9 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Is this a good overall hunting shotgun, Remington 12 ga 870 super mag ( 3-1/2" ), 24" barrel with chokes I can get this but I am not sure about the 24" barrell, Can I get the same performance as with a 28" barrell. I currently just hunt small game, Coyote, but would like to try maybe deer and pig, the gun Is used but in great shape. Thanks , I know I've asked this similar question before, but I was stuck on the 28" barrel length.TonyD

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

I have a regular Remington 870 Express 12 gauge 28" and it shoots great with a modified choke. I have no desire to shoot 3-1/2" magnum loads. RA

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

If you would ever want to shoot upland or waterfowl the 24" barrel is LOUD and the shortest I'd use would be 26". Sighting radius is better with the 28" for a new nimrod. IMHO the 3 1/2" shells a a waste of $ and your shoulder. I have bad ears and shoulders. Young guys think they are indestructible, old guys thought they were. LOL

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

I would much rather have a 28" barrel over having a 24" barrel. Unless you plan on shooting steel at waterfowl you don't need a 3-1/2" gun. A 3" shotgun will do just fine.

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:45 AM

31/2 inch - OUCH :popcorn:

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

I say go ahead and get a 3 1/2 inch gun but like Buzzard said, you'd be better served with a couple extra inches of barrel. I personally like a 26 inch. As far as the big shells go, you don't have to use them but you still have it as a viable option if you ever have to bum shells from someone and that's all they had. My uncle shoots a 3 inch gun and is perfectly happy with it but if he ever runs out of ammo in the duck blind I'm the only guy he can turn to for a few extra shells, but anymore all I shoot is the big'uns so he's outta luck. On the other hand, if I run out I can still bum some of his three inch shells. :) Also you might end up finding a reason later on down the road to shoot the bigger shells. The main reason I use them is because I don't like taking two different kinds of ammo for ducks and geese. A good stout load of #2 works just fine for both of them and I like the extra pellets the 3.5 inch loads pack when shooting at little ducks.

#7 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

I would go with the 28" over the 24" anyday.

#8 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

Form what I hear the rem express super mag has issues. Probably better to stay with a 3" mag and polish your chamber, or get a wingmaster super mag.I have a wingmaster supermag and an express mag. both are 28" and have wood furniture. The wingmaster even though it uses the same design is like a completely different gun. Side by side the wingmaster is lighter feels better and is a higher quality firearm.

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

I have the super mag. and had no problems with it Used it for ducks and geese, the 31/2 well give a real kick only fired a few used the 3 inch mostly :angry:

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

The 26" Super Mag was the first gun I ever bought. Since then, I have turned mine into a dedicated turkey gun that ONLY shoots 3 1/2" turkey loads (now). It's got a red dot sight mounted to a B-Square mount.I love my 870, it's killed lots of birds before I made it into a dedicated turkey gun, a bobcat, and I've been thinking of how fun of a gun it'd be on yotes with that red dot sight.I've never had a single issue with this gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users