• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

The new HAWKE scopes for 2010 are very impressive. I just received my early arrival on Friday afternoon but I didn't have a chance to really look it over super closely until last night. I also mounted it on my RRA Coyote rifle and sighted around in the dark. This is a killer night scope.OK, I am an advertiser here but I won't boost any product unless I am totally satisfied with it. I own scopes (Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, etc.) that I have paid a lot more money for and in my opinion this scope kicks their butts. Also, this scope is not "inexpensive". I am not even sure of what the retail price will be and I won't know until tomorrow. However, I am very impressed with the quality and features.Here is a quick photo of the scope mounted on my AR. This particular model is the HK4022, 4.5-14X42 IR SF.Posted ImageHere is a close up view. Sorry for the poor photography. Posted ImageI also tried to get you a very close-up view of the turrets, illumination (red & green) adjustments and the side focus knob. Posted ImageOn my rifle, I opted to mount the oversized (2-inch) side focus wheel because it makes adjustments easier. I also mounted the range pointer that comes with the scope and clamps on to the scope body. These extras are provided...it's up to you if you want to mount them. You can also see the IR adjustments.The illumination lights the crosshairs only and does not bleed into the scope at all. I like this scope a lot and I'll be taking it to the range next weekend for sight-in and further testing. More to come.

#2 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

That's a good looking scope. Where are they made?

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

They are a British design and manufactured in China where just about every other scope is made. I'll state this again...the actual quality of the scope's optics and final assembly detail is totally dependent upon the amount of quality assurance the contractor is willing to pay for and if the contractor has his own full time employees at the factory overseeing operations. HAWKE does. The reason I can sell a $400 or $500 HAWKE scope that compares to or exceeds the quality of a more expensive major brand is because manufacturing and labor costs are lower in China (not new news). Many of the major brand scopes are made in China and most lenses are ground by the same companies.

#4 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Nice set up.

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:24 AM

Here is some interesting info from Gale McMillan, a guy that has been in the optics business for a long time:"Just for the record Nikon doesn't make their scopes or lenses. They are contracted to the lowest bidder. The last I heard they were being made in the Philippines I think. I buy lenses from the same manufacturers as most of the Japanese manufactured Scopes so I feel I can speak with first hand experience. Lens are polished to a standard which is the number and size of digs and dings that are not polished out. Then they are coated to aid in light transmission. The better lens are coated with a 4 layer coating and all use the same formula. The glass types are dictated by the computer designed lens system and the flint and crown glass all come from the same areas and the same computer design programs are used by almost every one in the industry What I am saying is while you may think one is better than the next. The only difference between a Leupold, B&L Simmons or any of the rest of the scopes that use Japans lens is the amount of quality control The importer is willing to pay for. When it comes to mechanical design only the American companies design their own mechanical systems. All Japanese scopes use nearly identical designs so there is very little difference. The big difference is where the importer wants to fit in the market place and what he is willing to pay for. If you stay within the same price range it doesn't make much difference what you buy if it is an import. I would pay more attention to which company makes it as that is the big difference. And one last comment. The scope companies don't polish their own lens, they buy them from lens manufacturers and price dictates quality.I have been in the lens factory when the buyer for one of the best known European scope companies was there on a buying trip so the name on the scope doesn't mean a thing on where the glass comes from."\"All newer scopes are more than adequate lens systems in them. Most scopes have Pacific rim countries lens in them and other than the Q.C. on each there is little difference. What you have to realize is that the quality is the degree that the manufacturer is willing to pay for. My feeling about Ziess is that they have mastered the elimination of stray light which gives their scopes a better color than most of the other makes and this gives the impression of being brighter and better. Keep in mind that most of the lens are made of the same types of glass and the same coatings so the only difference in the lens is how well they are polished as determined by the dig and gouges specification and the exactness of the curvature of the surfaces. The prescription of the systems are now calculated by computers using the same programs. Doesn't it seem logical that a company that retails its product for 1500 dollars would spend more on Q.C. than a company who sell their product for $500?"

#6 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

What type of warranty do they offer?

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

What type of warranty do they offer?

All Hawke products carry a lifetime warranty; with the exception of lasers, red dot sights, all of which carry a one (1) year limited warranty. Warranty includes parts and repair of any factory defect of material or workmanship. A copy of your original sales receipt is required. For full warranty details go to our RedHunterLLC Products Page and scroll down to the HAWKE area. Click on the link to the warranty details. They are nice folks to deal with and that is another reason we choose to do business with them.

#8 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting your range results. Please show.

#9 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

Better yet, show your field results with Wiley E. Coyote! Or, Mr. Bob!

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Got rained out Saturday and couldn't sight-in the new HAWKE tactical scope on my AR. I was bummed cause I wanted to use it on the upcoming hunt. So, I'll be hunting with my trusty tack driving 22-250 Tikka this weekend. If a dog is in the scope, he's a dead dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users