Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

Looking for an easy to use howler? Thanks, Troy

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

What size are you looking for? I can sell you one for $30 shipped to your door. Nice wood too, not that crappy plastic stuff you get with the commercial calls. It is also guaranteed, you like it or I take it back, no questions asked. And if anything ever go wrong with it, I'll fix it or replace it.

#3 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

I really don't care about the size. Looking for a female sound. Thanks, Troy

#4 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

To be perfectly honest, I don't know if they are female or male sounds. I do know they work. Just ask the guys on this forum. :good:

#5 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

What's the $30 look like. Thanks, Troy

#6 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

PM sent.

#7 mstuck

mstuck

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Ruger old model single actions

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:30 AM

It usually looks like a $20 and $10 put together!! :wacko: :)

#8 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:53 AM

That's a good one.

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

Here are two I had Braz make for me.Attached File  1.jpg   11.56KB   22 downloads

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

The howler tone and pitch question is an interesting one. I generally tune our howlers to a little higher pitch, sometimes called a "bitch-pitch". I do this because I believe that too low a pitch (one that may be described as an Alpha male) can scare off lesser coyotes. The bitch-pitch howler tone is non-intimidating and has brought in all sized coyotes. Coyote sized predators are always wary and by virtue of their day-to-day life, they have to be on alert at all times. I don't feel there is anything to gain by a deeper, or lower pitched howler. I like a cow horn howler that projects a mid range bitch-pitch sound and invites all coyotes that hear it. There are some excellent call makers on this forum and the most valuable aspect is that every call maker incorporates their own ideas based upon their own personal experience. That's what makes the CPC forum so valuable to each and every one of us.:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#11 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

Red you are right on with the tone. I also like a higher pitch howler for the same reason.

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

Here's one that I made, super easy to use and sounds Like a smaller dog or a female.Attached File  howler2.jpg   122.73KB   40 downloadsI believe that the horn howlers give you more sound, and higher pitch so if you're looking to reach out there the horn calls are the way to go.

#13 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Nice job Jawbreaker. If it sounds as good as it looks it should be one sweet howler.

#14 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

Nice link about using a female howler. http://www.youtube.c...feature=relatedThanks guys those are some nice howlers. I have never used or seen a horn howler in action. I never used a howler that much during my calling and only used it to locate.I want to start using it more in my callingThanks for all the info and pics.

#15 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

After doing my research, I also think the best howler is the female. RANDY ANDERSON has some great stuff on the female howler on youtube. I have never used or seen a horn howler in action, those all look great.Thanks guys for those nice pics and info. I tried to post the youtube link on Randy but it never posted. Thanks guys, Troy

#16 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Do a youtube search for:" Calling Predators 4 - Female Howl " . This shows Randy talking for about 5 mins.

#17 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

Do a youtube search for:" Calling Predators 4 - Female Howl " . This shows Randy talking for about 5 mins.

---------------------------------------------I always get a certain feeling in my gut whenever I read about "Female" coyote howls. Reminds me of the time I was calling with a state ADC agent, and we had this large coyote cussing us out like blazes. The end of it's challenge was the highest pitch scream you can imagine. That coyote turned out to be an old male.

#18 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

---------------------------------------------I always get a certain feeling in my gut whenever I read about "Female" coyote howls. Reminds me of the time I was calling with a state ADC agent, and we had this large coyote cussing us out like blazes. The end of it's challenge was the highest pitch scream you can imagine. That coyote turned out to be an old male.

I bet it was one of those gay yotes.

#19 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

I bet it was one of those gay yotes.

-----------------------------That may be Troy, but he was running with the bitch and her pups. My point is that you can't always tell the sex of a coyote by the pitch of it's howl.

#20 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:28 AM

-----------------------------That may be Troy, but he was running with the bitch and her pups. My point is that you can't always tell the sex of a coyote by the pitch of it's howl.

Ha! I think that statement also applies to people.... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#21 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

Ha! I think that statement also applies to people.... :signs1242cn:

------------------------------------------So are you saying that YOU can usually identify the sex of a coyote by the sound of it's howl? My guess is that you would be wrong at lest half of the time. :signs1180lq:

#22 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

Nope. I'm not claiming that I can do that. All I originally said is in writing in prior posts. It's my "opinion" that a higher pitched (bitch-pitch...so to speak) will be more likely to bring in more of a cross section of coyotes.

#23 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

Nope. I'm not claiming that I can do that. All I originally said is in writing in prior posts. It's my "opinion" that a higher pitched (bitch-pitch...so to speak) will be more likely to bring in more of a cross section of coyotes.

-------------------------Yes, and I somewhat agree with your statement. Non aggressive sounding howls are usually recommended when we are not targeting the dominant coyotes. I also believe that it is wise to stay away from using barks, as the bark may sound aggressive to some younger coyotes. I like to use mostly Lonesome sounding howls, and pup squeals myself.

#24 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

Rich,thanks for your info, couldn't pass up the joke. I am new to the howling end of calling. With mating season around the corner the lonesome howls is on top of my list. On the lonesome howls is it common to hear low pitch howls over high? When I was doing my research, I wanted my howl to be non aggressive, that's why I ordered a high pitch over low. Thanks,Troy

#25 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

----------------I think you will be fine with the higher pitched howls. Most of the real high pitched howls I hear are mixed in with the other howls in a group/yip howl, sunrise serenade or whatever. I don't hear many "lonesome" howls around here, other than my own anyway. I do my calling in daytime, and coyotes in my area are pretty shut mouthed in daylight The howls I do hear are what I would describe as "medium" in pitch. Most important for youis to not over do it on your howling. Howl once or twice and then wait for a few minutes before howling again. If you can sound remotely like a coyote howling, you will have some luck. Don't worry too much about sounding "exactly" like a real coyote. Some of the worst howls I have heard were made by real coyotes.

#26 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

-------------------------Yes, and I somewhat agree with your statement. Non aggressive sounding howls are usually recommended when we are not targeting the dominant coyotes. I also believe that it is wise to stay away from using barks, as the bark may sound aggressive to some younger coyotes. I like to use mostly Lonesome sounding howls, and pup squeals myself.

True Rich. I have to admit that I have blown a couple of stands by barking too much. It's a bit too aggressive for some. Oh well, live and learn. :-)

#27 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

cant beat that squall coming out of a Cronk horn. I love that time of year!!Attached File  IMG_0371.jpg   56.36KB   26 downloads

#28 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

I think I may have an alpha male coyote at one of the places I hunt. Haven't gotten him to respond to any distress calls. Just barked at us from several hundred yards one time, not sure how he (or she) busted us. Any ideas on which type of howl and what time of day would bring this guy in? Thanks, Tom

#29 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

early in the A. m. big lonesome howl without a bark. do it a couple times max. wait about 10 minutes and start in on some ki-yis /pupsqueals. he will show up. Wait a month and he will for sure.. ;)

#30 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:24 AM

this would be my favorite howler in my collection. Hi pitch easy to use custom made one of a kind. Called in a pair in this photo last years deer season. Dropped the male the bitch got away. Buffalo horn I found while I was out hunting. Sent it to Braz to make for me.Attached File  1.jpg   26.1KB   21 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   14.57KB   21 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users