• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

Which hand calls do you think are vital in coyote calling? I have a primos howler and a coyote bear buster. I'm looking at other calls but which ones are a staple in your arsenal? Brands and models would be great. Thanks for the info.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

Braz makes some great calls that are also easy to use. I prefer open reed call as you have more range of tones with them but closed reeds are easy to use and can be effective also.Ron

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, Braz makes some beautiful looking rabbit distress calls that have taken allot of coyotes.

#4 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

I just bought one of Braz's howler's,haven't got it yet. Last week I bought one of Les Johnson's call Huffidawg and called in 2-bobcats and 1 yote at one stand,it sounds great. I have been using the standard Crit'r call the last ten years,it also sounds great. Good luck,Troy

#5 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

I just bought one of Braz's calls, haven't got it yet but have used Primos Hot dog, Mini mag howler, jack and have been using the 3 n 1 pocket call. It's cool, has 3 sounds on it, just turn the barrel for a jack, cotton tail or coaxer.

#6 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

Braz also has great service, hands down!!!!

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

But I'll bet you and your boy have those calls tomorrow Alan.

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

Braz does make some great stuff but our open and closed reed calls and howlers are very effective too. Jeeeezzzeee guys, cut me a break here....LOL

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:44 AM

Braz made me a double reed call it sounds great, great workmanship too

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Which hand calls do you think are vital in coyote calling?

Truthfully, you really only need one. I'd get a closed reed jackrabbit or cottontail call (they both work equally well). Braz makes good one as does CA dez dog. If you go to allpredatorcall.com they have a huge assortment as well. For a lot of years I used Dan Thompsons calls (still do). I'd leave the howler in the truck. Just keep it simple. Quietly walk to a spot you can see around you a bit. Sit down and blow the call for 15-20 seconds, look around and repeat. This recipe has called in thousands of critters thru the years. Reading these sites can WAAAY over complicate a pretty simple thing.

#11 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

I haven't used the howler in the field yet because I don't feel my calling with it is good enough yet. I have used my coyote bear buster and I have that down pretty good. My rabbit calls I think are pretty right on. I haven't had a day of ideal weather yet(windy, rainy,snowing). I think I will get one of Braz's calls before too long. Thanks for the advice everybody. I can't wait to post my pics someday. Still working like hell.Ty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users