• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

Sorry, getting too old for that kinda thing to enter my mind. ;)

#32 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Braz, When your "I'm OK." message location pops up on google earth from downtown Winnemucca or from the Bunny Ranch you might really be in trouble. SPOT is accurate to about 10 yards. Just my attempt at being funny.Dan

LMAO! Somehow I knew exactly what you were referring to Dan, before you 'splained it! haha! Sage advice, Dan, sage advice!

#33 Hunter Dude

Hunter Dude

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for posting the amazon information. I was reading some of the reviews and its kinda scary trusting your life to this unit.I was thinink about jumping blind into one of these and now feel I should do more research. Just remember that whatever service plan you go with, just because the map shows an orange color over your hunting locations does not mean in any way that you will have service there. Heavy wooded areas and canyons can kill your phone reception.

#34 knox35

knox35

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

Does the SPOT device have a competitor?Cabela's was offering them for "free" (full rebate of purchase price) but the catch was you needed to sign a 2-year service contract. $200 or $100/year. Obviously, in an emergency, that's nothing but I couldn't help wonder if they are the only game in town? Anyone know?

Bass Pro Mastinka was offering the same 149 mail in rebate 1 year contract

#35 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

I bought a SPOT messenger this spring to take with me to the Cedarville area. no cell reception in that area for my T-Mobile cell but the SPOT worked flawlessly for my wife and son to track my locations when I was hunting in the fields or when I was in the ranch house. I got the SPOT for free after rebates but I did have to sign on for an extended contract.

#36 michael word

michael word

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Here, around the Bakersfield area, I have AT&T and get horrible service out of town. The best I have witnessed is Sprint.

#37 Mookie

Mookie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

Not only does a good carrier matter but a good phone does also. They are always updated the hardware and firmware in phones to be clearer and have greater reception, higher quality (usually the more expensive) phones will have better internals than the el cheapo phones.

#38 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

Braz, When your "I'm OK." message location pops up on google earth from downtown Winnemucca or from the Bunny Ranch you might really be in trouble. SPOT is accurate to about 10 yards. Just my attempt at being funny.Dan

Gee Dan why how would you know about them places ?? LMAO SOry Couldnt resist LOL...

#39 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

I am lost Why would I be in trouble with the wife if a message says I am a t a Ranch that has Bunnies?? and what is wrong with down town Winnemucca my daddy use to spend the night there coming and going out of state of state hunting every year heck sometimes their truck would break down and he would even have to spend a couple of nights their. Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users