9 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Is this a good overall hunting shotgun, Remington 12 ga 870 super mag ( 3-1/2" ), 24" barrel with chokes I can get this but I am not sure about the 24" barrell, Can I get the same performance as with a 28" barrell. I currently just hunt small game, Coyote, but would like to try maybe deer and pig, the gun Is used but in great shape. Thanks , I know I've asked this similar question before, but I was stuck on the 28" barrel length.TonyD

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

I have a regular Remington 870 Express 12 gauge 28" and it shoots great with a modified choke. I have no desire to shoot 3-1/2" magnum loads. RA

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

If you would ever want to shoot upland or waterfowl the 24" barrel is LOUD and the shortest I'd use would be 26". Sighting radius is better with the 28" for a new nimrod. IMHO the 3 1/2" shells a a waste of $ and your shoulder. I have bad ears and shoulders. Young guys think they are indestructible, old guys thought they were. LOL
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

I would much rather have a 28" barrel over having a 24" barrel. Unless you plan on shooting steel at waterfowl you don't need a 3-1/2" gun. A 3" shotgun will do just fine.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:45 AM

31/2 inch - OUCH :popcorn:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

I say go ahead and get a 3 1/2 inch gun but like Buzzard said, you'd be better served with a couple extra inches of barrel. I personally like a 26 inch. As far as the big shells go, you don't have to use them but you still have it as a viable option if you ever have to bum shells from someone and that's all they had. My uncle shoots a 3 inch gun and is perfectly happy with it but if he ever runs out of ammo in the duck blind I'm the only guy he can turn to for a few extra shells, but anymore all I shoot is the big'uns so he's outta luck. On the other hand, if I run out I can still bum some of his three inch shells. :) Also you might end up finding a reason later on down the road to shoot the bigger shells. The main reason I use them is because I don't like taking two different kinds of ammo for ducks and geese. A good stout load of #2 works just fine for both of them and I like the extra pellets the 3.5 inch loads pack when shooting at little ducks.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#7 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

I would go with the 28" over the 24" anyday.

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#8 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

Form what I hear the rem express super mag has issues. Probably better to stay with a 3" mag and polish your chamber, or get a wingmaster super mag.I have a wingmaster supermag and an express mag. both are 28" and have wood furniture. The wingmaster even though it uses the same design is like a completely different gun. Side by side the wingmaster is lighter feels better and is a higher quality firearm.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

I have the super mag. and had no problems with it Used it for ducks and geese, the 31/2 well give a real kick only fired a few used the 3 inch mostly :angry:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

The 26" Super Mag was the first gun I ever bought. Since then, I have turned mine into a dedicated turkey gun that ONLY shoots 3 1/2" turkey loads (now). It's got a red dot sight mounted to a B-Square mount.I love my 870, it's killed lots of birds before I made it into a dedicated turkey gun, a bobcat, and I've been thinking of how fun of a gun it'd be on yotes with that red dot sight.I've never had a single issue with this gun.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users