3 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I was just kicking around the idea of buying a coyote decoy. What are the pros and cons of using a Silhouette or Full body decoy. From what I understand the Edge FB coyotes roll up, but I usually hike long distances so was leaning toward the silhouette, either Phantom or Montana and understand there's also pro fowl. Any suggestions on Manufacturer?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

Yep, got a good suggestion. Save your money. If you want a decoy, take an old arrow, a piece of string and a feather. Tie the feather to the end of the arrow, with several inched of slack string, and stick the arrow in the ground by the caller. The feather movement in the wind will be all you will need. And besides being less expensive, it is also a heck of a lot easier to carry. :wacko:

#3 littlejoe

littlejoe

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

I've got a Mojo critter and sometimes works too good, but I know that isn'n what you are asking. I have a place where the yotes and I have long conversations just before dark but they won't come in untill I can't see them. I too have pondered a decoy coyote, but have not used one yet, I am thinking about the Montana but I dono, so I need advice tooo.

#4 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Braz We used to use the old turkey feather on a string hanging from a tree years ago, now I use something like a mojo, I think I like the arrow idea for longer hikes, I'll have to try that. What I was really asking is a decoy that resembles a coyote. I usually do tons of research on stuff before I buy it, but talking to guys that actually used it is better. Phantom says their silhouette is curved to give a 3d appearance and rolls up. Montana uses rings and they all seem to be 21 x 24" or close to it. My next door neighbor is a bear hunter and in the spring I called in a male coyote that hung up in his back yard because of the fence...he wasn't to happy. So what did I do the other night? I was experimenting with some howls, getting reply's and the first thing I hear when I went outside the next morning was another coyote hanging out behind my neighbors bear dogs driving them nuts. No one hunts the dogs around here and they seem to respond to hows and barks very aggressively, so I'm thinking if I put out a silhouette of a coyote it should work great. (just as soon as my wife leaves for town) :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users