• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Does anyone have an old e-caller they want to sell? It could be a cassette style or whatever you have. I'm just not in the market for a $200 unit right now so something affordable would be great. Any suggestions would be appreciated also. ThanksTy

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Check out varnintal's website and look a his el cheapo that uses an MP3 player. IMHO 200 bucks isn't enough to get an E-caller, you would be wanting to upgrade after a few trips.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

Ditto Ron... if possible, try & do it right the first time, as the cheapest seldom ends up being the cheapest. You may want to contact (PM) Soreloser (Tim), as I am sure he can set you up as well as, if not better than most anyone.Good Luck in Your SearchFrank

#4 usahunter

usahunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

BIG TV, everybody is right about wanting to upgrade but if you're strapped for cash you do what you have to do , you can get a johnny stewart e caller for around $50 at Bass pro shops , I have one I carry in my backpack while deer/bear hunting just in case , you can also get a Cass Creek unit for under $30 on E bay , don't let anyone tell you they don't work I've killed a bunch of coyotes with them, your range is just much less, try using the cheapo unit along with a mouth call to extend your range, good luck, Bill

#5 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

Dont settle on the $200 dollar callers. Save another $200 and start shopping around when you got about $400 to spend. I knew a guy that bought a cheapo and he till this day still hasnt called anything in with that thing. I went to the same spot with my Scorpion, and blamo... called some in.El barato sale caro "The cheap ends up expensive."

#6 usahunter

usahunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

5150, good advice but I would have to guess that your friend with the cheap unit probably needed more experience, I have the expensive fox pro but I've also killed a lot of coyotes with the cheapo, as you know theres a whole lot more to calling then just lighting up the caller and waiting for the coyotes to rush in.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

What they said....save up and don't waste your $$ on some cheapo that won't perform.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#8 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

very true, but when a cheap caller sounds like a garbled crying baby, then I put the blame on the caller. You want a quality/crisp sound to sound realistic.

#9 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Learn to use hand calls! Much cheaper.... that's coming from the guy (me) who hunts over someone else's FP5 now and doesn't even bring his hand calls to the field lately! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#10 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:25 PM

Thanks everybody. I'm gonna just keep looking. I'll figure something out.

#11 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

My friend Mike and I took a small CD player out on our hunt yesterday with a CD he downloaded off of the internet. It sounded pretty clear but it wasn't really powerful enough to kick through the wind. I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open to maybe get a good one. Can you say Christmas anyone?

#12 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

I may have a XR6 in brush pattern used about 10 times for sale if your interested.

#13 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

I think I may buy a FX3 and split it with a hunting buddy of mine. We'll see, money is tight right now. Thanks I'll keep it in mind.Ty

#14 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

Learn to use hand calls!

Agreed.Hand calls work as well as any e-caller. The main advantage to an e-caller is getting the sound away from you. If you are hunting with a partner the e-callers main benefit goes way down.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#15 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

Is a hand caller as loud as an FX3? I'm just curious. If a hand caller is louder maybe you cold use a hand caller to get some range then let the e caller take over?

#16 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

I've been using my hand calls to this point. We just thought we'd try the old CD player since it was available. I have a Primos howler and a Primos coyote bear buster. I can do the jack and cottontail in distress with those. Which hand calls do you guys suggest that are staples in your arsenal? Any guidance would be great. I even got out an old pig call to give a little different sound but I haven't tried it in the field yet.

#17 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

I just bought one of Braz's howlers which is on the way. I bought one of Les Johnson's Huffidawg (clear call)used last week and called in 2-bobcats and 1-yote at one stand.it sounds great. Then for the last 10+ years I have used a open reed Crit'r call standard and Crit't call howler and a Dan Thompson closed reed.All of them worked great. I just broke down and wanted to change my call set with some new calls.I like to have a open reed long range,mid range,short range and a howler.On most stands I start off with a short range call then wait 5 minutes then go long range. I would try the pig call etc. That's the art of calling just run different scenario's and seeing what works. I like old school calling and find it to be an art.I love the filling of me doing the calling and being the hunted.For me I really don't care for e-calling but each is their own. I do a lot of my practice calling while driving to work. Good luck,Troy
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

#18 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

I made a homemade ecaller and it worked great. Here are some links http://www.predatorm...deecaller.shtmlhttp://arkansaselkhu...om/E-Caller.htmI made the first one. It can be very loud and with the primos game caller from itunes or mp3 sounds it is nice by yourself. Hope this helps. Maybe hit up Soreloser, he probably has something for you. Have you looked at this one? http://compare.ebay....dPriceItemTypes I know Soreloser can hook you up with this one, it is the upgraded fx3, good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users