 717M2. Man I get those two brands switched in my brain. Thank you. I have my EABCO kit. Maybe I could try and shoot it right handed. ;)

#15 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

John,Did you see the left-hand Savage Mark II bolt-action in 17HM2 for $149.99 from CDNN? Looks pretty nice and dirt cheap.It's in my printed catalog, but you can download a pdf version of it off their site.Eric A. Mayer ;)

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

I did download it but haven't read the catalog yet. That .17HM2 Contender barrel I got from them for $149 was dirt cheap too. I told a friend and he ordered two of them. One for himself and one as a present to his brother.

#17 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

John,Did you see the left-hand Savage Mark II bolt-action in 17HM2 for $149.99 from CDNN? Looks pretty nice and dirt cheap.It's in my printed catalog, but you can download a pdf version of it off their site.Eric A. Mayer :)

Eric,CDNN I sometimes have feces for brains.... what is CDNN. Do you have their website? For $149 SOUNDS LIKE A DEAL.

Thanks to all. Boyds is the better deal and 18" looks like the way to go.Steve

BOYDS HAVE THE ABOVE BUT IT'S BACKORDERED 30 DAYS. :)

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

If someone would've posted that link for me I would have been thankful because it answered the posters original question.

Okay capitol i understand I took it the wrong way my bad.... :)

#19 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:03 PM

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/You have to download their catalog to see all the sales, but they always have really good prices on guns. My wife's CZ M452 American, with gorgeous wood, was $250.00. Plus, like John posted, I too got a 17HM2 Contender barrel for $149.00.Anschutz, CZ, Remington, etc. There are a bunch of good buys.Eric A. Mayer :)

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

Thompson/Center R55 semiautomatic would anyone know what the msrp is one this gun the wed site didn't tell.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

Thompson/Center R55 semiautomatic would anyone know what the msrp is one this gun the wed site didn't tell.

I know WalMart doesn't sell guns in CA anymore but it gives you a price. :) http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=3869073

#22 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:00 PM

John,Did you see the left-hand Savage Mark II bolt-action in 17HM2 for $149.99 from CDNN? Looks pretty nice and dirt cheap.

Nice! John sent me the link.... some darn good prices in that catalog of theirs!

#23 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:44 AM

Classic reason for using a forum. Thanks all for your input. On P. 34 of the CDNN2006 catalog is the Savage mach 2 in left hand for all of us that shoot lefty. :) (are John and I the only leftys?)

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:47 AM

lefty here

#25 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

Ive got probably 1200-1500 rounds thru my EABCo M2 without a single glitch. No jams or any other type of failures, nothing. Probably 300 + rounds without cleaning once or twice. Great guns. They do get pretty pricey when you add up everything. I think I have over $500 in mine, w/o scope. Easy to get sucked up with all the fun add-ons. Wouldn't trade it though. Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users