• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

Posted ImageHere is a detail view of the hatch dog.Posted ImagePhoto above shows detail of the center seam and how nicely it seals the bi-fold hatch. You can also see the fit of the perimeter seams.Posted ImageHere is Ken the hand model tipping up one side of the hatch.Posted ImageAbove is a photo of the outside with the hatch cover in place.Posted ImageProfile view of the rig's side and it's new low profile hatch.Soon when the interior is finished, we'll post some more photos. For more information regarding West System Epoxy, go here WEST SYSTEM EPOXY SITEIf you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.....Red
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Hey Red, great photos. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

#3 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

That is a slick looking job.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Wow, that is a really great looking job. I'd love to see it up close and personal. Really nice work.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:39 AM

Ha! The only problem is now I want to use the same hatch dogs on my hatch as I found for Ken's. On mine (pictured below) I couldn't find what I wanted so I used simple "bolt latches". They can be kind of a pain. it looks like I'll be chiseling those wood blocks off, re-sanding the inside of my hatch frame and installing the newer type.Posted Image
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

Looks nice. Is that there just in case you need to release the ejector seat? :good:
" When you have to shoot, "shoot", don't talk " [Tuco-The good, The bad and The Ugly]

#7 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hi Red, always trying to build a better mouse trap. Keep up the good work and keep sharing. Much thanks.

#8 RoFin

RoFin

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling...Off-roading...Exploring

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

Looks like first class quality work. I'm guessing it passed the rain test? As clean and simple as the new style hatch dogs are, with your old style it looks like there isn't anything sticking into the opening to catch on your clothes when the hatch is off? It looks like your old style leaves a smooth opening.Thanks for sharing the step by step and the waterproffing products.

#9 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

You might be able to use a CJ style hood latch as well.

#10 sixtyonehitten

sixtyonehitten

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:BBQing, old cars, guns, quads, hanging out with friend and family

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

instead of going through all that trouble why don't you go to the junk yard and get yourself a 52'' sunroof from a junker Cadillac and have it installedin your vehicle.
"It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do." -- Moliere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users