• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

Which hand calls do you think are vital in coyote calling? I have a primos howler and a coyote bear buster. I'm looking at other calls but which ones are a staple in your arsenal? Brands and models would be great. Thanks for the info.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

Braz makes some great calls that are also easy to use. I prefer open reed call as you have more range of tones with them but closed reeds are easy to use and can be effective also.Ron

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, Braz makes some beautiful looking rabbit distress calls that have taken allot of coyotes.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

I just bought one of Braz's howler's,haven't got it yet. Last week I bought one of Les Johnson's call Huffidawg and called in 2-bobcats and 1 yote at one stand,it sounds great. I have been using the standard Crit'r call the last ten years,it also sounds great. Good luck,Troy
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

#5 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

I just bought one of Braz's calls, haven't got it yet but have used Primos Hot dog, Mini mag howler, jack and have been using the 3 n 1 pocket call. It's cool, has 3 sounds on it, just turn the barrel for a jack, cotton tail or coaxer.

#6 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

Braz also has great service, hands down!!!!

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

But I'll bet you and your boy have those calls tomorrow Alan.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

Braz does make some great stuff but our open and closed reed calls and howlers are very effective too. Jeeeezzzeee guys, cut me a break here....LOL
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:44 AM

Braz made me a double reed call it sounds great, great workmanship too
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Which hand calls do you think are vital in coyote calling?

Truthfully, you really only need one. I'd get a closed reed jackrabbit or cottontail call (they both work equally well). Braz makes good one as does CA dez dog. If you go to allpredatorcall.com they have a huge assortment as well. For a lot of years I used Dan Thompsons calls (still do). I'd leave the howler in the truck. Just keep it simple. Quietly walk to a spot you can see around you a bit. Sit down and blow the call for 15-20 seconds, look around and repeat. This recipe has called in thousands of critters thru the years. Reading these sites can WAAAY over complicate a pretty simple thing.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#11 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

I haven't used the howler in the field yet because I don't feel my calling with it is good enough yet. I have used my coyote bear buster and I have that down pretty good. My rabbit calls I think are pretty right on. I haven't had a day of ideal weather yet(windy, rainy,snowing). I think I will get one of Braz's calls before too long. Thanks for the advice everybody. I can't wait to post my pics someday. Still working like hell.Ty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users