4 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:14 AM

I am going on my 1st elk hunt (MT) during the Sep '10 rut. The property is allegedly overrun w/ big racks and they are tearing it up pretty good. My buddy & I chose bows over bullets and I am eager to try this. I've been practicing almost daily but my pattern beyond 30 yards just plain sucks and I think that presents a huge problem for me, doesn't it? Can ya get within 20-30 yards of an elk on the ground? We'll be in the badlands, mostly chapparrel country. I gotta 70lb CB set at 60lbs for practice but beyond 30 yards I cannot hold a decent pattern...at 20 yards my 12 arrow pattern is the size of my fist. How can I be so bad at 40?

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Lots of practice and then more practice. You need to know your capability before you go and don't shoot beyond that, if you have a good group at 30yrds then you need to get that close to take a shot. Bruce, I'm not that far from you so if you want to shoot and get some pointers let me know, we can shoot up at the 3D range and get some good practice in.

#3 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Sure! Where's this 3D place? Sounds like big fun! I think my sights need work...I've had little luck adjusting them though. I could use assistance getting em set if you have experience w/ this.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

Sure do, used to hang out at the bowshop so and work on the bow everyone thought I worked there. The range is near lake henshaw but we can probably go to the one on base with Scott( We'll have to ask him). pretty busy until after the first but pm me.

#5 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

That'd be great!! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Can't wait!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users