20 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

No longer looking, I am getting a S&W model 63 stainless with a 4" barrel.

#2 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

I don't know what a Single six runs in CA, but they are worth it IMHO. I've got one that has become my favorite pistol, it is just a lot of fun. I've got a Mark II I hardly shoot anymore.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

I have an HRR and they are very accurate and well built. You are really in two different cost categories between the Heritage and the Single Six - you could buy at least two Heritages for the price of the Ruger. If you are able to spend the addl money I would get the Ruger ($200 Heritage vs $400+ Ruger). I have heard people speculate that the Ruger will out wear the Heritage but from people I know who have owned and shot both for years at our range that doesn't seem to be reality. The cocobolo grips on my Heritage are excellent. Not sure I helped much.

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

Single sixes are some of the most reliable and accurate revolvers in any price range. Just the way I like them, simple and reliable. Can shoot the hair off of a gnats ass. Love'em. Ty

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Check this one out.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=243508
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

Not a long drive for you...you should go snatch that pistol Braz found for ya. That's it!

#7 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

I sure like my Ruger single six, shot a lot of rabbits and squirrels with it :rolleyes:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#8 mstuck

mstuck

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Ruger old model single actions

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Another vote for the single six.I think the action on the old models are the best.This thread needs some pics!!Posted Image

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

Here is the Heritage... Notice the front sight.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

It's hard to beat the Single Six. They are pretty accurate. My father shoots a Smith and Wesson that he likes. Don't know if it would be in your price range though. If I was in the market, I would go with the Single Six. Get it with both the 22LR and the 22 Magnum Cylinders for twice the fun!

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

I've got my Dad's old Single Six. It sure is a nice .22 revolver. If you're dead set on a revolver, get the Single Six.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

Another one is the Taurus 94 9 shot. For the money a nice little double action revolver.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#13 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

Pics, good idea. I've always thought the single six was a very nice looking pistol. This one is a new model SS with the 7.5" barrel. I've got the mag cylinder as well, those mag rounds pack a wallop! As you can see this one is a '76 model, with the engraving by Ruger that says "made in the 200th year of American Liberty". :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I had the holster made when I lived in Idaho by some outfit there. A nice fitted holster is handy to have if you carry it much, as I have done. Makes for a good snake gun with the snake shot loads.Attached File  1.jpg   12.09KB   24 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   10.52KB   25 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   12.35KB   23 downloads
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#14 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

It's hard to beat the Single Six. They are pretty accurate. My father shoots a Smith and Wesson that he likes. Don't know if it would be in your price range though. If I was in the market, I would go with the Single Six. Get it with both the 22LR and the 22 Magnum Cylinders for twice the fun!

The thing about the conversion models is that the bore on a .22 wmr is just slightly bigger than the bore on a .22 so sometimes they are less accurate shooting .22lr than with .22wmr. I want it mainly for .22lr, so I don't really want a conversion model. That H&R is really tempting, has anyone here owned one of them before? I can't find many reviews for them online.I am moving to Oklahoma in late June/ early July, so I may just end up waiting to go there where I can go to REAL gun shows, and don't have to pay a dros fee.

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:44 AM

Well, if I were moving to Oklahoma, I for sure would wait. Like you said, you can go to a REAL gunshow and actually handle them and then make the purchase.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#16 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hey Jeff if you can't wait to you're at of state, keep hitting up the Stockton Gun Exchange, plus the other shops there & the 3 or 4 in Lodi. Always check and see what is on consignment. Maybe put a WTB ad on the bulletin boards at the local ranges, not everybody uses the internet.

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,738 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

braz if I did not need arrows i would grab that old one . I been looking at them also an old colt peace maker would be real nice but might be too pricie.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#18 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

I think I am going to wait until I am out of state unless I can come across a killer deal on something.I already do check at Stockton gun exchange, and Outdoor Sportsman in Stockton at least once a week, and I try to get to the 2 gun shops I know in lodi every few weeks.

#19 Dean N.

Dean N.

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Turbo Buick Regals, guns, wine, boobs, photography

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

Another vote here for the Single Six if you are absolutely sold on it being a revolver, partly because I have little experience with any other .22 revolvers! Personally, I like my Ruger 22/45 for the accuracy and controls layout being similar to my 45s. Open sight accuracy has proven to be impressive.
DeanDaisy 747; Weihrauch HW97K; Other Rim & Center Fires

#20 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Tuck, you showoff!!!What the hell. LOL That really is a sweet pistola though.Ty :tinfoilhatsmile:

#21 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

I don't what is inexpensive to you but I just ordered an S&W 617 in 4 inch (10 shot) yesterday. Out the door with paperwork it was $785.50 Very nice gun with great reviews.. They make them blued if you want to save a few bucks there. 2", 4" ,6" and 8" barrel lengths avail.. I didn't like getting my Colt Diamondback worked over in the field so I bought the S&W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users