16 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

I got busted trying to reposition my rifle on my bi pod sticks, way too much movement. It looks like the Primos unit adjusts with one hand and it straps to the gun. Anyone use one of these ?.I need to pick up the gun and the stick in one movement.-------------kevin-------------

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

Not sure on the primos thing, but I understand what you mean. Last Friday I had an easy shot on a yote, but of course my shooting sticks had me pointed just a little too far left. Trying to move my whole contraption to the right got me busted and the dog took off running. I'm going to try using my sticks as a monopod setup, I used it to shoot squirrels all the time years ago, hopefully it will work. You might consider using a monopod setup as well.

#3 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

The Primos is a mono pod unit that has a strap that goes over the barrel. It looks like I can adjust the height by just pulling the trigger. I was hoping someone here had the unit and can tell me about how easily the bar drops out the bottom. The strap over the barrel looks like it will allow me to just pick up the whole unit about a inch and reposition the shot.The sticks I have now are a pain to move.-----------kevin------------

#4 Hunter Dude

Hunter Dude

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

I have checked out both the sitting/kneeling and kneeling/standing sticks at Bass Pro Shop. They do have a trigger that releases the sticks and when you release the trigger the sticks stop. I am not sure about the strap for attaching to the gun. I was unaware they did this so if it was there I probably did not recognise it. The sticks were really smooth and took no shaking or anything for them to fall out. Gravity seemed to do the trick here, although they might stick if they get dirty or used??The only downside I saw to the standing stick was that the legs come in 2 sections. Only the top section retracts with the handle, this means that you either need to walk with the lower sections already extended and locked, or you will need to unlock and lower these sections before you trigger the release. This will only matter when taking a standing shot.I have never used shooting sticks before so I have nothing to reference them against. The only thing that turned me away was the $60+ pricetag. And the fact that I thought I would have to carry it like a walking stick.

#5 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

i use shooters ridge adj. bipod and when i see a dog and have to re-adjust postion i do so in 1 motion by grabbing the sticks and rifle with my left hand and in 1 motion lift rifle,sticks just enough to move.....set in shooting position and done i have never been busted doin this YET...... also you might want to set up in the shade if you dont already and it dont take much............shade of a rock,bush,phone pole anything that covers you and keeps yotes in the light... this makes it so the coyotes eyes have to adjust for contrast.i had a coyote that came from the left of me just a few weeks ago. i was set up in the shade of a juniper it came over a ridge from my left it stopped and stared right at me as i had to adjust my shooting position it never moved through the hole process i got set and sealed the deal and it never spooked or acted nervous. just dont do anything suddenly fast no sharp movements even if they are not lookin at you they have execellent vision and movement gets their attn.make a nice smooth controlled and relaxed movement.or you could buy the primos sticks.... i believe if you want something and can use it just get it......

#6 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

Just throw the sticks away and go free hand it will make you a better shooter with practice

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:18 AM

I had been using the Primos Shooting Stik, "Monopod" for a number of months... until it cost me a coyote a couple months ago. LOL It is a Great tool however and very easy and quiet to use. Good height too, which some do not have and why I do not care too much for Shooters Ridge, unless they make one taller than 21" now?Anyway, if I cannot get my left elbow on my knee when shooting I cannot hold the monopod steady enough, where I can with an attached, "swivel" (27") Harris bypod which I am currently using. That "swivel" helps more than I thought it would. I may change again, ya never know? lolThe ease of swinging a rifle is why I had been using monopods and bypod shooting stix. HOWEVER, holding steady is more important to me than swinging easily. Also, are you swinging when the coyote is looking at you? I know this cannot be helped sometimes, but it amazes me how many folks move around when a dog is looking towards the hunter. Patience is a virtue here, that some folks can't seem to aquire. Including myself on occasion. lolShooting off the knees exclusively is fine... at close range; which most called in dogs are! And of course like anything, some folks are better at that than others. That's how I shot for years, but now have used some kind of rest probably since the mid 80's(?) Stix can make a hunt on long shots. They sure made some of my hunts successful, even on some long shots I probably shouldn't have tried... but made anyhow. Both predator and big game!Anyway, research & change is constant on some of this stuff, including shooting stix or no stix I guess.Good luck on you choice.Frank

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

p.s. I meant Primos "Trigger" stick is what I was using... not "shooting" stick. Yikes! sorry!

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

Yea, and when you use those real heavy rifles, the kind that you need a jack just to get them up onto the sticks, you need the extra support of a bipod. :wacko: :wacko:

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

LOL... Hey, Braz, you're telling on me now... but very true :wacko: :wacko:

#11 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

I used my new trigger stick today. It is real easy to adjust height and position. I'm going to have a small bag made for it to fit on my rifle strap so it is easy to carry. Time will tell if the solution to my stix needs.Thanks for the suggestions and help.-----------kevin----------

#12 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:09 AM

Keep us posted Kevin.I use a Harris 27" Swivel Bi Pod & its a love hate relationship, its rock solid steady, but its loud & clunky.I use some home made shooting sticks on occasion, but I always come back to the Bi Pod because it stays attached. Lee

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:32 AM

I bought a gorilla gear shooting stick from cabelas for 50 bucks and they're great.. I'll post the link or pics later. I used to have vanguard sticks and those were OK but I left them up on a mountain when deer hunting and wont get them until I hike back up there next season.

#14 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:44 AM

Keep us posted Kevin.I use a Harris 27" Swivel Bi Pod & its a love hate relationship, its rock solid steady, but its loud & clunky.I use some home made shooting sticks on occasion, but I always come back to the Bi Pod because it stays attached. Lee

Don'tcha wish that came in a 32" model? I have to stoop to line up a shot w/ my 27".

#15 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

A couple of more things about this shooting stick, the top V where the gun sits is made to swivel or be locked down. From the bottom of the stick to the V in the gun rest is 31 1/2 inches.I didn't even see the swivel until I showed it to my hunting partner.----------kevin-----------

#16 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

I have a Primos trigger stick. I got the big one that will work when standing. My only rap on it is finding a good place to carry it without having it in your hand. It won't double as a walking stick as I keep hitting the trigger on stuff and collapsing it and besides that when you try to use it as a walking stick the internal spring rattles like a model A Ford. It works good for me if I don't have to carry it to far. I can use it sitting, kneeling or or standing so it works good for coyote stands but I gave up on it for deer hunting where I walk a lot further from the vehicle.There is a new model out now that expands with the trigger but has two legs at the bottom for more stability. Runs about $60.I hope Wil Primos is reading this because what the Trigger stick really needs is a push button trigger lock to prevent accidental collapsing of the stick.

#17 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Update on the shooting stick.I really like it and can say it's a keeper. I had a sleeve sewed on my gun sling to slip in to carry.It is extremely easy to reposition for a shot. The trigger feature lets you raise or lower it in a instance. The tube falls under its own weight with the trigger pulled. The swivel on the top is a nice touch also. You can lock it down for a tab bit more steadiness.I sit on 2 boat cushions when hunting and this stick is plenty tall enough.By the way, 2 camo boat cushions are perfect for sitting a long time. I took some of that velcro tape and put it between the 2 cushions to keep them from sliding apart. When I need just one cushion they come apart easily. I got the pair on sale for about 9 bucks apiece.---------kevin---------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users