16 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:25 PM

I pooched the topic line, should read: M24 vs M110 semi auto sniper rifleThis rifle has been recently replaced by the Army in favor of the M110 Semi-auto Sniper Rifle. Has anyone shot both of these? The M110 looks like an AR10 to me...with an adjustable butt. What else am I missing? Was seriously considering an M24 & an AR10. I like the semi auto though. I know there are plenty of servicemen here...whaddaya think?

#2 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:12 AM

I haven't shot em but I just watched a show last night on Army snipers. If you're main concern is accuracy the M24 is the way to go. The M110 is great if you want good accuracy with quick follow up. The Army boys made them both look like tack drivers. I'm a relatively new convert to the AR platform and if I had to choose and money was no object I'd probably go M110 because I like the follow up option.There was a recent post that linked to a video of some guys night hunting pigs using thermal. It really demonstrated the value of semi-auto in a target rich environment and for depradation on running targets.My AR-15 is so accurate with the Vmax I'm not interested in a 223 bolt gun anymore....at least not for now.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#3 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

That's where I'm headed next...got plenty of bolt actions but only one semi auto rifle. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#4 bwiese

bwiese

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

That's where I'm headed next...got plenty of bolt actions but only one semi auto rifle. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I have an Armalite AR10A2, 1998 vintage (reg'd CA AW). Love it. Right now it has a 6X Valdada M2 scope on it.Rifle has a chrome-lined barrel and the handguard is not freefloated - but with 168gr Fed Gold Medal Match ammo (SMK) it shoots subMOA if the idiot behind the wheel does his part. (Since the bbl's not freefloated, I rest the *rear* of the handguards nearest the receiver on the benchrest sandbags to avoid flex.)Next project is to FF the handguards with a PRI rail and get an A4 flattop receiver. The bbl's only had 175+ rounds thru it so it's not even really broken in per se. You'll love an AR10.Bill WieseSan Jose cA

#5 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

They haven't quite replaced the M24 yet, that I know of. The M110 is just another tool in the tool box of the Sniper, just like the Barrett .50 BMG, and the M-14 for some is as well. As I have been protected by a sniper team before, I hope that if they still need the M24 in there box of tricks, then they will continue to use it!!! I believe the M24 has been around for almost if not more than 20 yrs of service. My thoughts though!

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

Based on what i have read, the M24 has become largely outdated in urban areas because the jihadists rush snipers in force. The reaction was the M110 which quadrupled their magazine capacity and cut their delivery time.

#7 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

I wouldn't say outdated, just not the preferred tool for the killing in Urban environment. The M24 still has its place in the military arsenal. Magazine capacity and delivery time have been cut, but the M110 is still not going to make those long distance shots that they are looking for (my opinion). What they are looking into now is changing the caliber from 7.62 (.308) to a 300 Mag or .338. They are looking for shots not only out to 800-1000 meters, but looking into shots out to and past 1200 meters (effectively). So ya, the M110 is a good weapon, the M24 will not be replaced for a while. The article below says they are going to continue to keep purchasing the M24 until 2010, but just like anything else, just because we are not purchasing the item, doesn't mean it will not still be around for years to come. Look at the UH-1H/V helicopter. Still flying today in a few active army places. And not like the UH-1, Parts for the M24 (Remington 700), are not going away for a long time, unless 700 lovers stop loving, and everyone else that produces parts from firing pins to stocks stops selling. I'm not an expert, but I would think, and assume the M24 will be in Sniper's lockers for years to come. I looked and looked online to see the effective range of the M110, but cannot find it. But if anyone can, I'd be interested to find the military's Max effective range on it. This is a pretty good read: http://en.wikipedia....c_Sniper_System

#8 vertical_edge_800

vertical_edge_800

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

When I was in iraq we had several sniper rifles. Never saw an M24 I think that may be a little outdated. I did however shoot 3 different types... There's a MK11 which is a 7.62x51 (modified ar-10) nato with a schmidt and bender scope on it, and surefire suppresor. The other was the designated marksmen rifle which is the MK12 (modified m16a1) with a luepold mk 4 scope which shoots standard 5.56 mm ammo but they get special LR ammo for it.... The bolt action is a pimped out remington 700 called the M40A3 which also used a schmidt and bender scope.... I've shot ALL of those out to 900 yards with no problems from any.... What more could you ask for? Technology these days.... That ar-10 costs the us military 5500 dollars for just the rifle though........

#9 MadHatter86

MadHatter86

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowlin, Grey Squirrels, pig, deer and rabbits

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

I shot the m110. Its nice first shot is plenty accurate, quick follow ups if necessary, In Iraq I shot my 249. Wish I had it now lol

#10 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

I wouldn't say outdated, just not the preferred tool for the killing in Urban environment. The M24 still has its place in the military arsenal. Magazine capacity and delivery time have been cut, but the M110 is still not going to make those long distance shots that they are looking for (my opinion). What they are looking into now is changing the caliber from 7.62 (.308) to a 300 Mag or .338. They are looking for shots not only out to 800-1000 meters, but looking into shots out to and past 1200 meters (effectively). So ya, the M110 is a good weapon, the M24 will not be replaced for a while. The article below says they are going to continue to keep purchasing the M24 until 2010, but just like anything else, just because we are not purchasing the item, doesn't mean it will not still be around for years to come. Look at the UH-1H/V helicopter. Still flying today in a few active army places. And not like the UH-1, Parts for the M24 (Remington 700), are not going away for a long time, unless 700 lovers stop loving, and everyone else that produces parts from firing pins to stocks stops selling. I'm not an expert, but I would think, and assume the M24 will be in Sniper's lockers for years to come. I looked and looked online to see the effective range of the M110, but cannot find it. But if anyone can, I'd be interested to find the military's Max effective range on it. This is a pretty good read: http://en.wikipedia....c_Sniper_System

Clarification: I said "outdated in urban areas" where a long shot is 200 yards. Our sniper boys are often shooting engaging targets up close & very personal. Like point blank range and in number. Thus the M110.

#11 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

Hence why I said, "I wouldn't say outdated, just not the preferred tool for the killing in Urban environment"

#12 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

I pooched the topic line, should read: M24 vs M110 semi auto sniper rifleThis rifle has been recently replaced by the Army in favor of the M110 Semi-auto Sniper Rifle. Has anyone shot both of these? The M110 looks like an AR10 to me...with an adjustable butt. What else am I missing? Was seriously considering an M24 & an AR10. I like the semi auto though. I know there are plenty of servicemen here...whaddaya think?

The M24 is long from being replaced. the M110 is just another tool in the box. Most if not all of the M24's will eventually get rechambered to 300 winmag and mounted in a tachmod or an Ashburry chassis system.
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#13 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hey Bruce...I think you just like the "adjustable butt" part. You miss those old lockup days, don't cha? Won't a Grendel do the job just fine?
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#14 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

Red, I feel the same as you, shouldn't the 6.5 Grendel be able to take care of business?

#15 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

6.5 Grendel hasn't been approved by NATO thus it probably will never see action. Also, ammo is a little hard to find. There are thousands and thousands of 7.62x51 ammo around. In Somalia, when specwar personel ran out of issued 7.62x51, they just picked up ammo from the dead skinnies who used H&K G3 copies (also used 7.62x51) and returned their bullets to them. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Grendel round.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

Yeah Jim, Mark has a good, practical point. Unless and until the weapon is approved and adapted, with logistical support for parts and ammunition, it will never be seen in action. What we need is an entirely new, cheaper to build battle rifle that is as simple and dependable as the AK but still maintains the accuracy of the present generations. I don't foresee that happening anytime soon though.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#17 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

the only thing i don't like about semi-auto is that i go through ammo much quicker :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users