42 replies to this topic

#31 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

this would be my favorite howler in my collection. Hi pitch easy to use custom made one of a kind. Called in a pair in this photo last years deer season. Dropped the male the bitch got away. Buffalo horn I found while I was out hunting. Sent it to Braz to make for me.PM

Nice,thanks for the pics. I will be taking my Braz howler for a field test this week.It's made with wood,not the horn.Troy

#32 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

----------------I think you will be fine with the higher pitched howls. Most of the real high pitched howls I hear are mixed in with the other howls in a group/yip howl, sunrise serenade or whatever. I don't hear many "lonesome" howls around here, other than my own anyway. I do my calling in daytime, and coyotes in my area are pretty shut mouthed in daylight The howls I do hear are what I would describe as "medium" in pitch. Most important for youis to not over do it on your howling. Howl once or twice and then wait for a few minutes before howling again. If you can sound remotely like a coyote howling, you will have some luck. Don't worry too much about sounding "exactly" like a real coyote. Some of the worst howls I have heard were made by real coyotes.

Rich, What kind of scenario do you use while in the field. I see you wrote yips/ howls and a few have wrote pup crys. In the past,I have howled and they gave me the sunrise serenade back but nothing came.I didn't follow up with anything after my first howl.I was just using it as a locator.Thanks for your info. Troy

#33 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

Hey Troy, I hope you don't mind me butting in on your post. I'm sure you understand that I'm just trying to learn something here too. I also have used a howler as a locater, but have never called in a coyote with a howl. Eric, thanks for the info. You suggested waiting a month, is that because of mating season? Thanks, Tom

#34 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

"Rich, What kind of scenario do you use while in the field. I see you wrote yips/ howls and a few have wrote pup crys. In the past,I have howled and they gave me the sunrise serenade back but nothing came.I didn't follow up with anything after my first howl.I was just using it as a locator.Thanks for your info. Troy"===================================================================Troy,The group/yip howls I mentioned is the sound of a family group yipping and howling. You will often hear that sound just after nightfall. The method I usually use when howling for coyotes, is to blow a couple of lonesome sounding howls to begin the stand. Wait in silence for a few minutes, and if you see nor hear any customers, then howl again. Coyotes often come in silent, so don't be discouraged if you receive no vocal answer. Still no customers after waiting in silence for a few more minutes? Time for the pup squeals. You can blow pup squeals nearly non stop if you want. When calling in tight cover, I often place an electronic caller cross-wind of my hidey hole some fifty yards or so. I do the howling with my horn howler, and use the electronic caller for my pup squeals. Kind of sneaky I know, but it works.

#35 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hey Troy, I hope you don't mind me butting in on your post. I'm sure you understand that I'm just trying to learn something here too. I also have used a howler as a locater, but have never called in a coyote with a howl. Eric, thanks for the info. You suggested waiting a month, is that because of mating season? Thanks, Tom

breeding time a howler works wonders. My favorite time to call. Also on the note of them answering back, I would say that 98% of the time I get no vocal response back yet they come in..

#36 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

Not at all, that's what this forum is for.

#37 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

Rich, thanks for the info. I can't wait to try it out. We have a storm coming in,so hope to get out Weds. I'll keep you posted. Troy

#38 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

breeding time a howler works wonders. My favorite time to call. Also on the note of them answering back, I would say that 98% of the time I get no vocal response back yet they come in..

That may explain it. How long do you wait on a stand. I know the howler is alot louder than a distress calls. Most of the time I wait around 20-30 minutes on distress calls for yotes.Thanks,Troy

#39 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

Troy08er,I think that you are waiting on stand long enough. EHD makes a god point concerning mating season. Although the howling will work all year around, the spring and summer months when coyote pups are being guarded by their momma is probably the easiest time to fool Mom & Pop coyote. Mid December see's coyotes running in pairs around here, and I figure that they are preparing for mating season. Even though most of us agree that most mating takes place in February, I believe that dominant coyotes begin to guard their territory more aggressively as early as mid December. Shucks, those buggers can't stand a strange coyote in their territory right now even. When you blow that Lonesome howl, the resident coyotes hear a "stranger" in their living room. They come to run the stranger off. The "Lonesome" howl being non aggressive makes the sound interesting to the younger coyotes also.

#40 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hey Rich, you are the MAN with the howler and make some incredible howls, so how about posting up a "lonesome" howl for us to listen to. Thanks.

#41 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

Troy08er,I think that you are waiting on stand long enough. EHD makes a god point concerning mating season. Although the howling will work all year around, the spring and summer months when coyote pups are being guarded by their momma is probably the easiest time to fool Mom & Pop coyote. Mid December see's coyotes running in pairs around here, and I figure that they are preparing for mating season. Even though most of us agree that most mating takes place in February, I believe that dominant coyotes begin to guard their territory more aggressively as early as mid December. Shucks, those buggers can't stand a strange coyote in their territory right now even. When you blow that Lonesome howl, the resident coyotes hear a "stranger" in their living room. They come to run the stranger off. The "Lonesome" howl being non aggressive makes the sound interesting to the younger coyotes also.

well said Rich. A couple other things on howling. I like to set up differant such as an area that i can see 4 or 500 yards. they like to come in a little at a time and size up the competition. i like to see that and do a pup sqeal now and then to close them in.Also good to have a couple howlers,they sound differant to make it seem like a couple of coyotes. We got some fine call makers here in the club, ill put them up against any of the other makers

#42 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

"well said Rich. A couple other things on howling. I like to set up differant such as an area that i can see 4 or 500 yards. they like to come in a little at a time and size up the competition. i like to see that and do a pup sqeal now and then to close them in.Also good to have a couple howlers,they sound differant to make it seem like a couple of coyotes. We got some fine call makers here in the club, ill put them up against any of the other makers"====================================================EHD,I have called some open country in Nebraska and north Texas where I could see em coming that far away, but here in my stomping grounds the coyotes won't cross much open ground when coming to a call. You are right about the pup squeals. I use pup squeals quite a lot. It is a sound that works all year around, even without the howls. If the coyotes ain't interested in saving the pup, they most certainly do have a taste for tender meat. :1019:

#43 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

Thanks, Troy, Rich and Eric, that's some great stuff you guys are sharing here, can't wait to put some of those howls to use. Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users