14 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

Is there a good aftermarket GPS unit that will enable me to not only see the roadmap but also display GPS numbers on the screen? Looking to use it offroad. Perhaps a Garmin? If it can be downloaded with Ken's digi maps..so much the better.

#2 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

You can swap mapsets with a garmin but the map sets are fairly expensive. I have a road navigator mapset and I have a topographical mapset for my garmin. They cannot both be loaded on the same sd card, but to change map sets all you have to do is swap the sd card. I keep the one I'm not using in the sd card slot on my cell phone since I don't use that.you can see gps coordinates in any mapset on my garmin. I have an etrex legend, I liked the fact that it takes AA batteries so I can carry some extras in the woods, however it is not good if you don't have someone riding shotgun to run your gps while driving.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

I can pull up the gps coordinates on my nuvi. I haven't played with it enough to figure out if you can keep them displayed of not. My brother ran a magellan in his TRD and it worked well off road but wasn't very good for road navigation( it was similar to what they use on expedition vehicles). I just use my nuvi and have my handheld as a back up or for navigating using lat/lon.

#4 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

So far i have not found ANY nav unit that displays the GPS numbers while you drive. Seems like a pretty simple (and obvious) feature to integrate, doesn't it?

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

All you have to do with a nuvi is press on the car icon and the lat/lon will display. I haven't tried to keep them displayed as I have never needed to.

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

My Garmin Oregon can display Lat/Lon continuously in the display. I have mine set with four quadrants across the top of the display - "Distance to Destination", "GPS Accuracy", "Elevation" & "Location (Lat/Lon)". The Colorado should allow the same, as the software is based on the same code. You can select between one to four quadrants to display on these GPS receivers with the following 40 options to display:Accuracy of GPS, Battery Level, Bearing, Cadence, Course, Depth, Distance to Destination, Distance to Next, Elevation, ETA at Destination, ETA at Next, Glide Ratio, Glide Ratio to Destination, GPS Signal Strength, Heading, Heart Rate, Location (Lat/Lon), Location (selected), Odometer, Off Course, Pointer, Speed, Speed - Max, Speed - Moving Avg, Speed - Overall Avg, Sunrise, Sunset, Temp - Water, Time of Day, Time to Destination, Time to Next, To Course, Trip Odometer, Trip Time - moving, Trip Time - Stopped, Trip Time - total, turn, velocity made good, vertical speed, vertical speed to Dest, Waypoint at Dest, Waypoint at Next. Man thats alot of them...My Oregon 400t is the most awesome GPS I've ever owned - I love the touch screen navigation, and I use it almost every day for navigation and geocaching. It's expensive, but totally worth it.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

I have a colorado and it has the same features less the touch screen. I think he wants one that is used more for road directions whether it be dirt or paved(let me know if I'm wrong Bruce). If I remember I'll find out what unit my brother had and what software he used, It was great for locating roads and trails but didn't have turn by turn or some of the other features that the units such as the nuvi has.

#8 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

I got an email from Garmin confirming they do not make a automobile nav w/ continuous lat/lons.

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

I have been using a Lowrance GPS in my hunt rig and it has worked very well Link to Overstock.com I am amazed at the tiny two-track roads that are on this thing. You can also download maps, etc. My only complaint is that the unit is not very intuitive with respect to getting through all of the screens and features.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:32 AM

Buy both a car NAV to get you out of the city and a hand held unit you can use out of the car. I carry both because when I get out I want to know where I am and how to get back to my vehicle if I'm unfamiliar with the area. Buy a SPOT too so someone can find you should something happen to you if you hunt alone.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:24 AM

Or you could buy one that does both. I use the Garmin GPSmap and installed the citymap software. I can use it for turn by turn directions like any other GPS (it does not talk though - but I am thankful for this, haha) and it is a high-quality handheld for when I head out of town and off the paved roads, with TONS of info/options and little bells and whistles.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

I like to not follow the directions of my Garmin Nuvi just so I can here her say. RECALCULATING! ;)

Time waits for no one--

#13 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

Buy both a car NAV to get you out of the city and a hand held unit you can use out of the car. I carry both because when I get out I want to know where I am and how to get back to my vehicle if I'm unfamiliar with the area. Buy a SPOT too so someone can find you should something happen to you if you hunt alone.

I already own a ResQ beacon...why would I need a SPOT too? Aren't they cellular instead of satellite?

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

I already own a ResQ beacon...why would I need a SPOT too? Aren't they cellular instead of satellite?

Not sure about the ResQ but the SPOT is Satellite. http://www.findmespot.com/en/
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

People you have on your list can watch your progress and check on you with the SPOT. It's a much better system than anything out there. Everything else once you trip it that's it. With the SPOT you can send a track of where you are without hitting a panic button.Look at the link that wanakillacoyote gave but they even have world wide search and rescue.GEOS Member Rescue Benefit for only $7.95 a yearGeos provide the SOS/911 monitoring included in your Basic Service. You can upgrade to the GEOS Member Benefit for reimbursement of up to $100K in Search and Rescue (SAR) expenses - even coordinating a private SAR contractor if needed to get you to safety.http://www.findmespo...dex.php?cid=104Pretty cheap for all of the benefits you get if you ever hunt alone or just want to be on the safe side. It's cheap insurance.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users